Lexie's No-Freakout Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Oh, and it's quite rude of you all to be eating cheesecake in front of me. I'm on a strictly high-protein diet till PET scan tomorrow (no carbs/sweets). At the very least, you better save me a piece!
WTH!?!?!?!
i was so darned concerned with gettin a backseat on the bus so i can lick the window in private i missed the cheesecake!?!?!?

good to read everythings moving ahead and ya have a doc that rocks!

so, what flavor of that barium suff did ya partake in?
Old 06-27-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
He said they COULD do it on Monday and I asked how long if we wait till after the holiday.

typical alcoholic, we'll <<fill in the blank>> AFTER the holiday!!! LOL
Heh, yeah. It's just that I was looking forward to the holiday not for the fireworks, but for the fact that I could also take a vacation day on Monday and have four days to clean up my house and do other things I wanna have done before the surgery, just because I won't be feeling up to it right after. If we do it on the 10th, I might miss ONE concert the following week (though I'll see how I feel--maybe I'll be up to it a week later)--Rod Stewart/Cyndi Lauper. Which would be fun, but I saw Rod back when I was in HS. So as much as I'd like to go, it wouldn't be that big a deal if I miss it.

Oh, and guess what--two nurses complimented my Fluevogs. One, particularly, who saw them up close while I was on the exam table, was very taken with them.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
WTH!?!?!?!
i was so darned concerned with gettin a backseat on the bus so i can lick the window in private i missed the cheesecake!?!?!?

good to read everythings moving ahead and ya have a doc that rocks!

so, what flavor of that barium suff did ya partake in?
I'm not sure I'll be drinking barium. I will be having an IV infusion. I think the barium might be a slightly different type of scan. I just looked it up and the article said you might have a barium drink, an iodine drink, or an IV--all used for contrast. Maybe it depends on what it's looking for and where? Not sure.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Maybe it depends on what it's looking for and where? Not sure.

ya know, that could be it. i had to drink that wonderful barium and get some really expensive iv shot thing to looks for melanoma tumors and crap.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Good luck Lexie! We will miss you! <3
Old 06-27-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

May you be the most boring and least medically interesting patient on the ward.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

This is Paskha, a Russian Cheesecake...I think Puzzled Heart had something to do with this. Who's got the forks?
Geez louise. I go away for a couple hours and I MISSED THE CHEESECAKE???!!!! Hopefully there isn't a Trojan Horse tucked inside there.

The grammar link didn't work. I actually took three years of Russian in college but I don't remember much--I CAN sing "The Old Gray Mare Ain't What She Used To Be" in Russian
I watched the Regina Spektor video. I was very excited when I understood one sentence - "I love cold borscht." At least that's what I thought she said. I get very excited when I think I understand something without subtitles. I watch "The Americans" in the hope that I'll spontaneously remember the lousy Russian I once had. Small things make me happy.

I can sing a song about a cabbage and a song about the Patriotic War of 1812. I suspect that you would much prefer Ann's сheesecake instead.

Basically the grammar link said to use the word "товарка" but it is a very antiquated word. There was some chit chat about using the word "подруга" but that just seems wrong.

Желаю удачи завтра! (Good luck tomorrow!)
Old 06-27-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Get well soon!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Good luck lexie!
Old 06-27-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
A work in progress

товарка, да, конечно. But "подруга" sounds familiar. Not exactly the same connotation, but probably is the word you'd use today. I love the way the consonants run together in Russian. I never did get the hang of the case endings, though. I'm sure it would come more easily to a speaker of German or other language with declension.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:19 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Old 06-28-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Lexie, I second that. May this be the most run of the mill, no action, quickly healing surgery ever!

You are in my heart friend!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thoughts and prayers are with you, Lexie!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:53 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

All great news!!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, for tomsteve, I DID have the barium drink. I think it was plain vanilla, it wasn't unpleasant tasting but not especially memorable/identifiable. I just liked the fact that all it made me do is glow in the dark--the last time they made me drink something was for the colonoscopy a couple of years ago, and the results of that were YUCK, to say the least.

The scan wasn't bad, and my doctor said he'd call with the results when he gets them later today.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:14 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Glad to read your great update & sending continued prayers!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

ok now for some Colonoscopy Humor! (hey, you brought it up!)

From Dave Barry, columnist and crazy funny guy:

https://bussorah.wordpress.com/2011/...s-colonoscopy/
Old 06-28-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

When I was doing medical transcription, the radiology transcriptionists were a whole separate pool from us "general" MTs. There had to be a at least a couple of them available 24/7 b/c any kind of imaging report was automatically a STAT with a turnaround time of an hour or less (back then, the turnaround time for standard transcription could be a week).

After voice recognition software, the whole transcription world changed and EVERYTHING was getting turned around much, much faster. Imaging reports were being turned around almost instantly, plus imaging was now digital. This meant the doc could pull up on his monitor both the image and the report of the read by the radiology guy just about as soon as the rad guy dictated his read.

And that all amounts to Lexie going for her scan and having the doc say "I'll call you later today and let you know what we've got here", something that couldn't have happened in the not-so-distant past.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
ok now for some Colonoscopy Humor! (hey, you brought it up!)
Oh, I have a contribution here, haven't thought about this since I was a newly-minted transcriptionist and heard it on a transcription chat board!

Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Too funny!

I had a combined colonoscopy and gastroscopy recently (everything checked out fine although that's something I would prefer not to do again), but the sedative did not actually sedate me. It dulled the pain to discomfort but didn't put me out. Quite the contrary:

Sasha: What are you looking at? Can I see the screen? Wow, is that the duodenum? What's the pink thing over there?

Gastroenterologist to nurse: How much fentanyl did you give her?

Sasha: This is really neat! Ouch, it's pinching on the right-hand side. Wow, I'm like literally staring up my own butt!

Nurse: Five migs.

Sasha: Slow down, I didn't get to see that. So does this go all the way through the small intestine? What am I looking at now? Could you move the screen a little?

Gastroenterologist: Could you PLEASE give her some more? She keeps talking.

Sasha: Is that the gallbladder? Everything looks good to me, does it look that way to you? Wow, I am totally staring up my a**!

Gastroenterologist: More fentanyl NOW.