I lost my job yesterday

Old 11-15-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I lost my job yesterday

So, my firm let me go yesterday. No need to go into details except to say that I, and most of my support in my region, think the company made a mistake in letting me go. But, a business decision was made and I now have to find work elsewhere.

I'm waffling between being depressed, being grateful because I was struggling with the prospecting and sales side anyway, and then being angry that they let me go because I had good leads and meetings coming up with prospects and I had some transfers coming in (albeit smaller accounts). But, it wasn't enough for them.

I 've learned a lot this past year and I now have my series 7, series 66, and my insurance licenses as well. All those things make me way more marketable than I was a year ago, so that's me looking on the bright side as best as I can.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to read this, Liz. I know how much you put into it.

But, you're right, you are licensed now, and that's a huge plus.

((((HUGS))))

COD
Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also remember your licensing struggles well, liz, and I'm so glad you kept at it and have that on your side now!

All I can say is that it's this company's loss. Maybe you were not meant to stay there--you know how we often say here at SR that just b/c a situation exists for now doesn't mean it will or SHOULD last forever. Maybe that job existed only to see that you got your licensing, and you are supposed to move on now, exactly as you're doing.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

May the next chapter of your life blow your socks off with wonderful events!
Old 11-15-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Lizatola I know the feeling! You are in my thoughts and prayers! My employer is also doing RIF's tomorrow...I don't have a great feeling about it. I am sure I will have a sleepless night tonight. I have known about this RIF for at least 3 weeks and the stress of it has really taken a toll on me. I just haven't felt well. I ended up with a common cold (stress induced) I'm sure. I have a ton of stress also with breaking up with my alcoholic girlfriend (ex-fiance) of 5 years, who I have had no real contact with for over a month. Just a couple of text messages that turned ugly on her part.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Liz.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear this, and hope that all your skills and credentials will enable you to find something better as soon as possible.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit my job with a huge leap of faith and push from my Higher Power. It wasn't until after some distance that I realized how much I need to move forward and I was much too comfortable with where I was.

Good luck with finding a new job you enjoy! Embrace all the emotions as normal processing of a very crappy event.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-not-back.html (No Contact and looking foward, not back)
Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

being grateful because I was struggling with the prospecting and sales side anyway
Ugh I can definitely relate to this. I was asked recently if I would consider throwing my hat into the ring in regards to a promotion, but because 40% of it included sales I told them I would prefer to remain at my current position. Now my reputation lands the contract (when I first started - nobody thought of offering my skills as contractor, including me), but it took several years to get to that place - it sure as hell wasn't my sales skills!

There's nothing wrong with finding a job that plays to your strengths. I've been in jobs where there has been a definite mismatch, and instead of kicking myself for not being good at X, Y or Z, I find that I'm much better off recognizing what I don't want in my next position.

All those licenses! You are definitely in a better place now.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
I quit my job with a huge leap of faith and push from my Higher Power. It wasn't until after some distance that I realized how much I need to move forward and I was much too comfortable with where I was.

Good luck with finding a new job you enjoy! Embrace all the emotions as normal processing of a very crappy event.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-not-back.html (No Contact and looking foward, not back)
Aww, I read those in your link and they brought tears to my eyes.

My bf , whom I work with, had tears in his own eyes this AM after I packed up my desk. He literally told me he was going to cry. It's the first time I've seen him emotional about anything other than his children. I think he's taking this as badly as I am!
And, what's funny is that I was thinking of leaving my bf back in September but, for some reason, I kept feeling that i should stick it out and face him and battle some of my fears, including my fear of his personality. Turns out, I am teaching him new ways to treat me and we've had a lot of clashes, but things are actually better now that I'm learning more and more to speak my peace. But, now that I'm unemployed, I'm actually grateful I decided to stay. If I had left and was completely on my own, I know it would have cost me more to move out and buy new(used) furniture, etc.

Anyway, I'm up and down emotionally. I've never lost a job due to underperformance ever and it's hitting me really hard.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KeviKev View Post
Lizatola I know the feeling! You are in my thoughts and prayers! My employer is also doing RIF's tomorrow...I don't have a great feeling about it. I am sure I will have a sleepless night tonight. I have known about this RIF for at least 3 weeks and the stress of it has really taken a toll on me. I just haven't felt well. I ended up with a common cold (stress induced) I'm sure. I have a ton of stress also with breaking up with my alcoholic girlfriend (ex-fiance) of 5 years, who I have had no real contact with for over a month. Just a couple of text messages that turned ugly on her part.
Best of luck to you. Sending you lots of support. One day at a time!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Liz....I wonder if sales is really your thing? I know lots of brilliant people who just aren't in love with sales....And, for those people...there is no si n or criticism in that. It is just that it isn't their particular strong suit. Nothing more than that.
And, I know some successful sales people who really can't do much of anything else....
Apparently...at least from what I have seen...sales super stars are born...not made. Ya either got it or not....at baseline....

I predict that you will use your current education and skills in another area that you really shine in....and, you will look back and be glad for this temporary bump in the road....

This happens to the best of us....
Old 11-16-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Liz....I wonder if sales is really your thing? I know lots of brilliant people who just aren't in love with sales....And, for those people...there is no si n or criticism in that. It is just that it isn't their particular strong suit. Nothing more than that.
And, I know some successful sales people who really can't do much of anything else....
Apparently...at least from what I have seen...sales super stars are born...not made. Ya either got it or not....at baseline....

I predict that you will use your current education and skills in another area that you really shine in....and, you will look back and be glad for this temporary bump in the road....

This happens to the best of us....
Yes, it does, and I'm trying hard not to wallow in it. What bugs me the most about this job is that I LOVE helping people feel better about their finances and teaching them about their options, teaching them about other ways to save and to beat inflation, etc. But, I hate the sales side of things. The job required me to not only be trained in finance, economics, and investing, but also in being able to sell myself and the company and to be able to close business. It is a very difficult job and I'm not upset at myself because I know I tried and I know I put myself out there and that I did things that were way out of my own comfort zone.

I'm meeting with a friend from a bank today. She used to work with me at the other firm I left and she has been very happy at this bank. She told me her boss may have a high level admin job that requires my licensing and she said they need a rep at one of their branches as a financial advisor. The good thing about banks is that you don't have to generate much of your own leads like I did before. They bring you the leads and there is a higher base salary, as well.

I'm finishing my resume today. Taking myself on a much needed hike in a few minutes. Applying for unemployment. My bf said he will add me to his insurance since the company has me listed as his domestic partner so I won't have to worry about insurance either.

And, of course, I'll be researching jobs in my area for the next few days, as well. I also have a phone meeting with a recruiter next Tuesday. I don't waste time and I'm not planning on being lazy about this. I still have some money in savings thank goodness. My car is paid off and I only have a few thousand dollars on credit cards. I'll be OK as long as I find something in the next 2-3 months.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Liz, sorry to hear this, it hurts. But I expect it will turn out to be an opportunity for you to get something better, something you like more, with better pay, etc. My mom always said change is good! You have more skills and credentials, you seem to have connections, I am confident you will do great. The bank angle sounds very promising . Best of luck to you.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am sorry Liz! I know this means you will move forward to bigger and better things. I have all the faith in you friend!
Old 11-23-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I am sorry Liz! I know this means you will move forward to bigger and better things. I have all the faith in you friend!
Thank you, my friend. I'm trying to just enjoy the holiday weekend right now but I'm battling depressing thoughts and such. I know will find something, I just hope it's the 'something' that fits me and my strengths well.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

UPDATE!
So I got an offer last week for a job that starts Jan 2nd! The job is the exact job that I left 19 years ago; same company, same location, and same exact department. Since I have my licensing I only have to do 10 weeks of the training instead of 16. They were eager to get my started and the recruiter said that both hiring managers who interviewed me were ready to bring me on that day!

My background check is in process so once that gets completed, I should get a formal offer. I'm actually really excited to go back because this was the company where I started my career and I loved the people I worked with and the job was the kind where you could have stressful busy days, but you didn't take the job home with you.

In other news, I will be attending a service tomorrow for a friend who passed away earlier this week due to complications from alcoholism. His wife was a good friend of mine from program and he leaves behind 2 young children. It's been a heartbreaking week for many of us here because he was so young. They had a strong marriage and she adored him, despite the disease of alcoholism. He fought it on and off for years but he lost the fight on Sunday. His wife messaged me yesterday and I nearly broke down in tears for her....she is a much stronger woman than I am because she is truly handling all this with such grace.

And, on the homefront, we have one kid recovering from strep (the youngest) and my son is battling some sort of lung infection with a high fever. Doc said yesterday that the strep and flu test yesterday were negative but I'm taking him back for another flu test and for chest xrays today! Thankfully, he finished his finals early and didn't have to attend classes this week so I can take care of him at home. One of the many blessings of being unemployed right now!
Old 12-13-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on the new job! I'm certain you will be an awesome addition to the team.

So sorry to hear about your friend. ((((HUGS))))

COD
Old 12-13-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Liz, I am so happy about the job, that's great! They will be lucky to have you!

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Addiction is awful.

I hope your kids get to feeling better and you are able not to catch anything! Yikes!
Old 12-13-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Not surprised they snatched you up.
They know a good employee when they see one

Congrats and hope kids mend quickly.