He relapsed - The best thing that happened

Old 08-27-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BFT

He relapsed - The best thing that happened

Maybe you remember me and my recovering friend (read here www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/405961-my-friend.html). I posted a while ago that I was worried what would happen if he'd relapse and how I should respond to it.

As expected, he relapsed and it was the best thing that could happen.

We did not see eachother for a couple of weeks. From his messaging I realized something was off and I thought it actually happened.
When we met again, it was the first thing he came up with. He relapsed on drugs and alcohol for a couple of days while abroad.
He always was afraid that if he would relapse that he would go straight back into binge drinking like he used to do. He was anxious and tense and afraid to go out or have a social life because the monster of relapse always seemed to be there.

The experience was obviously so awful, that he doesn't want to have it ever again. It was quite healing to him. He proved that he is serious by recently walking into a store and buy two bags full of alcohol for a party without touching any of it himself.

When he told me, I saw him happier and more relaxed than ever. I just listened to him because I felt that he wanted to unleash it and then we both had a good laugh together about how stupid he was.

I guess 6 months sober gave him a good taste of how nice life is without drinking. This was the necessary bump in the road of recovery to set him right back on track. He came to realize what is important in his life and that he is the only one responsible for reaching his goals. He apologized to me for being a bad friend sometimes.

For me personally it was great to learn that I could really chill it. I was afraid that I would react emotional and that it would show me that I am much more into it that I would ever admit. All I did was listening and laugh with him and this mainly thanks to all of you who gave me advice and opened my eyes when I first came here. Thank you!