Really complicated...

Old 12-06-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Getting disentangled from this situation will no doubt benefit your own family
who have, I expect, been paying a large price to keep the silence and appearances going for your parent's sake.

It sounds like your parents have hard work and communication to do to fix their situation--
another way to "frame" this is that you are respecting them both
as adult enough to step back and to deal with the self-created situation,
and not abandoning them in any way.

Meanwhile, what else can you do for you and your family to heal from this?
Do you have another church in mind, and / or additional family therapy to process what
has been and will be a tough road.
Yes I have tried to tell my mom exactly that (that I am not abandoning them but trying to give them space to work things out how they see fit) but because of her intense shame she is already struggling through, she still keeps asking me "why are you cutting me off? do you hate me?" multiple times a day. It's so sad.

We don't have another church yet as this church was a church we started with my dad from the very beginning and haven't ever thought about other churches. Obviously, we were blind and naive, too. However, I am seeing a therapist and my husband will hopefully come with me as well when we can find a sitter during the day (my mom was our main sitter), although it is extremely expensive as we only have high deductible insurance. So we shall see. But I am definitely seeking support, especially after seeing what a wreck I've been this past week. It has been much harder than I even thought.

Thank you very much for the kind words and encouragement.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
IKneedaBreak

The three Cs' might simplify. You didn't Cause it, You cant Control and and you can't Cure it. She is the addict, don't you be the enabler.

I know, easy to say, and no matter how many times I repeat this to my self it only helps a little on some days.