Hopeful , yet hurting.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

In the 6 short months you’ve known him, what does his recovery program look like to you? How has he described it? What does it consist of? What value does he give to it?

What did he disclose to you about any of his previous relationships?

I would hate to see you retire to a toxic dysfunctional relationship where you believe you can change him or somehow your presents in his life could make a big difference or make him more committed to you then this.
Old 12-11-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AIMH View Post
Just 6 months.
You’ve known him for six months but this “I love you too much to be apart from you so I’m breaking up with you” happened two months ago?

So four months of over the top romance and then silence?
Old 12-11-2017, 08:58 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

When I first met him he explained that his recovery would come first and he seemed like he was going to his meetings and applying himself. He seemed to be very involved in his meetings. Did not speak too much about his sponsor. Seemed like he was trying to do things on his own. Do not believe he had any sponsorees. In the six months we were together he only attended two meetings when we spent time together. I know he attended meetings on his off days from work. I believe he needed to really work more at the steps and be more commited to the program. Felt like he knew what he was doing, but not really, arrogance was a big part of him at times in regards to the program. He seemed insecure and ow self esteem. I could see him confidant and insecure.

He told me of a relationship that lasted 3 years and that she had daddy issues and it was not going to work out.

Another relationship he described the woman as being a hot mess, with alcohol and drugs and he left.

His marriage was about 16 years before it ended.

I know that i can not change him. I do know that he was hurting when he broke up with me. We both cried on the phone. He said it was the hardest emotional thing he had done. I do believe that he is hurting and he does miss me . I dont know if he knew any other way to deal with how he was feeling. He does need to grow more to be able to be okay with me or with out me.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

6 months of over the top romance. Broke up two months ago for a total of 8 months. He did reach out to wish one of my kids good luck on a driving test about one week after the break up. He also reached out to me on my birthday to wish me a happy birthday.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I think I understand what you are feeling. I am in a somewhat similar situation. It's been heartbreaking reading all of the posts that seem to doom any relationship that involves someone with past or current addiction issues. I believe that your bf was not trying to manipulate you, but that the intensity probably scared him (as others have said, the separation anxiety and neediness go hand in had with the types of mental illness that are linked to addiction) and made him realize he wasn't as healthy as he thought, and still has a longer road ahead of him before he can be in this kind of relationship. But, I also believe that everyone is different, and who knows what the future may bring? My parents made it through my father's alcoholism (which was already established when they met). They are going on 49 years of marriage - 56 years together. In the mean time I applaud you for continuing to not contact him and instead focus on yourself. That's a very hard thing to do when you feel the love of your life is just out of reach and if you could only lean in a little more...
I hope you find happiness whether with or without him.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When I first met him he explained that his recovery would come first
Sounds like he was very honest with you from the beginning. Recovery is life long and he knows himself better then any one.

Like the saying goes……………if it looks/sounds too good to be true it usually is.
Maybe you got the best of him in that short 6 months before his commitment issues surfaced.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BBKazz View Post
I think I understand what you are feeling. I am in a somewhat similar situation. It's been heartbreaking reading all of the posts that seem to doom any relationship that involves someone with past or current addiction issues. I believe that your bf was not trying to manipulate you, but that the intensity probably scared him (as others have said, the separation anxiety and neediness go hand in had with the types of mental illness that are linked to addiction) and made him realize he wasn't as healthy as he thought, and still has a longer road ahead of him before he can be in this kind of relationship. But, I also believe that everyone is different, and who knows what the future may bring? My parents made it through my father's alcoholism (which was already established when they met). They are going on 49 years of marriage - 56 years together. In the mean time I applaud you for continuing to not contact him and instead focus on yourself. That's a very hard thing to do when you feel the love of your life is just out of reach and if you could only lean in a little more...
I hope you find happiness whether with or without him.
Thank you for your support, I do believe in him and will give him time to work on him. I know the love we share is real, and do not feel it was in any way manipulation. Will support him in any way I can.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I've been on all sides of this, and speaking from my experience as a drinker,
Yes, you are fragile and easily upset / angered but hey, that's life at times.

As the person dealing with the drunk, or sobered up drunk, my observation is that they are often simply not mature.
Drink is how they have / do cope with the discomfort of life situations,
and acting like a spoiled child has always worked in the past to get the pressure
off and make things easier for them.

That said, allowing such behavior is a delicate balance.
You want to be aware and sensitive in early recovery,
but on the other hand, it is a kind of enabling to allow
people to treat you in a way that is insensitive and unkind.

It doesn't do them any favors in the long term, it hurts you
both immediately and in the long term,
and it undermines--not heals--the relationship dynamic.

This is why you so often hear us suggest that you stay separate in early sobriety
or at least work on your recovery alone *the "stay in your own hula hoop" advice--

Is it "real" trauma the drinker feels? In many cases yes, but that doesn't excuse
it, and it certainly doesn't mean you should be a doormat and take it.
Does it mean they will "leave" you?
Sometimes. Lots of people want things to stay the same
and they want to be able to behave in a selfish way.
After all, they quit drinking because you demanded it, right?

If you don't treat yourself with the same loving kindness you are willing
to extend to your alcoholic, you do everyone involved a disservice, most especially
yourself.

Better alone and healthy than a whipping post for somebody else's addictive interpersonal dysfunction. . .
Old 12-15-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This helped me a lot as well, Hawkeye. Thank you.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:10 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sylvie83 View Post
Thanks so much for sharing this. Found it really helpful today.
Thank you Hawkeye
Old 10-21-2018, 10:39 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Frustrated

It’s been awhile since I was here. The ex boyfriend reached out to me in Jan 2018. He explained a lot to me after an unexplained break up in sept 2017. So broke up for 3 months. He admitted that he was sober from alcohol since 2010, but did not share that he had just stopped taking/abusing prescription drugs until the month we found each other on a dating site 04-18. He said that when we started communicating he decided he wanted to stay sober, so he went cold turkey. The relationship those first few months were a bit rocky, but makes so much more sense now why things were hard.

So he worked on himself in AA and his sponsor said he thought he was ready for a relationship in Jan 2018. He reached out to me and explained what had happened. So of course I gave it another try. I Love this man with all my heart. Over the course of the last 9 months there has been a lot of jealousy in regards to my family and a lot of blaming and finger pointing at me for the way he is feeling. He says he gives love that I don’t give in return. I have seen a few anger issues and rants when things do go his way. We were looking at houses and spoke of being life partners.

Fast forward again, my mom fell and broke her nose and I over reacted because he did not come down on his days off to see me. He got unhappy because I did not text home back when he was asking to come down. He texted in a hurtful way so I did not respond to him for 3 days.

So because of a lack of communication over this and other incidents and his verbal attack’s I told him I could not allow this behavior and would it accept his outburst at me.

After a few days of no contact I called him and he broke up with me. We have been emailing back and forth and he wanted the break up, not me. His email is about sharing what he has done the last few days. Even sent pictures. Says he misses not being able to share with me since we weren’t talking. He said it is hard to not share with me , the person he held/holds dear to him. He even held off seeing a movie that we wanted to see together.

I am so confused how he wants to share things with me then pulls away and blames me for what has happened. He also removed most of my pics from Facebook but hasn’t changed his relationship status.

I am thinking he jumped into this relationship way too soon and needs to focus on his recovery .
Old 10-21-2018, 11:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I think you are right. He is obviously not in a mindset to be in any relationship and in fact this relationship doesn't sound like fun for either of you?

You mention you were upset that he didn't come down on his days off but then wanted to come down to see you and you didn't reply. Then the texts became hurtful so you cut him off for 3 days? So did he continue to try to contact you and you ignored him?

To be honest, this all sounds not very functional.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

His sponsor said he was ready for a relationship in January 2018 but didn't stop using until April 2018. Sounds like he isn't an honest person. It has been told a person needs at least a year of sobriety and seriously working a program to handle a relationship. It sounds like he's not there yet.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AIMH View Post
It’s been awhile since I was here. The ex boyfriend reached out to me in Jan 2018. He explained a lot to me after an unexplained break up in sept 2017. So broke up for 3 months. He admitted that he was sober from alcohol since 2010, but did not share that he had just stopped taking/abusing prescription drugs until the month we found each other on a dating site 04-18. He said that when we started communicating he decided he wanted to stay sober, so he went cold turkey. The relationship those first few months were a bit rocky, but makes so much more sense now why things were hard.

So he worked on himself in AA and his sponsor said he thought he was ready for a relationship in Jan 2018. He reached out to me and explained what had happened. So of course I gave it another try. I Love this man with all my heart. Over the course of the last 9 months there has been a lot of jealousy in regards to my family and a lot of blaming and finger pointing at me for the way he is feeling. He says he gives love that I don’t give in return. I have seen a few anger issues and rants when things do go his way. We were looking at houses and spoke of being life partners.

Fast forward again, my mom fell and broke her nose and I over reacted because he did not come down on his days off to see me. He got unhappy because I did not text home back when he was asking to come down. He texted in a hurtful way so I did not respond to him for 3 days.

So because of a lack of communication over this and other incidents and his verbal attack’s I told him I could not allow this behavior and would it accept his outburst at me.

After a few days of no contact I called him and he broke up with me. We have been emailing back and forth and he wanted the break up, not me. His email is about sharing what he has done the last few days. Even sent pictures. Says he misses not being able to share with me since we weren’t talking. He said it is hard to not share with me , the person he held/holds dear to him. He even held off seeing a movie that we wanted to see together.

I am so confused how he wants to share things with me then pulls away and blames me for what has happened. He also removed most of my pics from Facebook but hasn’t changed his relationship status.

I am thinking he jumped into this relationship way too soon and needs to focus on his recovery .
Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I think you are right. He is obviously not in a mindset to be in any relationship and in fact this relationship doesn't sound like fun for either of you?

You mention you were upset that he didn't come down on his days off but then wanted to come down to see you and you didn't reply. Then the texts became hurtful so you cut him off for 3 days? So did he continue to try to contact you and you ignored him?

To be honest, this all sounds not very functional.
Hi, Trailmix, no he did not try to contact me. I reached out to him. We both agreed we could have worked harder and I offered to even go to a counselor/therapist since we both were not able to figure things out on our own.

Love him, and agree we both did not act very mature. Communication needed to be worked on, on my part.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm sorry. He still does not sound like someone ready for a real partnership. It's rare that two individuals are able to work out their own issues within the context of a relationship. If you were not able to work things out on your own, the pressure of a relationship is not particularly conducive to anything but become more enmeshed and codependent together.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:15 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
His sponsor said he was ready for a relationship in January 2018 but didn't stop using until April 2018. Sounds like he isn't an honest person. It has been told a person needs at least a year of sobriety and seriously working a program to handle a relationship. It sounds like he's not there yet.
Hi, he stopped using in 04/17, pulled away from the relationship in 08/ 2017. Things were overwhelming for him. He was having a hard time with financial responsibility, his kids and the relationship, and was not sure why things were getting out of control. This is when he was trying to cut off the medications/ withdrawals on his own. He disconnected for three months. He moved into his brothers place, gave full custody of his kids to his ex wife. He worked on him and then the sponsor thought he was ready for the relationship. So we dated for 9 months.

Just love the guy, I do want to support him any way I can.

He emailed saying he misses me and not being able to share things with me , the person he held/holds dearest to him.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
I'm sorry. He still does not sound like someone ready for a real partnership. It's rare that two individuals are able to work out their own issues within the context of a relationship. If you were not able to work things out on your own, the pressure of a relationship is not particularly conducive to anything but become more enmeshed and codependent together.
i am working on my issues with a therapist, and agree that it became a codependent relationship. Hoping maybe in time it could work out. Learning as much as I can to not be codependent.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Just love the guy, I do want to support him any way I can.
And would that include totally letting him go, going no contact, so that he can work on himself and his issues?

He emailed saying he misses me and not being able to share things with me , the person he held/holds dearest to him.
And did he ask to get back together, did he commit to working on the relationship? Or was it more just a feeling he shared via email?
Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

aaah..….the sweetest nectar to a lover's ears is this---"You are special to me and you give me what no other can"...….it is more powerful than any drug.....
Old 10-22-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I am also a new poster after having read a lot of threads for awhile. My xab recently left me out of the blue. Coming here is helping me open my eyes and recover.

I had the same experience with him when we were apart - even just for a workday! (We lived together for about six months in his house). I think the most extreme was that we had barely started dating when he left for a trip to Russia that he had planned even before we met. After only a couple of days into his two week trip, he flew home just to be back with me. I was terrified of failing his high expectations and told him so, but he assured me it's what he needed.

A commenter on one of my posts pointed out that As sometimes have relationships to fill a hole they believe they have. Although we had discussed many times that we were looking for a strong complementary partnership, I often got the sense from him that he was expecting me to "complete" him. I stressed to him often that I have my own struggles (particularly toward the end when the depression and anxiety stemming from his issue and my refusing to back away from it kicked in) and that he would have to love who I am. Perhaps one of the most hurtful things in our split (besides it coming completely out of the blue) was that he offered as a reason he needed to find someone to marry. It couldn't have been more baldly stated that he needed a new better version replacement. Even the way he helped me pack my things up in his obsessively organized and spare place felt like an excision where he would simply plug in something new.

And I have to learn that that is on HIM. That I was a fantastic girlfriend, probably one of the best things that happened to him and he threw it away. And importantly, I need to feel grateful for being cast off.

I got off topic as to your original question and I don't want to make it out like your situation will end like mine did. But that type of clinginess and desperate missing was one thing I definitely experienced throughout and I would be a liar if I said it ever actually made me happy.