Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Does the recovering alcoholic care about the relationship/the hurt?

Does the recovering alcoholic care about the relationship/the hurt?

Old 07-05-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi SaltHat. I also left an alcoholic husband. I was really really hoping he would "get it"- what I wanted him to get - and that he would stop drinking, go to AA and treat me with love. I was hoping I would be away for a period of time and we would reunite with love and forgiveness and somehow unknot all the tangles in our lives. It was not to be. I am still sad about that. But here on the other side of things, I am popping out- like a chick from a shell. I have friends, good work, new hopes and dreams. When someone mistreats me now, I just move away, and I don't give it a second thought. Before I left, if I was treated rudely, I would wonder what did I do to cause this- must be my fault- what can I do to fix things.

The shift in my attitude didn't happen as soon as I left- a year later I am noticing a big difference. SR and individual counselling has been key to me growing in a positive direction.

So Salthat- I wanted something different - but XAH had to want it too- and I guess he wanted alcohol more than he wanted me. And then I realized what I wanted more than being with XAH was to be with someone who loved me and treated me with love.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Is he really considering what will happen to me in the high odds of relapse?
If he relapses, it has nothing at all to do with you or about you or the marriage. If it were that easy, where all the A had to do was weight the consequences of their choices, we would not really have the need for rehabs or AA meetings or addiction counseling. No one choses to lose his or her job, families, friends, homes, cars, finances, etc. simple for booze.

This is why YOUR own recovery is extremely important.

I left my alcoholic husband, but it's very, very hard. I feel like this is the right decision no matter how much it hurts. But I guess I keep hoping that there is a silver lining and I'm being too pessimistic. That something will show me that he could "get it" and there could really be true healing. I want my family back and it hurts to hell that I won't have it.
Yes it does hurt, it hurts a lot having to walk away from someone we love. And as we say around here, it’s always good to have “hope” but hope is not a plan. As much as it hurts you did what you needed to do for you. Time and observation will tell you all you need to know about him and his sobriety/recovery.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saltHat View Post
I've been reading for a while both in friends and family, newcomers and alcoholics anonymous. As well, I read a number of books and articles on alcoholism. My husband is an alcoholic and drank entirely in secret (not even a glass of wine with dinner). I felt very betrayed by the lies he told me.

When I read books or articles, it's almost always about what we, the loved one, can do to help rebuild the relationship. I don't see many resources from the perspective of the alcoholic.

When I look at the forums and I searched and searched, I don't see alcoholics (in recovery or otherwise) diving into what problems in relationships the alcohol caused. There might be a mention of losing a spouse/partner or children that never talk to them, but not much about why that came to be or how to repair. Then there's the spouse/partner that stayed and everyone seems to say that the partner is a "keeper" without much beyond that on how the loved one might have suffered or be suffering.

When advice is given about dating after entering recovery, it talks about how that might put sobriety in jeopardy either from the stress of relationships or just lack of focus on sobriety. There's advice on how to choose the right person. I don't see comments about not dating until one is stable so they don't hurt someone else. I feel like wow...so the alcoholic is to pick the kind, stable person and many/most will relapse and that person that was so kind and stable is now drawn into crazy town too?

Do alcoholics understand the pain? Is preventing pain in the future part of what is discussed? Is there real discussion on repairing damage? Or is it all on the loved ones to try and reconnect and the alcoholic just focuses on not drinking again and learning to cope with life?

This is just kind of a wondering of mine and I'm curious other thoughts. If any people in recovery are reading, I'd be curious that perspective also.

If you look for treatment recommendations issued by the medical field - you will see that one component of recovery is based on healing the family. There are multiple parts to this. Each person needs to understand what damages have been done, accept it, make peace with it, and then there needs to be teamwork to rebuild the relationship in a way that works for each person.

When my husband was in the 12 step rehab is when I first saw the holes in the recovery process. It was explained to me that my husband needed to work on his recovery, and he could not worry about anything else, and he could not work on fixing our relationship, or worry about my needs. I wasnt even supposed to talk to him about his recovery, or what he was doing because he was supposed to lean on other people in recovery only. I was told one day that seemed to be more than a year later, then maybe we would be able to begin to see if we could make our marriage work. POOEY

He wouldnt stay in that rehab program, and I really cant say I regret his leaving, since he did seek out other treatment. He began therapy instead, and part of the core recovery process was rebuilding relationships within the family, working together, and building a strong support system with friends and family. (And it started within the first couple months).

It takes sitting down and working together to truly see the damage, talk about it, learn to forgive, see both perspectives, heal, and move forward.

I know in AA they have steps and some are to make amends for example, but this is really a step they do for themselves IMO, and it can be done without ever sitting and discussing the damage that others feel has been done. Its based on their own perspective. You either accept this when its given or you dont. Its about their doing inventory and not the outcome they should expect from others.

But I do think the majority of people want to fix relationships, and just dont know how. There is not much guidance unless you begin marriage or family counseling, or couples, families take it upon themselves to try to work it out on their own. But it can be such an emotionally charged topic filled with pain and anger, it often goes wrong. And sometimes it feels taboo to even try, because family is often told they cant ask, its selfish, and stems from being needy or clingy, and "recovery" comes first. In Alanon, its basically a carbon copy of AA, and the focus is only on me, not my partner, or how to mend the damage and rebuild the family.

I feel there is a hole because its not understood that mending families IS part of the recovery process, and it can be started very early. And it cant be done without working together.