can i ask about step 8

Old 08-26-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can i ask about step 8

Hi I've been up all night and getting myself really upset(yes I know it's me)I'd really like to know if it's OK to ask ah on step 8 about who he's been with during our marriage.this question is for me so I don't have to be in someone's company who may have slept with my ah.and maybe it really was just a one night stand but I'd like to know if it was just the once.?
Old 08-26-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there.

You always have the right to question your partner about infidelities, regardless of where he is with his recovery. It sounds like you know for a fact he has been unfaithful, just not who with or how often?

His stepwork is his business, it's not a joint thing. You're not doing the steps together. He may or may not share any or all of his step work with you.

If you have decided to do the steps yourself, then this is a good question for your Al-Anon sponsor. But your step 8 work will focus on you, not your AH.

I hope that helps?
Old 08-26-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks sparkle.

Yes I do know he's had at least a one night stand.I've only just started alanon so haven't a sponsor as yet so it's great to be able to chat to you guys when I'm overwhelmed.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's overwhelming. Keep coming back. Weekends tend to be a little slower on the site, but someone eventually checks in.

Hang in there. This isn't a knot that gets untangled overnight.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks sparkle

I've just been reading coco's post on guilt.I'm crippled with it but I'm taking responsibility at last for myself so I can be a better mom.ita all thanks to this site it's like a wakeup call.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

dawnrun....you don't need our permission to ask your husband about that question. In fact, it is not our permission to give.....
It is purely personal, between you and him...
Old 08-26-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Seems best for you not to force this name or names from him. If he at sometime shares them with you -- oh well.

At most times it's best to keep the past in the past ??

Hearing about my wife's old boyfriends (even from before we met) I find not that exciting.

What's most important today is full trust and knowing that we would not go out on each other (even for a million dollars).

M-Bob
Old 08-26-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Question....why do you want to know? What would you do with that info? Not suggesting you should/shouldn't get it - but I agree with the comments above that his steps are his, so that wouldn't be my legitimate reason (excuse?) to ask. We don't know your story; I am just curious as to whether it will (if you are honest) bring you peace or (more) trouble.

Taking care of yourself is a good place to start- just like the alcoholic needs to do. I am the alcoholic myself and have not gotten to Al Anon yet (I anticipate I will, as the ACOA) but I do know that the BB chapter "To The Family" has some good wisdom and direction for everyone in the alcoholic family.

I should perhaps add that it hasn't done my fiance a lot of good in making peace with his ex-wife's affairs to know who the men were. The last one is her partner now, and since they have kids there is obviously knowledge - but he has certainly had to make peace with ALL of that.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

maybe you're looking at the wrong end of the cheating stick.

is it really WHO he was sleeping with or THAT he was sleeping with someone who was not you?
Old 08-26-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

dawnrun....to be honest, I can identify with your curiosity. I know that if it were my own husband/boyfriend, I would be totally curious...and angry...and hurt....and my trust level would sink to the ocean floor.
And I am quite sure that I would ask....yes, I know I would!

The only thing, though....is that I know that no answer would really satisfy me....because, the trust is shattered, so I would wonder if any answer that he would give was the real/total truth.
I guess, that in reality, one really never sure if they know the whole truth. Only the guy in question really knows, for sure. I suspect, if the truth were known, there are a lot of relationships where infidelity has happened, and the partner never knows.

I do think it was cruel to tell you....except for one thing...you can now protect yourself from any STDs.

Once trust is broken...it takes a long time to rebuild....
That is just the reality of the situation....

My heart goes out to you....
Old 08-26-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

dawnrun, there are so many things that I wonder about w/XAH--cheating doesn't happen to be one of them, but many other things over the 20 years we were together. Knowing that this man has looked me right in the eyes and claimed he was sober and going to AA over a 4-year period when he was doing neither of those things, remembering how he swore that he hadn't made the cigarette burn on my patchwork comforter and that it wasn't even a cigarette burn (nothing else looks like a cig burn, and with only the 2 of us in the house and me a non-smoker for many years, who else could it be?)--there was simply not one shred of credibility left by the end.

So even if you asked AH, would you believe him? That was finally the bitter truth that I arrived at--there was no point in asking b/c I wouldn't believe what he'd told me anyway.

ETA: dandy and I apparently were posting at the same time. I just saw this from her

The only thing, though....is that I know that no answer would really satisfy me....because, the trust is shattered, so I would wonder if any answer that he would give was the real/total truth.
and we seem to be saying the same thing, to at least some extent. Once the trust is gone, it doesn't matter what you ask b/c you don't believe the answer anyway...
Old 08-26-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Dawnrun,

In the same boat - tough situation see my recent blog "Fear of unlocking the door"

You may wish to read Daring to Trust by David Richo (Chapter 5) In the end you need to the strength, and courage to focus on you and your mindfulness and well being. This will help guide you as to what you do next.

Take care
Old 08-27-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your replies and comments.

Well I did ask and got my answers and yes he only admits to the one night stand..thing is I wouldn't believe his radio.so although I'd had my suspicions all along about this so called friend I needed to know he wasn't still lying to me I asked her to tell me,and she called him a liar said she didn't sneak into his bed or sleep with him.. soo(cringe) I slapped her...
Old 08-27-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

And yes I know this was wrong..
Old 08-27-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dawn are you getting any face-to-face real world help and support? Al-Anon or maybe counseling?
Old 08-27-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

soo(cringe) I slapped her...

well that's not good. things sort of cascaded out of control, didn't they?

what would be the best, wisest choice for YOU going forward?
Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Well, Dawn....as you can see, you are never going to know the truth...and the whole truth.....
When one gets to the point, in a relationship, that they are laying on hands to someone else....it is a symptom that the relationship is /has done a lot of damage....
Infidelity can raise some of our most primitive and powerful emotions....
It can raise emotions from our most primitive brains....the "hind brain" or "lizard brain".

when this happens, I think it is a big signal that one must step back...way back...and examine the situation from a point of more objectivity....step back from the fire, a bit....and focus on one's self...get more clarity...become stronger within one's self.....
More support and knowledge will help you to do this....

Alanon and your own counseling is a basic stepping stone....and....please use our large library of materials, from our stickies section....
I am going to give you a link to the part called "Classic Readings".....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 08-27-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dawn.....here is where the "stickies" section is located....(Classic Readings in in the last one in that section)....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...find-them.html
Old 08-27-2017, 09:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've got one to one counselling sorted had one this week and 2 planned for nxt week.I know I come across bad on this site with my behavior I've never in a million years thought I'd be capable of slapping anyone,that's just not me.

I've been reading back through my posts and can see clearly how out of control my own behavior is.god I nearly told her husband!how bad is that.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yeah, I know, dawn....a toxic relationship can take us to places we never intended to be.....
Take it as a painful life lesson....and, the painful lessons are the ones that we tend to not forget...lol....