Co-dependent AND Alcoholic?

Old 10-24-2004, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Co-dependent AND Alcoholic?

I have just a simple question, but the answer may not be so simple. Can an alcoholic also be co-dependent at the same time?
Old 10-24-2004, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Blondie -

I'm no expert on this subject but I can speak from personal experience. My AH is definitely codependent. From what I know of his past, he was a Codie long before he was an alcoholic. I'd be willing to bet that an awful lot of A's are Codie's.

Hugs, Jo
Old 10-24-2004, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

I'm not an expert eithier but my brother is an alocholic and codie as well. My mother is a nurse and has researched this a bit-and like Jo said they can be Codie before they are alcoholics-
((Hugs))
Old 10-24-2004, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yea its very possible, I am both
Old 10-25-2004, 01:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My A b/f is both.

He is no longer in denial about being an A, however totally denies that he is a codie. As a recovering codie myself, I know that it is up to him to figure it out.

I am working hard at realising the part that I have played in the game and learning how to stop participating. Not easy, but one day at a time is now my motto.

Like jojo, I believe that many (most? all?) addicts are co-dependent. The very nature of co-dependency means putting the attention onto somebody else, rather than yourself. Don't addicts do the same, albeit with a substance, as well as people?

Aren't codies addicts too?

Last edited by minnie; 10-25-2004 at 06:54 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-25-2004, 06:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Radar

I'm a recovering alocholic and a codie. So is my H although he doesn't admit to being a codie.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses, you have shed a lot of light on this subject for me. I am co-dependent and my husband recently started going to AA and after attending meetings for a few months has found that he is co-dependent as well. The members of AA suggested that he should address his alcoholism first and then he can delve into his co-dependent issues. His being co-dependent and an alcoholic explains a lot to me about some of his strange behavior in the past.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

me, me, me, me

(waving both hands in the air) I'm definetly both codie and alkie. Can't tell you which one I was _first_, but I'm definetly both

Mike :-)
Old 10-25-2004, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

You know the old saying, "Takes one to know one." No relationship is onesidedly co-dependent. The problem with alcoholics is that they must first remove the substance before they can deal with the underlying problems. Unfortunately, many alcoholics think removing the substance is the answer to their probems, when it is only a beginning. Hugs, Magic