Has a year sober and clean? ? ? Fairy tale over?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has a year sober and clean? ? ? Fairy tale over?

Hello guys, it has been awhile.
My ADAF had went to detox on November 9th 2016. After being brought by his brother after a bender. He then went to a very structured rehab and sober living home. Then came home and it was awesome for a while, a month (The day of) before he would have received his year sober, I found him urinating on a whole bunch of stuff in the middle of the night (A clear sign he is intoxicated). I was upset, but we reconciled and said he wants to be clean and sober. He has been drunk at least two more times since then, that I know of.
I had also found him going through my friends weekend bag looking for her prescriptions.... Both my mother and friend has told me, if I found him- something he would not have told me, then he is certainty doing more that I don't know of.
He has a odd job where he is not home for more then 4 or 5 days a month, and that is his excuse for not making it to meetings. I cant force him to go, I can give him rides because he doesn't have his licence but I cant make him go.
I guess, for the period- I thought- and think he had been sober and clean, I was in a fairy tale. It was awesome, it was so much fun and exciting, no more babysitting, no more crying, no more "worrying". I understand relapses happen, but I just didnt see them coming. But now I am... I dont know, I dont believe anything, I am so pessimistic. long post, I know. Sorry, was not supposed to be at first.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Zeppelin.
Welcome back.
Very sorry for your situation.
What would you like to do?
Old 11-14-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Zepplin, I am sorry you are going through this.

Relapse is not a part of recovery, it is part of the addiction.

I know how hard it is to watch someone you love waste their lives getting wasted. I know the anxiety it causes when we are waiting around for the next screw up and wondering how bad it will be. I literally drove myself crazy with worry.

To get myself healthy again I had to focus on me and what I needed in my life. My first step was realizing I was codependent and then taking steps to change my own behavior. Reading the book " Codependent No More", by Melody Beattie really helped, that and reading everything I could here on Sober Recovery Friends and Family. Learning about boundaries was also a pretty huge leap forward for me as well.

I hope you keep coming back, reading and posting.

*hugs*
Old 11-14-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sorry Zepplin. It's so hard to watch those you love choose a path that leads to so much pain.

Glad you are here, you are not alone.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry for the hurt, we really understand you. I definitely understand you . It crushed me when my AH relapsed once. It felt like a dagger in my heart when we renewed the vows and he relapsed again.

What would you like to do from here? What have you done to take care of yourself?