Re-started running today!

Old 07-02-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Re-started running today!

[I read once that you shouldn't tell people your goals because once you do, it almost gives you permission to not follow through. Sounds counterintuitive, but they did a study on it, and if you tell people, it's almost a proxy for actually doing it and you are more likely to not achieve your goals.]

That being said, after a 9 month hiatus, I am excited to say that I've restarted a running program. A few weeks ago I got a Fitbit and it's been really motivating for me. So today marks the one year anniversary of when I started a Couch to 5k program. I did pretty well on it, but petered out around September.

This morning I reset my app and started again. I forgot how much I enjoyed running in terms of how empowered it makes you feel. It gets me out of the house, helps me detach from the toxicity at home, and makes me feel if I can do a few steps more, or up my pace a little from one day to the next, I can do anything. And it makes me proud because I'm 65, and I feel very healthy. (It's easy to feel healthy when you're living with someone killing themselves. As an Al-Anon friend once told me, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.")

Just wanted to share my self-care initiative. (And I hope I haven't sabotaged it by telling you guys!). I'm going to sign up for a City of Angels 5k that takes place every September to keep me going.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So good to hear Solomio! I started doing yoga again yesterday!
Old 07-02-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
So good to hear Solomio! I started doing yoga again yesterday!
Awesome, Bekind! We can do this!
Old 07-02-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is wonderful, SoloMio.
I have a fitbit as well, and I have found it helps me to reach my steps goal.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

That's actually the reason I didn't tell anyone close to me I'd quit drinking until I had my 90 days. Same with the weight loss. Telling people IS a jinx for me.

Good for you, Solo! I definitely need to get more exercise--it's the one area in which I'm not taking care of myself as I should (along with failure to floss, lol). And with the soon-to-be assault on my ability to breathe, increasing my lung capacity is going to be critical to my overall well-being.

Go for it!!
Old 07-02-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
That's actually the reason I didn't tell anyone close to me I'd quit drinking until I had my 90 days. Same with the weight loss. Telling people IS a jinx for me.

Good for you, Solo! I definitely need to get more exercise--it's the one area in which I'm not taking care of myself as I should (along with failure to floss, lol). And with the soon-to-be assault on my ability to breathe, increasing my lung capacity is going to be critical to my overall well-being.

Go for it!!
Well, I'm confining my blabbing to you guys, so hopefully I'll follow through.

So glad to hear things are going well and you'll be on the mend soon, Lexie!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Regular exercise helps the mind and body, I believe! Your welcome to join the "Road to Fall 2017" thread, it's all about making goals and getting fit or just seeking inspiration to do so 😀
Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good for you! I recently began to exercise again. Just walking and light jogging, but it makes me feel great!
Old 07-03-2017, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on Week 4 of Couch to 5K. I had iron deficiency anemia and had surgery in May to take care of the "source", so I'm just beginning to really go hard. Today I took up kettlebells again. I forgot how much fun they are, although I'm still afraid that if I'm not careful I'm going to whack somebody with them. But it's fun to see the muscles coming back.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Regular exercise helps the mind and body, I believe! Your welcome to join the "Road to Fall 2017" thread, it's all about making goals and getting fit or just seeking inspiration to do so 😀
Thanks! I'll check it out!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you!!!

I'm a little jealous...I had worked up to six miles two or three times a week and then hurt my hip running sideways on the steep hill at our temporary apartment. I am forcing myself to take a couple of weeks off because I exacerbated it trying to restart too quickly.

I miss the stress relief! Enjoy! And at age 59...lets just say I maybe enjoy it a little more than I should when I blow past twenty-somethings moseying down the sidewalk with their Big Gulps and cigarettes.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thats awesome Solo! I started my fitness "journey" about 4 months ago myself when I lost my job and things with Abf were getting worse. I just knew I needed strength even if it came in the physical form. Oddly enough, watching my body change and become stronger and seeing myself do things I never thought I could, has made my mind stronger. Not only that, but I am now able to have something for my very own. Something that nobody can take from me....perhaps it feels like a reclaiming of the self. Taking the body back and treating it well from all the abuse it's endured.

I am happy you have found and rediscovered something that's always been within you. Fitness is the one thing you will never get a negative return on.

congrats and keep it going!!!

PS: I have also found that my fitness is the one thing that I can put first before the demands of others. I get asked by Abf by my family by friends...etc. to do things for them and I always put myself second. Now it's all about "I will see if I have time AFTER the gym!"
Old 07-06-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That's great! A wise psychiatrist once told me that she believed resilience could be defined as an individual's capacity to grow as a person (through learning new things, exploring creativity, or making positive changes in one's life) even in the midst of adverse circumstances over which that individual has no control. So you sound very resilient!
Old 07-06-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That is great, Solo. Running has been very therapeutic for me in my sobriety. I too track my fitness via a wearable, like fitbit, and that helps me push harder to measure my improvements, which is key because I know if I were to drink that would all go out the window.

Keep it up!
Old 07-07-2017, 03:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Contradictory studies

There are also studies that show the exact opposite: https://www.fastcompany.com/3047432/...ish-your-goals

So I guess it just shows we're all different and what works for one may not work for another :-)

Congrats on your progress!!

Last edited by TheHopeful; 07-07-2017 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Broken link
Old 07-07-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheHopeful View Post
There are also studies that show the exact opposite: https://www.fastcompany.com/3047432/...ish-your-goals

So I guess it just shows we're all different and what works for one may not work for another :-)

Congrats on your progress!!
Yeah, I can see both sides. Thanks for the article. So I'm hedging my bets by keeping quiet about it IRL, but telling you guys!

I actually finished the Week 1 Couch to 5k yesterday.

I have to say I LOVE my Fitbit!! It is so encouraging. Do you believe that when I started wearing it, just a little over 2 weeks ago, my resting heart rate was 90 and ALREADY it's down to 79!! When you see this kind of progress so quickly and the data is right there in your face, it's so motivating.

Oh, and I did sign up for the September City of Angels 5k run. It's an organization that guides people to addiction treatment. Wish me luck! I'm hoping I don't have any competition in the 60+ class
Old 07-07-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good on ya Solomio for keeping at it.

I've done yoga 5 out of six days of July. Yesterday I did my first run: on trail, super slow and only 10 min but I did it.

I'm 54 so love reading about folks older than me going at it.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
And at age 59...lets just say I maybe enjoy it a little more than I should when I blow past twenty-somethings moseying down the sidewalk with their Big Gulps and cigarettes.
Aries, I have passed many, many MEN younger than me at races, and I am old, fat and slow! I know the feeling of which you speak.

I have been trying to get a good solid "re-start" myself since late March, for cripes sake, and I keep getting sidetracked after a week or two. Well, I guess all that matters is that I "re-start" one more time than I get sidetracked, right?

Solo, good for you. Keep on going, take it easy enough to enjoy it and to stay uninjured.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This woman is my inspiration. Not saying that I will EVER run ONE marathon, never mind one on every continent, but I'm inspired by the fact that she didn't even start running until she was 64.

Concord woman who ran herself into Guinness record book dies at age 92 | Charlotte Observer
Old 07-07-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Drafting off of Solomio I got in some more yoga and a bit of a run. Got lost on the run so the run had a long walk added to it which was fine.