Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Another laugh-or-cry moment - alcoholics doing that stuff they do

Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My ex AH is responsible for a lot of quack-like behavior:

I got a message from his second ex-wife (X2) a couple of days ago. X2 wanted to know if I had seen ex and if so what sort of shape he was in.

Why? Because her real estate agent (who is selling the former marital home of ex and X2) was worried about him.

What on earth does the realtor have to do with anything? Well, apparently the realtor was acting as his sponsor in a 12-step group.

Wait, isn't it a conflict of interest if they're also doing business together? Well, yes it is but ex confided in the realtor about his "problems" and asked for help, and told the realtor to keep it a secret from X2.

Okay, so why is the realtor worried? Well, ex apparently stopped showing up for the 12-step group after he got his 30 day chip, claiming to be sick but probably actually drunk.

Why is this my problem or X2's problem? It isn't really ...

So we have:

1. Ex finding a new source of emotional support and sympathy, as the well has pretty much run dry with me and X2 and most of his friends. The realtor is just the latest in a long series.
2. Ex drawing this new person into a confidential relationship around his secrets ("I need to confide in someone ... I'm having a really rough time ... I think I really need a friend...").
3. Ex triangulating relationships around secrets (you and me have a secret, but you can't tell a third party. The two of us against him/her).
4. Ex committing to a recovery program but once again blowing it off after he's gotten the validation and approval he wants (the 30-day chip, in this case).
5. Ex having no sense of appropriate boundaries (your real estate agent is there to sell your house - he's not your buddy or your friend or your personal support system).

I have no idea why ex blew off the realtor's 12-step group and have no intention of trying to find out. I'm just noting patterns here. Once I become attuned to these patterns, I keep seeing them.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't know that I'd necessarily draw the same conclusions you have, but either way, you can be thankful none of it is your problem. I'm sure the realtor is legitimately concerned about him, and anyone who works with other alcoholics knows the score. The majority of people you start off helping are likely to drink again. It goes with the territory. You keep helping because a certain number of people really ARE ready and willing. Not sure it's a conflict of interest--I don't see how she stands to be harmed by the fact that they're working together.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the 12th Step says:

Having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

this means outside of meetings, in our daily lives, at our jobs, in the grocery store. so a real estate agent could carry the message to another suffering alcoholic who he happened to meet in the course of his job.

no conflict there. but involving the EX wife, asking HER how the A is doing, to me that crosses a line. that is inappropriate, IMHO. that violates anonymity and the unspoken and unwritten rule about confidentiality.

for 2nd ex to then turn around call you.....well now we're getting a little.....weird.

perhaps try not to sleuth out the sinister underpinnings of everything he does. keep it simple.

he's an alcoholic.
he isn't done drinking.
he isn't changing.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Going out on a limb here, but maybe ex2 was reaching out to you, and this was a reason to do so.
You had mentioned recently that you and she were less at odds these days.
Just a thought.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

jeez
Old 06-17-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sasha....wise of you to stay off that train to Krazy Town.....
Old 06-18-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

+1 on trying to figure out what he does.

Yesterday I was in tears - this is Father's Day weekend, DS got dad a sweet framed picture trio of two of them. I kept wondering how come XAH went from being dedicated attached father to someone who cannot manager to dedicate a whole weekend to his son twice a month.

And then I remembered that while he may be sober, he is still a self absorbed addict.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Going out on a limb here, but maybe ex2 was reaching out to you, and this was a reason to do so.
You had mentioned recently that you and she were less at odds these days.
Just a thought.
^^^^ I think that was probably what's going on. We actually get along pretty well. She's still trying to "help" him and worries about how he's doing, I've given up on that, but have some sympathy for her situation.

For the person who mentioned the 12th step - I hadn't thought of that explanation. I would find it strange to take someone with whom I had a contractual business relationship and personally sponsor them in recovery from addiction, but then I"m not in AA so I don't know what's typical.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Personally, I would keep business out of my AA and Al-Anon work, but that's me.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ex seems to have a lot of issues going on, and I think expecting him to make bad choices and illogical decisions is to be expected. I can see why the ex2 contacted you however, she probably wanted to get your take on it. Its weird. I would be way more concerned with a Sponsor who is getting involved in a business transaction where he is going to make a profit himself & where he is both guiding the sale / sale price of a home, and basically mentoring, and advising his sponsee. Things like this just reinforce my concerns over unhealthy situations with peer mentoring especially when someone is clearly unstable and in emotional chaos.

I hope you are free of this craziness soon.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My head was spinning just reading it.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Something I had to learn saying: "It's none of my business". It's surprising how much stuff isn't my business. That, and to stop offering unsolicited advice. BTW, I don't think it's a conflict of interest for the realtor to sponsor a client.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Something I had to learn saying: "It's none of my business". It's surprising how much stuff isn't my business. That, and to stop offering unsolicited advice. BTW, I don't think it's a conflict of interest for the realtor to sponsor a client.
I agree it's none of my business, and that's basically what I said to X2 - I don't know what's going on with ex and am not going to expend effort trying to find out. I sympathize with her because she's still on some level hoping that he can be fixed or will change, but the only reason I myself have any contact with ex is because we have a daughter together.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Uggh. Glad you're stepping out of it. Makes me think of the saying "Not my circus. Not my monkeys."