Addiction info for the 8-10 yo’s

Old 12-18-2017, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction info for the 8-10 yo’s

Hi! My daughter lost her dad to an OD back in October. She’s had a lot of questions. I’ve explained that her dad had mental health issues. That he also had addiction issues before she or I came along. But I’m not sure how to explain *addiction* to her. She told me she thought that if she’s had us sit and talk when he was sleepy all the time, that this wouldn’t have happened. Look, in hindsight, yes, there were signs. And I feel like an idiot for not being more aware of his situation. But we had, literally 2 days before this happened, talked about how crazy it is that ppl still use heroin, because of all the bad stuff going around. HE SAID THAT TO ME!!! Ugh, I digress. My sweet DD is heartbroken. She’s in a grief group. But I think some addiction info would help.
Thanks I’m advance.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Find a child therapist that she can go to. They will know how to explain addiction to her. I’m sorry you both had to go through this.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I struggled with finding resources around this age too. The best I found ~and this will sound strange~ is the TV show Intervention.

I didn't just sit & watch it with DD... I previewed a ton of episodes & selected the ones I felt were most relatable & that showed the dangers of both addiction AND codependency.

I found it easier for her to learn using this medium - we could pause, talk, whatever. We also watched things like My 600 # Life - which, in my opinion, shows people struggling with food addiction much the same way Intervention addresses alcohol & drugs. I didn't want to isolate addiction as only substance-based.... I wanted her to understand that people numb for all kinds of reasons in life & it manifests differently in all of us - gambling, work addiction, emotional food dependency, etc.

Some people numb a little in every category & never develop a problem big enough to "label", but that doesn't mean that they don't suffer or are living a life free of dysfunction, you know? Hope this helps!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
I struggled with finding resources around this age too. The best I found ~and this will sound strange~ is the TV show Intervention.

I didn't just sit & watch it with DD... I previewed a ton of episodes & selected the ones I felt were most relatable & that showed the dangers of both addiction AND codependency.

I found it easier for her to learn using this medium - we could pause, talk, whatever. We also watched things like My 600 # Life - which, in my opinion, shows people struggling with food addiction much the same way Intervention addresses alcohol & drugs. I didn't want to isolate addiction as only substance-based.... I wanted her to understand that people numb for all kinds of reasons in life & it manifests differently in all of us - gambling, work addiction, emotional food dependency, etc.

Some people numb a little in every category & never develop a problem big enough to "label", but that doesn't mean that they don't suffer or are living a life free of dysfunction, you know? Hope this helps!
Thank you!
Old 12-22-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Betty Ford has a great program for kids. Unfortunately I think they’re only in TX, CO and CA but I think you can access some stuff online. They have a series of books about Beamer who is a boy whose parents are both addicted to alcohol. His mom goes to recovery and does well, the dad relapses. It is an easy read with pictures and it also talks about feelings through colors (Beamer is a lightbulb) like red is anger etc. I think if you don’t have access to a program this would be a great resource. Are there any rehab centers you need can contact for resources Ophir kids ? That’s where I found about it for my kiddo. The program is for 7-12 y/o and my kiddo went just before she turned 7. It was really good. Mostly focused on alcohol but in the end it is all the same. I get if you contact Betty Ford they will be able to help you with resources and probably be able to order the books. I think the videos are accessible online. Just google Betty Ford children’s program.