"How to help a friend..."

Old 10-03-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes, that is true Ophelia. There is definitely a period of grief when watching someone go down the rabbit hole. However, we MUST realize that they have a choice. These people have had all the support and love offered to them, yet continue on. That is their free choice. It does not have to be that way.

Big hugs friend.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

While I do think this is for "baby addictions", I like the compassion presented in this article over the "attack therapy" that oftentimes is the approach used for addicts. I have spoken to those who have overcome addictions, and they almost all say that the "You are an addict" harsh therapy thing was not helpful, and, if anything, got them to dig their heels in more to prove otherwise (often by using more...lol...cuz that makes logical sense to them somehow). The ones who overcame addiction stated it was that one person who loved them unconditionally but still had them face the consequences of their behaviors (e.g. didn't bail them out of jail but visited them there) over the ones just pushing "tough love" on them.

Just my thoughts...
Old 10-07-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am in a cynical mood. The article struck me as "I lingered in addiction and it wasn't my fault because my friends and family weren't supportive enough."

I hope she continues in her recovery, enough to own her own contribution to her situation.

I rolled my eyes at the rat experiment. Okay, so the rats live in rats heaven. That's nice. Rats don't have things like responsibilities. They don't have to go to jobs, or pay the rent, repair the furnace, or sustain a marriage. Raising the kids is done on instinct and is through in what, 30 days? And in the experiment, everything they need is right there. No foraging for food, no defensive driving taking the kids to soccer practice, no *teaching the little rats to drive themselves.* I found it sort of vaguely blames everyone else for not making the lives of the alcoholics perfect. The idea that the sober need to be slaves to the addicts is a non starter with me.

The author has free will. She can doctor-shop, or ask her doctor for help. Now insurance companies are re-thinking paying for opiates. What about the many people who use them correctly? Who aren't addicted, and need them to function?

I will say, though, it seems some doctors hand these things out like candy. My boss and my man-friend had the exact same surgery within a couple months of one another. ( Umbilical hernia.) Man friend told the doctor not to bother writing a scrip for opiates since he wouldn't fill it or take them. He didn't need them, either. Boss was given a prescription for 30 days worth of pills! He filled his scrip (don't know why, he generally avoids meds). He took them for four days, quit because the pain just wasn't that bad. He did say quitting was uncomfortable

What are doctors thinking? This is day surgery!