SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   1st Al-Anon meeting (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/417516-1st-al-anon-meeting.html)

feistybluebird 10-16-2017 08:07 PM

1st Al-Anon meeting

I went to a meeting tonight. I was skeptical at first, as I watched more mature women walking in. I thought, how are they going to relate to my situation? I decided to give it a chance. I am so very glad I did. I intend to go back and I think I'm going to find a great deal of wisdom in that room.

Bekindalways 10-16-2017 08:35 PM

Wow that is great if your first meeting went well. Many have to try several before getting a good fit.

Keep at it!

honeypig 10-16-2017 09:29 PM

Glad you went, even though skeptical.

Glad it went well! As BKA said, oftentimes we have to go to several meetings before finding a good fit. As you saw, though, living with an A is pretty much the same for all of us, regardless of age, gender, etc.

One thing that I found particularly helpful in understanding what Alanon is and how it works was to read Alanon literature. A couple books that are good for starters, IMO, are "How Alanon Works for Families and Friends of Alcoholics" and "Paths to Recovery." Amazon generally has tons of used Alanon books available for very reasonable prices.

I hope you keep going, maybe try some other meetings just so you have a backup in case you can't make your usual one.

Alanon may or may not be the whole or only answer for you. It hasn't been for me, but it is definitely an important part, and I don't think I'd be where I am now w/o it.

feistybluebird 10-17-2017 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by honeypig (Post 6639238)
Glad you went, even though skeptical.

Glad it went well! As BKA said, oftentimes we have to go to several meetings before finding a good fit. As you saw, though, living with an A is pretty much the same for all of us, regardless of age, gender, etc.

One thing that I found particularly helpful in understanding what Alanon is and how it works was to read Alanon literature. A couple books that are good for starters, IMO, are "How Alanon Works for Families and Friends of Alcoholics" and "Paths to Recovery." Amazon generally has tons of used Alanon books available for very reasonable prices.

I hope you keep going, maybe try some other meetings just so you have a backup in case you can't make your usual one.

Alanon may or may not be the whole or only answer for you. It hasn't been for me, but it is definitely an important part, and I don't think I'd be where I am now w/o it.

Thank you for the book recommendations. I think last night was helpful, too, because I have been so isolated. It was nice to go somewhere other than work for a change!

honeypig 10-17-2017 09:52 AM

fbb, I totally get it about how it's nice simply to get out and see people! Like you, I'd gotten really isolated, and it was just nice to be among other folks, hear them talk, watch their faces...

It was also a great reminder of just how abnormal my "normal" life had gotten w/my A. If I spoke to these folks, they heard me the first time, didn't automatically go "What?" to everything I said. If I talked w/someone and then saw him/her a week later, he/she remembered what we'd talked about, instead of going "well, I guess it wasn't important enough for me to memorize it" in a snide way like XAH so often did. It was really helpful in keeping myself from minimizing just how bad the marriage had gotten, to see what interactions were like among people who actually liked and respected each other.

And that makes me realize just how often, when I went seeking a specific thing, I may or may not have found the thing I was looking for, but almost always found something worthwhile...thanks for making me think about that!

PeacefulWater12 10-17-2017 10:09 AM

Glad to hear it went well. I found Al-anon an enormous help.

AlcSis 10-17-2017 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by feistybluebird (Post 6639192)
I went to a meeting tonight. I was skeptical at first, as I watched more mature women walking in. I thought, how are they going to relate to my situation? I decided to give it a chance. I am so very glad I did. I intend to go back and I think I'm going to find a great deal of wisdom in that room.

Hi Feisty - :c011:

Glad you went to the Alanon Meeting!!!!

Who knows? You might end up asking one of the "mature" women to be your Sponsor. (That's what I did, and it turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made.)

Hugs to ya'

Mango blast 10-30-2017 11:05 PM

Coming here, posting, going to Alanon... all some of the best things I've done for myself.

Keep coming back.... take what you like and leave the rest. (((Hugs)))

Maudcat 10-31-2017 06:12 AM

I’m glad you went. Trya few different meetings to find the best fit. It may be the one you attended, or another one.

hopeful4 10-31-2017 07:31 AM

Glad you had a good experience!

maia1234 10-31-2017 07:02 PM

Life changing for me also.

It works when you work it..