SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Acknowledging the Negative (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/419878-acknowledging-negative.html)

Mango blast 12-05-2017 11:01 PM

Acknowledging the Negative

ACKNOWLEDGING THE NEGATIVE

By Jen Hetzel Silbert

In my organization development and strategy work I remind people that, “we see more of what we look for.” This principle is fundamental to Appreciative Inquiry (AI), which asks questions about moments of success and triumph, then builds on the strengths of stories to explore bold—yet possible—stretch goals for the future.

One of the questions I am often asked is…what about the negative? How can we move forward when there is deep-seated pain and resentment that makes conversations about the positive and what’s possible impossible to initiate or comprehend?

Storms brew in many forms, and the pain they bring is real. Be the ill feelings from a company acquisition, an unwelcomed re-org, leadership change, or lost job, or from a fall-out with a friend, a lost loved one, broken home, community, or nation – hurt is hurt is hurt. So where does Appreciative Inquiry (AI) – strength-based, positive change – fit when it comes to moving beyond hurt and despair?

1. Healing is more than the mere absence of pain. Likewise, peace is more than the absence of violence; it’s about flourishing societies.

To heal from difficult experiences (regardless of context, culture, or scale), we need to do more than get rid of the unwanted or the negative.

Victor Frankl, an Austrian psychiatrist, wrote that optimism in the face of tragedy can turn suffering into a human achievement. He called this “tragic optimism” and related it to his own experiences as a Holocaust survivor. As a prisoner every freedom is taken away but “the last of human freedoms”—the ability to “choose one’s attitude in a given set of circumstances.”2 No matter the circumstances, no matter how tragic or horrific the experience, we all have a choice in attitude that makes possible positive growth. And far more than the absence of pain, the path of healing is one we must choose for positive growth to begin.

2. The process is as important as the outcome. The “truth” is not something you “get” to but something you "talk" to. Storytelling itself is a process, and it is society’s oldest, most universal means of creating and sharing knowledge. Its power comes not only from the “data” it reveals but also from its generative process of engaging, moving, and inspiring connection – connection to new perspectives and learning, as well as connection among people.

Today I'm grateful for this article, for acknowledging the negative, for hope.

KTF

Mango blast 12-05-2017 11:35 PM

Healing from trauma, complex ptsd -

https://www.google.com/amp/s/counsel...plex-ptsd/amp/

OpheliaKatz 12-06-2017 03:02 AM

KTFaith, thanks so much for posting all the things you keep posting. I'm finding them useful.

hopeful4 12-06-2017 06:49 AM

I also find them useful, thank you!

ScaryTime 12-06-2017 07:18 AM

Thank you for posting this. Is helpful to me.

Mango blast 12-06-2017 02:50 PM

Posting these are a big part of my therapy in healing from trauma... I keep coming back to them, sometimes months later, as I need them.

So nice that they're helping others, too!!

We're in this together... healing... stepping forward...

Journey Onward! :ham3

Mango blast 12-20-2017 12:22 PM

"Healing is more than the mere absence of pain. Likewise, peace is more than the absence of violence; it’s about flourishing societies."

Learning how to use my voice, how to listen... to others... to life... nature... my Inner Voice that's getting stronger and healthier. Learning how to enjoy life and let it be filled with new kinds of "things"... experiences that nourish the heart, mind and soul.

Mango blast 02-14-2018 09:37 AM

This is really striking me again today.

" Victor Frankl, an Austrian psychiatrist, wrote that optimism in the face of tragedy can turn suffering into a human achievement. He called this “tragic optimism” and related it to his own experiences as a Holocaust survivor. As a prisoner every freedom is taken away but “the last of human freedoms”—the ability to “choose one’s attitude in a given set of circumstances.”

No matter the circumstances, no matter how tragic or horrific the experience, we all have a choice in attitude that makes possible positive growth. And far more than the absence of pain, the path of healing is one we must choose for positive growth to begin.
"

aliciagr 02-14-2018 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mango blast (Post 6698067)

Healing is more than the mere absence of pain. Likewise, peace is more than the absence of violence; it’s about flourishing societies.

No matter the circumstances, no matter how tragic or horrific the experience, we all have a choice in attitude that makes possible positive growth. And far more than the absence of pain, the path of healing is one we must choose for positive growth to begin.

Love this ^^^