My Alcoholic Sister

Old 11-26-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Alcoholic Sister

Hi All,

My first thread, way back in 2015 was titled
"My (I think) Alcoholic Sister". (Well now I know - for sure....)

(I received some great life and sanity saving advice in that first thread.)

Which, thanks to strength from my God, (my HP), I followed. :-) Oh, I am so grateful to SR!!!

Fast forward to this Thanksgiving holiday; and as they say in the program, "More shall be revealed ". And it was, sadly.

My AS was staying with some family members who recently moved to our state, and she went on a crazy, angry, alcoholic acting-out binge/episode.

They had never seen her like this, and one of them called me in a state of panic and anger and confusion. (This person has married into our family and has no experience/knowledge of alcoholism. ) I was able to calm this relative down, and shared that I am going to Alanon because her drinking has affected me so greatly.

I am so very, very sad to know, for sure, that her disease is still active and getting worse.

And sad and very angry that find out that she has been treating this other part of our family so horribly. They have been bending over backwards, doing kind, loving things for her! (Seems this latest incident with them was the worst, but there have been some previous red flags.)

Our father died from circumstances directly related to this disease, I married and divorced an alcoholic, my oldest son is an active marijuana addict - yikes - seems I would be immune to pain from this horrible disease!!!

But it still hurts. Now, however, it is not nearly as painful, and doesn't last for very long...

I know my situation (now) is nothing compared to what others here in this forum are going through. (Especially those with young children - although I was in that situation many years ago, so I truly understand.)

Still, this is a tough reality. Knowing and watching ANOTHER family member falling down that dark hole. My sister, whom I was once so close to, and love so much.

I am attending Alanon, working the steps, and talk briefly to an Alanon friend. (Not too long ago, I asked if she would be my sponsor, but she reluctantly declined, due to her own health and time constraints.)

And thankfully, I have SR's F&F!!!!

My own powerlessness has been revealed (again).

And I am so grateful for SR and Alanon.

This disease sucks for those who have it AND for those around them!!

Thanks for reading/listening.

Hugs to all.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it is truly, and tragically, a FAMILY disease.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
it is truly, and tragically, a FAMILY disease.

Yes, Anvil, it truly is tragic.

On the other hand,
I am so very grateful for SR and its members!!
((((Hugs))))

Although, I attend a weekly Alanon meeting, I am VERY careful about what I say at the meetings. (This is due to confidentiality and anonymity issues - that I unfortunately have seen -breached- within the neighborhood I live in.) (This I became aware of in 2015. Not sure of anything recent, but I feel safer to talk/post more personal feelings, details here at SR.)

That's why Good Ol' Anonymous SR Rocks!!