Am I doing the right thing?

Old 08-13-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I doing the right thing?

I have been dealing with my husband's alcoholism for 20 years. The past 4 have been the worst. He was fired for drinking on the job and was not able to collect unemployment, he has beginning signs of cirrhosis (after ignoring 15 years of positive fatty liver results), his car is all banged up and his car insurance is up to 3000 a year. Amongst other things that have resulted from drinking. Our marriage is a disaster and most of these things listed are from alcohol. He says my love is so conditional. I can't have a conversation with him because he is very negative and gets argumentative, therefore it's only small talk when he's drinking. I love him so much but I can't be around him when he's intoxicated and it infuriates him. Am I doing the wrong thing by staying away from him?
Old 08-13-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You have every right to stay away from him. A practicing alcoholic is very hard to be around or to live with....
Old 08-13-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My stepson is very negative. He says things like "Everyone says they want to help me but no one will *do* anything."

The problem is that he sees help as the family paying for his everything (place to live, food, clothes, car, phone) and not ever talking to him about how much his drinking and drug use has affected his family over the years. Addict logic is non-existent. I have found over the years to not take whatever he says seriously because his view of the world is filtered through his disease.

Fortunately, my late husband asked him to leave the house before we were ever married, so I have not had to deal with daily face-to-face drunk or jonesing or speeding conversations and drama.

I won't tell you what to do, but I found SR to be a great help in learning about addiction and how to cope whether or not my addictive loved ones are actively pursuing their drug of choice.

Welcome!
Old 08-14-2017, 03:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I don't think there's such a thing as unconditional love among couples, and if you did still love him that way you'd be in serious denial.

You must do what's necessary to look after yourself, because looking after him is not doing him any favours.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your all your input. These are words that I have heard before from people that are not walking in my shoes. It's different hearing it from you. I'm glad I found SR. ❤