Sadness, muscle/joint pain - Vitamin D

Old 11-24-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sadness, muscle/joint pain - Vitamin D

Getting my Vitamin D levels checked next Tuesday. I'm looking forward to finding my current numbers. I took mega-doses twice in the past month and they help greatly, but I've been holding off on taking more until after my blood test.

Past years my naturopathic doctor has had me take a mega-dose of 50,000 iu once a week along with 5000 iu per day.

https://overcomingms.org/forum/viewt...=2003&start=10

It's amazing the difference it plays in physical and mental healing for me. .... and somehow I forget to make it a priority.

So VERY grateful for the huge decrease in stress this year, thanks to Recovery.

Biggest difference is I used to try diagnosing and healing myself and my husband. Letting all that go... now I'm a vocal, active partner in my healthcare with a doctor who understands the trauma of alcoholism/addiction for the whole household and has been both patient and optimistic with the timeframe it's taking for me to heal.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

also Magnesium helps quite a lot, especially with good rest and relaxation. Also Vitamin C for stamina and energy.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing!

I LOVE hot springs for the magnesium and more minerals. Vit. C sources... I'm liking pumpkin and kale more than citrus lately. A daily larger supplement of it could be a great idea...
Old 11-24-2017, 04:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm a low vitamin D gal myself. 50,000 IU once a month plus 1,000 a day. Before being diagnosed, I would wake up and take Advil, I was in that much muscle and joint pain...and completely exhausted. 'Course, I have sleep apnea and iron deficient anemia, too
Old 11-24-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Heck, I’ll look into how much I’m getting with my multivitamins 😀
Old 11-24-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Surprisingly, Vitamin D deficiency is a big thing in Australia too, where we have sunshine all year round, but the sun protection message has been too successful in that regard. I will do anything to protect myself from direct sunlight and have low Vitamin D levels as a result. I take one small capsule a day as a supplement.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It used to drive me nuts when I worked as a medical transcriptionist, typing report after report where people w/vitamin D levels at the very bottom of the "normal" scale were told they were fine, b/c after all, they were within the numbers defining the normal limits. Maybe so, but is that the same as "optimum"? I didn't think so...

I'd urge anyone here who is looking into vitamin D supplementation to read up on D2 vs D3, the role of magnesium in vitamin D absorption, and the role of vitamin K2 in vitamin D utilization. Taking 1 supplement on its own will likely not have the good results we're looking for unless all the other components that affect its absorption and function in the body are also present in adequate amounts.

Google can get you to a lot of sites that will discuss these topics so you can make your own decisions.

Also wanted to mention that there are online lab services where you can order your own lab tests w/o going through a doctor. Here is a link to the one I've used for many years now: Health One Labs | Discount Online Blood Tests & Online Lab Tests I have always paid for my tests out of pocket, and I can tell you that the cost when paid for on my own is FAR less than what my insurance was being charged back in the days when I had good enough insurance to bother running something like this through it.

You pick the test(s) or package that you want online, select the facility near you that you want to do the blood draw or other collection procedure, and pay online. Then you go to the clinic and have the collection procedure. Usually within a few days (each test will say about how long it takes), you will receive the results.

This is another thing I liked--I am the one who gets the results. I get to look at the details, and I can then print it out or email it to my doctor. I don't have to settle for a phone call saying "your labs were all OK." As I said, I've typed way too many reports where any result that is not actually outside the "normal" parameters is treated as fine. By this logic, someone whose fasting blood sugar is 99 is told "your labs are fine" while someone whose fbs is 100 is told they are entering diabetes-land. Really? That person who is at 99 shouldn't be told that they are dangerously high and approaching the diabetic level? Craziness, IMHO...

OK, off the soapbox, but in case you all can't tell, I'm a HUGE proponent of being intensely involved in your own health care. If there are any questions about my experiences w/the online lab service, I'm glad to answer them.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Also adding in a biotin supplement and 5-HTP. These have been very beneficial for me and I haven't had them in a long time. I started taking a vitamin C supplement yesterday.

Biotin Review | Health Benefits of Biotin
Old 01-22-2018, 09:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My best winter, so far, in many years! Dealing better with stress, including recognizing it and it's many forms. My depression isn't hitting as often or as hard.

Thankful for moving ahead, for hot springs, for supplements, for healing.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nearly everyone has a Vitamin D deficiency. My doctor put me on prescription Vitamin D but it didn't help my depression. Getting out, walking in the sunshine was the biggest help.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Has anyone heard of glutathione? Apparently this is a natural antioxidant in our bodies. With age, stress and anxiety it declines. I just started taking supplements to increase it in my body, will let you know how it goes.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glutathione supplements and ways to increase the body's own glutathione production...also helps from detoxing too fast -- which first caused some issues for me.

Digestive enzymes. Bulletproof coffee made with MCT oil instead of XCT oil. Many things help me... now I don't need as much and use them much less often.

Pray... and follow. Trust your gut instincts.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing all of this, it sounds like I need to be checking into all of this!
Old 02-13-2018, 12:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm another in the low Vit D club. I was taking 3-4 hours naps in the afternoon and this seemed weird. I went to my provider and she suggested a blood test that showed the discrepancy. I now take 1200 mg a day and haven't had to nap like that since.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I love this thread!

The day I broke up with ABF I also started Whole 30 plan. January 1. I love the book IT STARTS WITH FOOD and now I’m hooked on nutritious foods! I cut a lot of icky things out of my diet and now eat healthy organic food and take supplements. My body feels so good!

I had a very sore neck and tried 4 chiropractors. Healthy food? Neck pain gone!! I am sleeping better and no more zits. I lost ten lbs. Even my overtweezed eyebrow hairs are growing back! Bonus!!

It’s funny how detoxing from bad food is like detoxing from ABF, and eating healthy food is like surrounding myself with supportive people and activities.

I’m glad I was brave enough to make the changes to get rid of two pains in the neck!