Book Thread- what are you reading?

Old 02-11-2018, 10:53 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yikes, I don't know about all you folks who read Stephen King...braver than I, for sure! I read "The Mist" way back when, probably over 30 years ago. It gave me screaming nightmares for weeks and I will not read his books or watch movies of them EVER any more. Actually, I don't do horror of any kind, just doesn't sit well w/me...

I am just about to go lie down and finish "The Rooster Bar", pure John Grisham legal thriller brain candy for the weekend. Found it in the library's "for sale" shelves for a buck.

Liked "The Complete Tassajara Cookbook" (last thing I posted here) so well that I had to buy it, but it was tough to find in hardcover. Eagerly awaiting its arrival!
Old 02-11-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I have been deliciously frightened by scary stuff since I was a tiny kid.
Yet...I absolutely cannot read about or watch anything that puts an animal in peril.
Life of Pi. Nope.
Warhorse, well, finally after my friend convinced me that it would be okay to watch.
Gory nature programs, uh, no.
Fine with zombies getting their heads bashed in, no to tiny ducks jumping off cliffs to get to water.
The wonder that is me, I tell ya.
Snork.
I will give Lovecraft Country a look, Sparkle.
Oh, and in my Sunday yoga class, my instructor often reads spiritual passages during shivasana, resting time.
Today’s was by Mark Nepo, and it was about fear of missing out, or greed.
It was wonderful.
So NOW I have to get something by him as well.
I am going to check the library, as I try not to collect books.
Not much room, and too heavy to move.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm not much into horror reading but I did go through a Stephen King phase in college & lost sleep over Pet Sematary & Misery. Like - literally could NOT allow myself to sleep until I finished the books because both times I scared myself so badly just from his writing. His books are always far more intense for me than they ever manage to capture in the movie versions.

I finished The Alchemist on audio CD & am going to slow down now & go back to READ it properly. Lots to take in there, reminds me very much of The Shack in it's parable-like format.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:20 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Since I'm still reading the 1200+ page hardcover book at home, I had to find something to replace Lovecraft Country for my commute. On a whim I picked up a book my husband got me for Christmas called The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin, book one of a series called The Broken Earth. I'm about 75 pages in and other than "apocalyptic," I'm not sure exactly what it is yet, but already it's been really specific in its world-building, which I love.

Are y'all on Goodreads? I very frequently find my next book that way, just from seeing what my Facebook friends are reading!
Old 02-12-2018, 07:24 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Are y'all on Goodreads? I very frequently find my next book that way, just from seeing what my Facebook friends are reading!
Yep!!... my next recommendation is The Glass Forest by Cynthia Swanson. Her first book was a great, intense but easy read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-glass-forest
Old 02-12-2018, 07:25 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Oh, and re: Stephen King -- I grew up on the guy. My parents kept his paperbacks in an old bureau drawer under their bed and thought we'd never find them there. Ha. I read Carrie for the first time when I was around 9.

When I finished the last Dark Tower book, I went back to the beginning of his bibliography and started re-reading the books in the order they'd been published. It was fascinating on many different levels. First off, reading how detached he was at as writer when he first started (stylistically--certainly The Shining is a book written by someone descending into addiction who has no idea they are on that road yet) compared to how personal his later books feel. How much better we know him.

I read his On Writing every couple of years, as well.

He's on my list of famous people whose passing will devastate me. After losing Tom Petty last year, I'm gonna need Mr. King to stick around awhile...
Old 02-12-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Yep!!... my next recommendation is The Glass Forest by Cynthia Swanson. Her first book was a great, intense but easy read.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-glass-forest
Ha! I already have that on my "Want to Read" list!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

The Present by Spencer Johnson (M.D.)

He also wrote a book called 'Who Moved My Cheese'
Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Addictive Thinking, by Twerski. Sane, useful and clear.

I'm also reading some cookbooks (I really love a well-written cookbook). Milk Street by Christopher Kimball, and Gluten Free on a Shoestring Quick & Easy. Milk Street marries together world cuisines in a fashion that's easy to execute. And GF on a ShoeString Quick and Easy has made my GF life easier, and tastier. She writes really well, too. Just a nice, conversational style.

In the cooker:
Sophie's Choice
The Hate U Give
Old 02-12-2018, 09:57 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Mmm, Sophie's Choice is one of the most beautifully-written books I've ever read. Just devastating use of language.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:48 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I get Goodreads, and I pick up the paper Book Page whenever I am at the library.
I also subscribe to Cemetary Dance, which features horror fiction.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I am listening to One Day at a Time in Al Anon in my car every day.

I also dip into Courage to Change now and again
Old 02-12-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Fiction: Into the Water by Paula Hawkins

I love books and as I have a long commute to work via car I now download audio books with Audible. I have got through quite a few, fiction and non fiction
Old 03-11-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

While looking for "Love Warrior" at the library (looking forward to reading this next!), I came across "Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy" by Sheryl Sandberg & Adam Grant. I have found it fascinating and a great read for where I currently am. I find myself taking notes for future reference.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:01 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Just want to share a funny story.....

Years ago, when I was needing something to read, I asked my sister if she had anything, good? She handed me a copy of "French Lieutenant's Woman".
I proceeded to read it...but got confused near the end of the book...and I wouldn't figure out why....so , I kept turning back and reading some sections over and over....
so, I called my sister and told her that there was something that was confusing me...."Why can't I understand?".....
She laughed, and asked me...."You know that this book has two different endings, don't you?"

Duh!!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:11 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Still reading my 1200+ page opus, about a third of the way through.

Also reading Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box. Joe Hill is Stephen King's son, and the resemblance between Hill's writing and King's earlier works is uncanny. Very enjoyable!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:59 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Oh I started a new one this weekend and am half way through - "A Dirty Job" by Christopher Moore.

I LOVE dark stories, and if there is humor in it, well it just doesn't get much better than that. The language and writing is fantastic, and a very compelling story about a man who loses his wife immediately after she gave birth to her first child. He slowly starts to realize that after the event, he has unwillingly become employed as an agent of death...and his new baby daughter is a miniature grim reaper. The characters are vivid and the story is hysterical, and now I want to read all of his books!
Old 03-12-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Dangerous question for a literature major! haha

Apart from my reading lists for classes (I would not inflict these on innocent bystanders) I'm bouncing between The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz (a really refreshing twist on a coming of age story set in some of the tougher immigrant neighborhoods of New Jersey) and Integral Recovery by John Dupuy, not far into this one yet but I'm digging it so far.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:02 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

i do audiobooks...primarily on my wonderful seattle commute, roughly an hour each way on a GOOD DAY, if you try listening to AM radio with traffic on the 10's, or the 4's, or the 11's.....you get a repeat every ten minutes. which can drive a person crazy after a while.....yes i'm still not moving, and yes i know there's a wreck somewhere and the DOT is taking their sweet time, and yes i too can tell it's raining!!!!

i do try the occasional self help, inspirational....was trying to give The Book of Joy with the Dali Llama and Tutu....and i found it REALLY hard to have Compassion (a word repeated no less than 532 times!) in frickin' traffic!!!! i do not feel compassion for the tailgating jerk laying on his horn because i can't get the 112 cars ahead of me to move faster.

the problem with audiobooks vs hard copy books is that you can't really flip back to an earlier reference. like wait.....who was Mr. Smith again? also tough if you hear a word you don't recognize.

i took voice-over classes years ago, but didn't have the confidence to take a next step. now i'm starting to think about it again......just thinking.....read this one narrator's blog who suggested you try reading out loud in a small enclosed space every day for two weeks and see if the gild is off the lily.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Now reading Winter Stroll by Elin Hilderbrand.
It takes place, as many of her books do, on Nantucket.
Though I live on the Mass. coast, I have never been to Nantucket, and plan to jaunt over there some time soon.
Been to the Vineyard many times, but not Nan.