To buy the house or not? What to expect..

Old 01-15-2018, 07:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To buy the house or not? What to expect..

My husband is a functioning alcoholic. We've been together for only two years. We have a ten month old son.

My husband has lied about, been decieving, and hidden his alcohol. He can be very manipulative and victimize himself. He diverts any conversation I bring up about alcohol by victimizing himself and hyper focusing on a 30 second interaction we had where I may have interrupted him or been sarcastic. He has admitted he has a problem.

We have the opportunity to buy a house (that we have lived in almost 2 years) from my grandparents slightly below market value. It's an awesome opportunity because of the built in equity. He has not taken active steps to work on his drinking issue.

I love him and my family. This is my home. I would be an emotional mess if I had to leave this house. I'm having doubts in buying the house because my husband hasn't taken active steps to work on his drinking.

Maybe this decision should be clearer to me. He has gone a month and a half without drinking only to binge and start again. I don't want to lose my home. I don't want to lose my family. I don't want my son to grow up around this lifestyle. He says he can stop if he wants but it doesn't last long.

Buying a house is a big decision and this is a good opportunity. I don't want to be hasty and make the wrong decision. Any advice?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Buying the house may be a good opportunity.

Buying a house with an alcoholic who is in active addiction or early recovery is not.

Take things one day at a time. Things will become clearer as you look for your way through this.

You're asking good questions. Alcoholism is chronic, progressive and effects the whole family. "High functioning" is a phase. To stop drinking for periods of time is how the disease works to fool the alcoholic and us into thinking we can get through this without outside support.

Alanon is for family and friends who are concerned about someone's drinking.

http://al-anon.org/
Old 01-15-2018, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango blast View Post
Buying the house may be a good opportunity.

Buying a house with an alcoholic who is in active addiction or early recovery is not.
Thank you. I think I'm telling myself excuses for him. To make things look better than what they are. I brought my son home here. I got married here. I met my husband here. Leaving would be hard but I don't want to make a stupid decision.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ask your grandparents if you can continue to live there for another year, paying rent possibly.

If you own this house with him, if the marriage ends you most likely have to buy him out or sell it and divide the proceeds. The courts won’t care about whose family owned it or any emotional attachment you may have...it’s just an asset.

Sending you strength and clarity.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is feasible to buy the home in your name only and not his? Perhaps your grandparents could "insist" it be handled this way?

Otherwise the risk is incredibly high that all that equity will be a huge problem if you were to divorce. I ended up buying my husband out of the portion of his equity for the home I put the whole down payment on and made every payment for. I almost lost it, and it was hugely emotionally upsetting.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd caution against it. I had my own house I'd bought outright but after 20 years of marriage my exah got it in the divorce"settlement" which basically came down to a war of attrition and all the equity in it in danger of going on legal fees. I backed down cos my twin boys wanted to live with him but he couldn't care for them and it ended up me and my son's in rented 8 months later and him still with the marital home he then sold and drank all the equity out of it. It was a beautiful 7 bedroom semi detached house with a huge garden and it has gone forever. I am now in social housing with my sons and he has bought another house he is selling yet again to release more equity to drink. He will do this until he ends up in rented himself. He did not care it was our home, he did not care that our 8 children had to move out because of him. He didn't care I was attached to the house and loved being there.

It's early days for you. Alcoholics are functioning until they are not and my exah went downhill rapidly. You do not describe a happy relationship in your post at only 2 years in. I'd keep my options open if I were you.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would advise against it - even if you got it in your name only, in my state it would still be divvied up as joint property acquired during the marriage. If you plan to divorce (and in turn save your kids from growing up in an addicted household), then I would use the suggestion of AriesAgain and just rent it out - then if/when you divorce, then you can buy it in your name only.

We had to move to get DS in a better school district, and ended up building a new house. Now we will have to sell it because I filed for divorce last week.

I would never do ANY sort of financial transaction with an A - even though they might currently be not drinking - it doesn't mean their mind is right.

COD
Old 01-16-2018, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agree with others--sounds like he's not doing all the well functionally,
and tying yourself financially to him further is not in your best interest.

Ask you grandparents to wait if you can and let you rent.
If things go south, he can be evicted and then you can buy the house
after divorce.

If he gets well, great, but I'd wait a good amount of time--
Old 01-16-2018, 05:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would speak to a lawyer about a post nuptial agreement about the house. Renting a house from parents may cause some finacial issues of they would pass away .
Old 01-16-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
I would speak to a lawyer about a post nuptial agreement about the house .
I like that idea and I don't. He might see that as a red flag of a pending divorce, and if he has some wits about him, will dig in his heels and insist on no post-nup because he knows he will come out on the short-end of the stick.

But maybe a convo with a lawyer is warranted anyway.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

One can't control another person. A private consultation with a lawyer is necessary. A conversation starting from his in laws would be less of a red flag, maybe.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I agree COD. I think the likelihood of him agreeing to a post nup is nil no matter who broaches it.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would cut a deal w/grandparents for them to gift the equity to you and you only, specifically, and continue to rent. I know in the state I reside, if it is gifted to you specifically from a family member, such as willed to you, it's hands off for anyone else. Just a thought. I would talk to an attorney.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I would cut a deal w/grandparents for them to gift the equity to you and you only, specifically, and continue to rent. I know in the state I reside, if it is gifted to you specifically from a family member, such as willed to you, it's hands off for anyone else. Just a thought. I would talk to an attorney.
Good point, didn't think of that!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

be careful that you don't see this HOUSE as some type of leverage to get him to change. buying a house doesn't get anyone sober. having children doesn't get anyone sober. having an upset spouse doesn't do it i either. also make sure you are not diverting your attention from the BIG problem in your marriage - an active alcoholic husband.

i certainly would NOT recommend making such a large long term financial commitment with someone who is unstable and unreliable.

if your grandparents own the home, is there really an urgency to making a decision THIS WEEK?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That was what I was suggesting. But a husband would still have a share in it even if willed to a spouse. Husband would to sign off on his share in my state. IME. The best thing is not to get to attached to material items.

Last edited by DesertEyes; 01-16-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

In this state even if you are married, if it is willed to you specifically, the husband would not have a share.

That was what I was suggesting but not to a husband would still have to sign off on his share.

Last edited by DesertEyes; 01-16-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

When I met my addict, her & her daughter were living in a scary run down home. After about 6 months I decided to buy a home for them to live in. I don't believe I disclosed this fact previously on SR when I posted my story.

My addict & I went & looked at houses. We picked out a beautiful home. It was in a great safe neighborhood. Close in proximity to her daughters school. House had everything: newer construction, garage, full furnished basement, beautiful tiled bathrooms, eat in kitchen, dining room, all new complete appliances, walk in closets, etc etc. We were both extremely emotionally attached to this house.

I bought the house & paid for all the monthly bills. This house was to be her start for a good stable quality life.

After about a year & a half, I had to force her to move out. There were drug arrests & illegal activities going on. Her addiction totally out weighed any notion of a safe stable good home for her & her daughter. It ended in a disaster.

Today the beautiful house sits empty. I had it all fixed back up after she moved out. I will sell it but haven't yet.

I thought the house would be a big factor in turning her life around. I was wrong - dead wrong.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2018, 10:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

HardLessons.....Wow.....just wow......
Old 01-16-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
Today the beautiful house sits empty. I had it all fixed back up after she moved out. I will sell it but haven't yet.

I thought the house would be a big factor in turning her life around. I was wrong - dead wrong.
We built a new house into which we moved in March 2017. I was hoping (falsely) that the new home would bring new hope and a better environment for AW - no luck there either. I feel for ya