My dad is an Alcoholic

Old 01-10-2018, 08:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My dad was an alcoholic

Originally Posted by Amber1991 View Post
I’m new to this and have never posted anything like this before. I’m 26 years old and from Australia. My dad called me drunk tonight which is a fairly common thing, And so here I am. I can’t remember exactly when I first noticed my dad had an alcohol addiction but it was a young age. My dad always had a bottle of beer next to him while watching the football and was always at the pub in the afternoon. My dad still doesn’t admit at the age of 57 years old that he has a problem, he sees an alcoholic as being someone who bashes their family and is always stumbling around. My dad was a registered nurse until around 13 years ago when he lost his nursing licence due to allegations of him turning up to work drunk, giving patients inadequate medical care and having an alcohol induced seizure. This is when the alcohol had caught up to him and was a turning point in my family’s life. My mum and Dad split up when I was 9 years old and he moved to Tasmania to start a new life with his new girlfriend. When the relationship went sour due to his drinking my dad moved back and expected life to pick up where he had left it. My mother brother and I moved to another house as she couldn’t live with him. My dad couldn’t just let my mother move on and continuously called her drunk yelling verbal abuse down the phone. He come around the house one night when I had my friend over for a sleepover and pulled the screen door off it’s hinges and threatened to break the door down if we didn’t let him in. This was the first time I called the police on my father. Eventually my dad convinced my mum to move back to the family house as he said it was the best thing for the family to be together. This would turn out to be far from the truth. My dad was the funny happy person he could be when he wasn’t drinking for a few weeks when we moved back but surely soon things turned back to normal. My dad would come home from the pub every weekend and sometimes on the weeknights and start a fight with my mum, he was not physically abusive ( although there were a few times when this did happen) but verbally and mentally very much so. I would hear my parents yelling (mainly my dad) most nights. The conversations would generally be about my mother raising us kids wrong and everything that she had done wrong, even though my mother had never done anything to deserve his abuse. There were times when my dad had come home and collaspsed with his head going through the wall, there were times when he broke things like the hot plate or the front window but couldn’t remember doing it so blamed my brother and I for it. I don’t remember a day that my dad has not had a drink since I was young. I have heard countless times my dad crying in the bedroom with my mother telling her that he is going to kill himself, reverting back to his younger self where there was constant physical abuse in the house from an alcoholic father. My dad was molested at the age of 15 by his football coach as I found out one night when he was drunk. My dad doesn’t see this as a ‘big deal’ he says you just move on and deal with it. My dad has been physically abusive a few times as mentioned before. One time he pushed my mother over while she was on crutches after surgery and another he dragged my mother across the room by her ears. He has held me down numerous times screaming in my face and has been physical with my brother a few times. Every time he had been drinking. Now at the age of 26 I have a good job and live by myself with my dog away from the chaos, but the chaos still chases me. My dad calls me on weekends drunk a lot. My mother turns up on my doorstep and I don’t even have to ask her why she is here because I know the reason is my father has had too much to drink and has started on her again. There will be more posts to come. Just wondering if anyone has had similar situations? Thanks
Hey,

I grew up with an alcoholic father as well (I'm 30 in June) and although I don't talk to my dad now (for unrelated reasons) I lived with him for 26 years and he was an alcoholic since I have been a child.

I myself have a history and current pattern of drinking too much and had a few OD and treatments (both inpatient and outpatient)

My dad has never been violent (that I recall), but he has also been a verbally abusive drunk. The police were at my house very often growing up.

My dad lost his license and he's had 3 DUIs (driving while drunk)

From the perspective of being a drinker I can say that nothing will help unless your dad is ready to accept he has a problem and quit. Otherwise he wont. All I can say is give your support and be patient.

Addiction is a hell of a beast
Old 01-12-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

How are things going Amber?