Forgot how to stop reacting...need tips

Old 08-03-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

^^^^^very good points, I think.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When I try to talk to my sister about shouldering the responsibilities, she starts to hysterically cry and immediately makes me feel like a horrible person.
That’s the purpose of her crying hysterically – to get you to feel horrible and she gets her way. She wants to avoid the conversation that has anything to do with her having to take responsibility for herself. It’s manipulation, a horrible hurtful weapon that she uses against you.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

VERY good points. For 7 years I've chosen problems to tackle that aren't the BIG one. I might have subconsciously created those problems so that I wouldn't have to tackle the BIG one. That's what I was discussing with my brother. I invited all of these distractions into my life and now I'm overwhelmed by them. So, it's my fault, I know...and I'm going to have to fix them. So, I will start with small steps and set a goal of when I'm going to fix that BIG one. I have to....I deserve it....it makes me feel stronger planning one step.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Becki67 View Post
I invited all of these distractions into my life and now I'm overwhelmed by them. So, it's my fault, I know...and I'm going to have to fix them.
That Al-Anon meeting title is the theme of the discussion and speaker, but everyone will be sharing what's on their mind. You may share or choose to just listen and remain quiet. The point is not just going but participating. The point of Al-Anon is to find fellowship, support and community so that you lessen that feeling of having to fix everything. The point of Al-Anon is to develop your spiritual life and your awareness that your higher power is working on your behalf all the time so that you can lessen that feeling of having to fix everything. Your feeling that you have to fix everything is your problem - not all of these people who seemingly need fixing.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thing is, people don't necessarily get to pick weather they leave their house or not. That's why there is a legal system.

I stayed for many years and thought that we had too much comingled to ever split it all. Wrong. It can be done.

You deserve more.