Updates. Talked to Priest and Other Stuff. And Quacking

Old 01-08-2018, 11:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
He did say that the marriage is probably beyond saving, but that I need to approach it in a different manner. After Friday's tirade - NO!
seems like ya already have approached it in a different manner.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You've shown compassion, likely more than she deserves. Good for you for recognizing what your priest could not.

Thank you for continuing to share your journey. It has helped me look at my own situation more honestly.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
I have been 'priming the pump' with conversations about: people argue, people have disagreements, it's a brand new year and with each year comes change - some changes make us happy, and sometimes changes make us very sad - but in the end know that mommy and daddy love you more than anything, and the daddy has only what is in DS's best interests, though it may not always feel that way. But, he needs to know that I love him and he needs to trust me. And one more thing - he is not responsible for anyone's feelings or happiness, that needs to come from within.

You know what? I can't think of a single thing you HAVEN'T tried COD. In fact, your story is a perfect example of someone who has tried everything, for as long as humanly possible, more than is sometimes even reasonable, in these kinds of situations.

You're an amazing dad & you've gone as far as you can without signing up to go crazy in this process. Hang in there, it's not going to be easy but regardless of the outcome, it will be worth it.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Going to a priest for help with ending a toxic marriage is like
going to the hardware store for bread........

I absolutely believe my higher power is more concerned about
the health and spirituality of the two people in a marriage than
the marriage itself.

Lest we forget that priests & bishops used to sell "indulgences"
to parishioners as a guarantee to heaven & they would even
throw in a pass to get your beloved relatives out of purgatory.

Please don't spend any precious time concerning yourself
with his advice, you know what's best and he hasn't a clue.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I have been 'priming the pump' with conversations about: people argue, people have disagreements, it's a brand new year and with each year comes change - some changes make us happy, and sometimes changes make us very sad - but in the end know that mommy and daddy love you more than anything, and the daddy has only what is in DS's best interests, though it may not always feel that way. But, he needs to know that I love him and he needs to trust me. And one more thing - he is not responsible for anyone's feelings or happiness, that needs to come from within.
Aww..this is so great, and immediately made me think of one of my favorite "feel good" songs. Hang tough COD. THe home stretch is in sight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08kEFELCb3I
Old 01-08-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Reading your story reminded me of a warning I got from a friend ... be careful who you share with as not a lot of people will understand what you are going through.

Folks mean well, but they just don't know.

Good on you for moving forward!

Last edited by Wheelsup; 01-08-2018 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typos - apparently I have clumsy fingers
Old 01-08-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

You are an awesome dad COD--wish you'd been in my corner when I was a child
Old 01-08-2018, 05:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

FWIW - just to say that not all priests or ministers are clueless about alcoholism - my minister told me once that in her experience, the toughest and most determined people she had ever met were single parents who had walked away from addicts. And this is coming from someone who has worked in some pretty rough places.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
FWIW - just to say that not all priests or ministers are clueless about alcoholism - my minister told me once that in her experience, the toughest and most determined people she had ever met were single parents who had walked away from addicts. And this is coming from someone who has worked in some pretty rough places.
Sasha, I met a Catholic man who had been married to an alcoholic. He had gone to a priest who was a recovering alcoholic; this priest told him, "Throw her naked into the snow. Lock the door and do not listen to her screams.". I know it is a bit harsh but our very own Tom-Steve gives us a bit of an Alcaholics-eye-view at times and it isn't typically: be more compassionate.

COD I hope this next year brings you to a place of more peace, joy and yes, more compassion for your AW. Honestly after many years away from my qualifier I do feel true compassion for him. I would not have felt this for him if I stayed.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
Oh totally - my own minister had to divorce her alcoholic husband a couple of years ago. It just varies wildly. These days it should probably be part of divinity school.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Didn't mean to step on any toes with comment about priest...
Sorry, getting back on my side of the street....

I think its unfair to expect a priest, by virtue of his celibacy, to
understand the intimate dynamics of a GOOD marriage much
less one being derailed by addiction. Kind of like expecting a
young couple to understand the bone deadening exhaustion
of bringing home a newborn- sure they think they know......
Old 01-08-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I talked to a priest after I left my ex. I said, but if we don't help him, he might die! The priest said, that might happen, that might happen but you have to NOT contact him for any reason and let him hit bottom. This particular priest you were talking to has no experience with addiction, sorry.

You have done every thing possible to make things right. You are protecting your son. Bravo! I hope the divorce goes as smooth as can be.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi COD, thinking of you today.

From a purely strategic POV you would have been crazy to warn her. As soon as she gets a bottle down her neck she would be acting out and that's not good for your DS. You would have had days of it.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:05 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mylifeismine View Post
Going to a priest for help with ending a toxic marriage is like
going to the hardware store for bread........

I absolutely believe my higher power is more concerned about
the health and spirituality of the two people in a marriage than
the marriage itself.

Lest we forget that priests & bishops used to sell "indulgences"
to parishioners as a guarantee to heaven & they would even
throw in a pass to get your beloved relatives out of purgatory.

Please don't spend any precious time concerning yourself
with his advice, you know what's best and he hasn't a clue.
Dear MyLife
You are quite right that the sale of indulgences is sinful, and is a blight on my church's history.
The LEGITIMATE use of Indulgences, however, has proven to be a great source of healing from addiction in my own life.
Too bad our culture threw the "baby" out with the bathwater!!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 06:10 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Dear Dad
In spite of your priest's apparent lack of knowledge about addictions, I hope he offers you some support during this time. If you are Catholic, I also hope the Church can assist you with an Annulment. Your wife has broken several commandments, including the first one, that might have rendered your marriage invalid.

Since today is your filing day, I will offer up this morning office and Rosary for you and your child.
I believe you are dealing with a spiritual entity or entities in your wife that is/are diabolical in nature.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Sorry, MyLife, I have to disagree with you again.
I have known MANY priests (the majority, actually) who have an excellent understanding of the dynamics in a marriage. Christ himself after all, was celibate, and will be until his own marriage supper.
Conversely, we ALL know married people who don't have a clue about how to have a healthy marriage. Posts about them constitute the bulk of these pages.

I would appreciate your refraining from posting about Catholicism in such a negative fashion.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Wow. Just wow. By that logic I guess a cancer patient probably shouldn't go to an oncologist who has never had cancer.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

There are wise spiritual leaders and those who are clueless. Addiction training should definitely be mandatory.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
Dear Dad
In spite of your priest's apparent lack of knowledge about addictions, I hope he offers you some support during this time. If you are Catholic, I also hope the Church can assist you with an Annulment. Your wife has broken several commandments, including the first one, that might have rendered your marriage invalid.

Since today is your filing day, I will offer up this morning office and Rosary for you and your child.
I believe you are dealing with a spiritual entity or entities in your wife that is/are diabolical in nature.
Thank you. I'm Episcopalian, but was raised Catholic - so I still have the Catholic guilt hanging over me as I go through this process. Breaking the Sacrament of Marriage is a tough one to swallow, but I believe it was broken previously through her emotional affair and subsequent drunkenness.

Heading to the attorney's office now.

Am happy to see all my friends on the Codie Bus!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

We will be waiting on the Codie Bus outside the office to pick you up LOL!!!!

Big deep breaths friend!