New here...feeling helpless

Old 08-25-2017, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here...feeling helpless

Hi. I just spent an hour googling "husband sneaks alcohol" and reading posts on this forum about people going through the same thing I am. I'm so obviously not the only one here hurt and confused and not knowing what to do.

It would take me 16 years to write about all of the ups and downs with my husband, but no one has time for that. My husband is a secret drinker. I have never gotten him to admit that he has a problem, and so many of the same exact stories are here. I'm glad to know I'm not alone, yet sad that alcohol is such a prevalent problem for so many.

My husband is a professional. We have two children. Everyone thinks we are the perfect couple and he is an amazing leader in his position. Yet for some reason he feels the need to drink.

But I can't tell if he's an alcoholic. Most of me thinks yes. He hides it. When he walks in the door the first thing he does is grab a drink. He drinks in front of me, but then he also sneaks more drinks so he doesn't let me see how much he is drinking. He must think I'm stupid.

He holds his job together. He is fine during the day. Then evening comes. I dread the evening. It all starts then. But what makes them transition from a drinker to an alcoholic? Where is the line when it switches?

I read so many of these posts that say I can't change him. I believe that. I've tried saying things. But I'm so stuck. I have two children. I want so badly to leave him but what would that do to the kids? And all of the stuff we have together? It seems so daunting. And if I told him I was leaving he would not understand it at all. He truly doesn't think he drinks too much. But he can't go a day without drinking. And I don't want someone in my life or my kids' lives who is so weak he can't say no or admit something is wrong.

I can't live with the lies. But I don't know how to do it without our family unit together either.

I'm lost. I'm helpless. I'm stuck.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You made a good first step by reaching out here. I'm not clinically qualified to tell you if he's an alcoholic, but I can tell you that I too drank in secret. I drank in front of my wife in moderation, but always had another bottle handy for when she went to work (I work night shift so lots of free time for me). For me personally, I got tired of it all and quit. I don't even know if I'm an alcoholic, but certainly alcohol created more problems for me than it solved. Having a job, "things," etc., does not mean one doesn't have a problem. Alcoholics are masters of "holding it together," but it never lasts. Keep reaching out here. There are some good folks with tons of experience.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome JeepGirl......I am glad you found us and have already been reading other people's posts......

If he is hiding it...it sounds like he is struggling with his alcohol use, and, has probably been for a long time....
Alcoholism is not a sign of "weakness" and it is no respecter of persons....it can happen to anybody....rich, poor, young, old, male, female, etc.....
It has been called "the disease of denial"....so, it is not surprising that he is not agreeing that there is a problem....

I doubt that he "thinks you are stupid"......probably, the opposite.
His drinking isn't about you....It is about what is within his self. For an alcoholic, there is a very powerful compulsion to drink....
It isn't just about logic....

It will help if you gain an understanding about the nature of alcoholim...so, you, at least know what to expect and what you are up against....
Also, it helps if you learn about how it affects the loved ones and the family....
Alanon would be a good idea for you, right now, because it focuses on the loved ones....and it is so supportive to be with others who have walked in your shoes and understand what you are going through...more than just mere words....

I can hear that you feel overwhelmed, right now...and, understandably so.

I am giving you a link to our extensive library of articles about alcoholism and the loved ones, as well. There are dozens and dozens. They are located in our "sticky" section...just above the threads.
It would be a good idea to start reading through them....

HERE IS THAT LINK
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...c-reading.html

I do hope that you stick around and keep learning and keep posting....
Old 08-26-2017, 12:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jeepgirl......

Here are so me more things that can be helpful....
The book, "Co-dependent No More" is practically a "bible", around here. You can get it from the library, Amazon, and most any other book source. You can probably relate to it, quite a bit....

Also....please familiarize yourself with out "Sticky" section....just above the threads. There is sooo much information, located there...
Here is a diagram for you to find it....(the Classic Reading section that I recommended to you, in the prior link) is located within the bottom sticky).....just so you know...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...find-them.html
Old 08-26-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Welcome JeepGirl......I am glad you found us and have already been reading other people's posts......

If he is hiding it...it sounds like he is struggling with his alcohol use, and, has probably been for a long time....
Alcoholism is not a sign of "weakness" and it is no respecter of persons....it can happen to anybody....rich, poor, young, old, male, female, etc.....
It has been called "the disease of denial"....so, it is not surprising that he is not agreeing that there is a problem....

I doubt that he "thinks you are stupid"......probably, the opposite.
His drinking isn't about you....It is about what is within himself. For an alcoholic, there is a very powerful compulsion to drink....
It isn't just about logic....

It will help if you gain an understanding about the nature of alcoholim...so, you, at least know what to expect and what you are up against....
Also, it helps if you learn about how it affects the loved ones and the family....
Alanon would be a good idea for you, right now, because it focuses on the loved ones....and it is so supportive to be with others who have walked in your shoes and understand what you are going through...more than just mere words....

I can hear that you feel overwhelmed, right now...and, understandably so.

I am giving you a link to our extensive library of articles about alcoholism and the loved ones, as well. There are dozens and dozens. They are located in our "sticky" section...just above the threads.
It would be a good idea to start reading through them....

HERE IS THAT LINK
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...c-reading.html

I do hope that you stick around and keep learning and keep posting....
The more you post, the better we can help you.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks. I'll keep reading. I'll also keep crying. I just don't know how to live my life like this anymore. I'm in a no-win. All the reading does is solidify the fact that I can't help him. And that I have to make a change or accept my life as is. And that's probably the hardest realization to make.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

sorry about the double post! I don't know what happened.....
Old 08-26-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jeepgirl....you don't have to make a decision or take action, right away (unless you are in physical danger, of course).....
You can make the decision to get some support for yourself, so that you can get more clarity.....
alanon would be a good support for what you are feeling, right now....
You are not alone....
Old 08-26-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Jeepgirl....you don't have to make a decision or take action, right away (unless you are in physical danger, of course).....
You can make the decision to get some support for yourself, so that you can get more clarity.....
alanon would be a good support for what you are feeling, right now....
You are not alone....
But what will support do? Nod and smile and say they understand what I'm going through. But I am so unbelievably unhappy. Leaving or staying will make me that way.

I'm not arguing. I hope it doesn't sound that way.

I've looked up meetings around me and there's only one. And it's in the evening and I don't know what I would do with my kids. Husband works that night usually.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If getting to meetings is an issue, keep reaching out here. I don't post a lot, but reading in the various forums has been a big help. I'm suspecting that you already feel like the marriage is over, or at least on life support, and that you are grieving that right now. Understandable, but also healthy.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Jeepgirl....you don't have to go....it is just a suggestion. It is just that so many people here, who have been through what you are now, going through, say that it helped them to be able to face and deal with their emotions and their lives.....

I know that you are feeling "stuck"......but, you won't stay stuck, forever.....
change will come. Nothing in life stays the same, forever....(LOL..the one thing that is constant is change)......
It is late at night, now....so, the forum is a little slow....but, more members will be along who will be able to relate to how you are feeling......
I know that you are feeling a great weight on your shoulders and are probably having a lot of fear.....that is common and very understandable....
Take this a day at a time, and you will get through this....
Old 08-26-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, Jeepgirl--welcome to SR. Like dandy, I'm glad to hear you've been reading around the F&F section. Sometimes folks come in w/blinders on and only ever read/post in their own thread--they are missing the biggest part of the benefits to be gained here. You've got a head start on that, so good for you!

You've already received info regarding the "stickies" as well as suggestions to check into Alanon. . Alanon can be a great in-person resource and I would encourage you to pursue it if you possibly can. Unless you live in a very rural area, it's hard to imagine there is only one Alanon meeting near you. This is the link to locate meetings: https://al-anon.org/al-anon-meetings/

I have done some volunteering at our local Alanon office, and I have received more than one call from someone who was put off by by the designation of various meetings as "open" or "closed." I explained that "closed" doesn't mean that new members are not welcome; it just means that the group is only intended for those whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking. So for instance, a student looking to write a paper should not attend a "closed" meeting but rather look for an "open" one--although since no one asks for credentials when you walk in, these designations are more of a courtesy than an actual requirement.

Anyway, my point is that if you are seeing Alanon meetings marked "closed", that doesn't mean you can't attend. And if there truly is only one meeting in your area, check out the suggestions for the virtual meetings. Maybe that would work for you. I also know that SR offers chat forums. Here is a link to that, although I can't offer any personal experience w/them: Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

As one of our members here likes to say, "Knowledge is power!" It's so true--when I was in my own little tiny world w/XAH, everything was an n of 1. I had no way to reality check what I was seeing, hearing, feeling, being told. I felt alone, scared, and constantly off balance and confused.

Once I got started in SR and Alanon, I began to see the patterns of behavior that A's seem to share. I felt a lot less crazy and alone. Then I began to see the patterns of behavior that I shared w/other spouses/partners/etc. of A's. Now that was truly eye-opening!

Again, to echo dandy, you don't have to make any big decisions right now. Take some time, adjust to your new reality, keep educating yourself. I came here in March of 2013 and it took till March of 2015 for me to separate from AH and then divorce in June of 2015. You'll begin to see your path much more clearly as you learn more. Your perspective will change, and you'll find strength and courage you never knew you had. There IS a peaceful, healthy life waiting for you and your kids on the other side of this alcoholic dysfunction.

Hope to hear more from you in the days to come!

PS: You mentioned being concerned about what a divorce would do to your kids. You can check this section Adult Children of Addicted/Alcoholic Parents - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information of the forum to see what others have to say about growing up in an alcoholic household. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone say they wished the sober parent had stayed with the alcoholic, but don't take my word for it, get it straight from the horse's mouth.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Jeepgirl, it sounds to me like you're reaching crisis point. You've tried talking without getting through to him, and you shouldn't feel dread when evening comes. If you can't get to a meeting, maybe you could have individual counselling to sort out your thoughts? Sharing with a professional can be very helpful in relieving your feelings and sorting out a plan. If you've never tried counselling, give it a chance.
It never hurts to plan for your future by education, saving and finding out your rights. Give yourself options and take some power back.
Would it be worth talking very seriously to your AH again, or even writing him a letter, and spelling out how this affects you? Being very frank?
Old 08-26-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Jeepgirl,

I'm so sorry you needed to find us, but glad you did. One of the most gut-wrenching things for me to realize early on is that there was nothing I could do to change the alcoholics and addicts in my life. I could remain in contact with them and accept them as is, or I could protect myself, my peace, and my sanity by limiting contact.

And yes, when we love someone, that is a gut-wrenching and painful idea to wrestle with. Believe me when I tell you, we get it--totally.

Many folks find a lot of comfort and support in face-to-face meetings, others have found one-on-one sessions with a counselor who specializes in addiction, some, like me, rely solely on SR for support and education. There are many options you can explore to find what works best for you, but you definitely deserve support!

Sending prayers for strength and clarity for you, your children, and your husband.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Educated yourself before you make any serious decisions. The most impotant thing you can do is learn how to take care of yourself. Then you can take care of your children. You cannot do anthing for your husband at this time so don't waste your time or energy. Reach out for help. There is so much support out there for you. Seek it out.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Jg,
Welcome, glad you found us. You have gotten some great advice from the posters above. I know you are overwhelmed with what you are reading. As with alcohlism, our part in this dance, is groomed over time, becoming an enabler. Then one day we wake up, 16 years later and go what has happened to my life. He is the addict but you are crazy, it is so out of control that you don't know where to turn.

Education is power!! You will realize that alcoholism is progressive, it will get worse, as you are living it. What we learn in alanon, open aa meetings, or through a therapist, is how to take care of ourselves and children. He is an adult and it is not your responsibility to monitor his drinking. Does it really matter if he has the title of alcoholic. If someone told you, no he wasn't, would you believe them? They don't live in your home and have seen what you have experienced. As said above, alcohol has caused problems in your life so it is an issue.

Take your time and make mindful decisions. I know you are worried about the kids and a broken home. I was with my axh for 34 painful years. I am seeing the affects of the "enabler" of me in my oldest daughter. I see what she is doing in her relationship and I know she codependent just like me. I stayed together for my kids (and of course because I was to sick to leave) but i am seeing the disfunctional decisions they are making because of the life we lived. Ugh!! Sometimes it's not always best to stay together just to have the "family" title. Families come in all shapes and sizes.

Do your homework, you are worth it!! Hugs
Old 08-26-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for just reading, and replying, and not letting me feel alone. I know all of us are experiencing similar stories, but to feel like an individual with this struggle is also important.

The thing that started my post last night was that my husband ran up to my work to grab my computer and came back after an hour and fifteen minutes. My workplace is ten minutes away. He stumbled in the house, I asked him what took so long, and he made up some story about being on the phone with his parents. Long story short, I knew it was lies, and when my daughter woke me up with a stomach bug in the middle of the night (which I took care of myself because, as usual, my husband was passed out and snoring), I decided to do some investigating. There was no call log from his parents on his cell, his car had a lighter (he also secretly but not secretly smokes, which also peeves me), and a sonic drink. I picked up the sonic drink (a Route 44!), and sure enough, It was mixed with liquor. My heart dropped. Drinking and driving now?!? I'm devastated.

I asked him this morning to tell me the truth. What did he actually do last night when he was gone? Usually when this happens he will continue to lie to me, it turns into a fight, and I'm the paranoid one, and then it blows over and is ignored. This time, he said, very calmly, "I bought a pack of smokes." I said, "What else?" He quietly said, "I was drinking."

He said he couldn't believe he admitted it to me and that he thinks he has a problem. He said he has been hiding it quite a while (duh, he's a TERRIBLE hider!). He said he is scared because he doesn't know why he does it and he doesn't think he can stop. He also said he knows the consequences way outweigh the benefits, but even knowing that he could lose everything with his drinking (he works in a field that doesn't tolerate criminal/drinking/DWI/any type of records of any type and would be terminated immediately and he is the breadwinner), he still can't stop. Not to mention that he could kill someone drinking and driving. And that scares him. But he's NEVER verbalized this to me.

He's also worried that if he gets help he will run into people that won't keep it confidential and he could put his job at risk. He's even afraid our employer will look to see if he's gone to counseling and he will lose his job. Paranoia. I told him none of that will happen and we can even find somewhere in another town to get help or go to meetings.

I told him that I am not starting this cycle again with him and that I have very little time before I pick up the kids and dog and start a new life. I am not issuing him an ultimatum like to not drink because that doesn't work, but I must see him doing something to take the next step. AA meetings, counseling, couples counseling, heck, I am even willing to try sending him to rehab. I know it's expensive but I want for him to get better.

That being said, I still don't believe him. I think it's the cycle starting all over again. Only once before has he told me he thinks he drinks too much, and that was maybe about a year ago, when he was very lucid late at night and very drunk.

So there it is. There is the most current part of the story. My trust is shattered, my faith in everything is shattered, and honestly, I don't know if I want to help him, but I have no idea where to start in leaving him. Friends, colleagues (we work in the same field), family...what a nightmare. But that's why I'm still here, and someone up above said it best about how it's better once you're out. So many roadblocks to get there, though.

Life is hard. It really is. Kids have no idea how easy they have it.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Jeepgirl, I hope you stick around.

I stayed with my XAH until my youngest was almost 16 and the eldest had already left home. It was a shock to everyone when we split up. On the outside we looked like the perfect family, so often asked by people, " What's your secret? You guys are still so in love after all these years!"... Love wasn't the problem,we had plenty of that, unfortunately it wasn't enough and it certainly wasn't the cure for his alcohol addiction...and it certainly didn't help the special brand of crazy I became because of my codependency.

Like your husband, my XAH started out having a couple drinks or beers yet getting plastered... there was always something out in his shop he had to go check on or do. Of course he would lie if I accused him of going out there to drink more alcohol. Always with the lies, as his alcoholism got worse so did the lying. He lied about drinking, he lied about money, he lied about where he was and what he was doing, you name it, he lied about it. He would even lie about things that were utterly ridiculous and did not need to be lied about.. I could never understand that, I have since learned that this behavior is very common in addicted people. Ultimately it was the lack of trust because of the lies that broke us up. I couldn't trust him and I didn't trust myself any more either. I wanted to believe him but every time I did that got my heart broken all over again. Love isn't supposed to hurt like that.

I grew up with a mother who was/is codependent. A lot of what I learned about being a "strong" wife and mother I learned from her. I often felt like I wasn't living up to her example because she always sacrificed so much of herself and I wasn't being that "giving" ( or so I thought, the truth was I had given up so much of myself I was practically gone). So much of my decision to stay with my AXH as long as I did, was because I thought I had to live up to my promises and stay with him through thick and thin just like my mum did with my dad. I just had to , that's what "good" women do. My mum thought she was setting a good example for her kids, and in many ways she did, she raised us right... but when it came down to her relationship with an alcoholic spouse, she dropped the ball big time. I tried so hard not to marry a man like my dad, but that's exactly what I did. And then I turned into my mum. When my marriage fell apart and I drew those conclusions about my parents and how they helped form me, it was quite the painful epiphany. I didn't BLAME them, they both did the best they could with what they knew, but it sure opened my eyes to a lot of "whys".

It wasn't easy to turn a life-long, born and bred-in behavior, but I did it. When my daughter was 20 years old ( during and after my break up with her dad) she was living with a boyfriend ( mid 20s) who had a developing drinking problem. She listened to me when I talked to her about alcoholism and codependence, she read Codependent No More, she did her own research and then she broke her own heart by breaking up with the young man - because she didn't want to spend her life living like that. She even commented to me that she could learn by other people's mistakes. She learned at 20 , what I learned at 40, and what my mother still hasn't learned today at 70+... I like to think we have finally broken the cycle of codependent women in our line... my daughter has no children, but when she does, I have confidence she wont set the example myself and my mother set before her.

I told you all that to let you know you aren't alone. I have been exactly where you are. I had a husband with a good job, we loved each other, we had a nice home and a family. A beautiful property, great pets and a bunch of fun toys... but his alcoholism was ripping him apart and subsequently my codependence ended up doing the same to me. It got progressively worse for both of us. He refused to change so I had to if I wanted any kind of a happy existence. In MY case our marriage did not survive... It was not an easy life transition but I am a much happy, healthier woman than I was just a few short years ago.

I hope you keep reaching out and learning all you can about alcoholism and codependence.When I learned to erect boundaries for my life instead of trying to set rules or ultimatums for him, that's when my life started to turn around.

Good Luck, Jeepgirl. It's a rocky road being married to an alcoholic. Wishing Peace and Strength for you as you navigate all this stuff...no matter which road you choose.

Hugs.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
Welcome Jeepgirl, I hope you stick around.

I stayed with my XAH until my youngest was almost 16 and the eldest had already left home. It was a shock to everyone when we split up. On the outside we looked like the perfect family, so often asked by people, " What's your secret? You guys are still so in love after all these years!"... Love wasn't the problem,we had plenty of that, unfortunately it wasn't enough and it certainly wasn't the cure for his alcohol addiction...and it certainly didn't help the special brand of crazy I became because of my codependency.

Like your husband, my XAH started out having a couple drinks or beers yet getting plastered... there was always something out in his shop he had to go check on or do. Of course he would lie if I accused him of going out there to drink more alcohol. Always with the lies, as his alcoholism got worse so did the lying. He lied about drinking, he lied about money, he lied about where he was and what he was doing, you name it, he lied about it. He would even lie about things that were utterly ridiculous and did not need to be lied about.. I could never understand that, I have since learned that this behavior is very common in addicted people. Ultimately it was the lack of trust because of the lies that broke us up. I couldn't trust him and I didn't trust myself any more either. I wanted to believe him but every time I did that got my heart broken all over again. Love isn't supposed to hurt like that.

I grew up with a mother who was/is codependent. A lot of what I learned about being a "strong" wife and mother I learned from her. I often felt like I wasn't living up to her example because she always sacrificed so much of herself and I wasn't being that "giving" ( or so I thought, the truth was I had given up so much of myself I was practically gone). So much of my decision to stay with my AXH as long as I did, was because I thought I had to live up to my promises and stay with him through thick and thin just like my mum did with my dad. I just had to , that's what "good" women do. My mum thought she was setting a good example for her kids, and in many ways she did, she raised us right... but when it came down to her relationship with an alcoholic spouse, she dropped the ball big time. I tried so hard not to marry a man like my dad, but that's exactly what I did. And then I turned into my mum. When my marriage fell apart and I drew those conclusions about my parents and how they helped form me, it was quite the painful epiphany. I didn't BLAME them, they both did the best they could with what they knew, but it sure opened my eyes to a lot of "whys".

It wasn't easy to turn a life-long, born and bred-in behavior, but I did it. When my daughter was 20 years old ( during and after my break up with her dad) she was living with a boyfriend ( mid 20s) who had a developing drinking problem. She listened to me when I talked to her about alcoholism and codependence, she read Codependent No More, she did her own research and then she broke her own heart by breaking up with the young man - because she didn't want to spend her life living like that. She even commented to me that she could learn by other people's mistakes. She learned at 20 , what I learned at 40, and what my mother still hasn't learned today at 70+... I like to think we have finally broken the cycle of codependent women in our line... my daughter has no children, but when she does, I have confidence she wont set the example myself and my mother set before her.

I told you all that to let you know you aren't alone. I have been exactly where you are. I had a husband with a good job, we loved each other, we had a nice home and a family. A beautiful property, great pets and a bunch of fun toys... but his alcoholism was ripping him apart and subsequently my codependence ended up doing the same to me. It got progressively worse for both of us. He refused to change so I had to if I wanted any kind of a happy existence. In MY case our marriage did not survive... It was not an easy life transition but I am a much happy, healthier woman than I was just a few short years ago.

I hope you keep reaching out and learning all you can about alcoholism and codependence.When I learned to erect boundaries for my life instead of trying to set rules or ultimatums for him, that's when my life started to turn around.

Good Luck, Jeepgirl. It's a rocky road being married to an alcoholic. Wishing Peace and Strength for you as you navigate all this stuff...no matter which road you choose.

Hugs.
thank you. seriously, thanks. :-)
Old 08-26-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

JG,
Acknowleding that you have a drinking problem and doing something about it are two different worlds. It is common on these boards for an alcoholic, who is under "pressure" from a spouse, to "admit" that they might have a problem. Then the codies goes wow, he's an amazing man, so strong and sensitive accepting what "I" have known for a long time. But...... you know the story, nothing happens, no AA, no rehab, no out patient, just nothing.

Work on yourself. Educate yourself. Its God's plan not ours. Step back and let things fall as they may. Hugs!!