Two to Tango

Old 06-09-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smarie78 View Post
Anvil - what a wonderful story! you have the greatest analogies.

Thanks small - okay now this got me thinking whether are you typically fearless with other things?? Skydiving sounds pretty scary to me! I ask because you made me ponder my own fears. In many ways I have been called fearless by others, but the one place I have the greatest fear and cowardice is toward other people. Not neccesarily actions (well, maybe except sky diving! ugh...and flying lol so ok maybe I am cowardice all around!)
not sure iffen im posting this right,but will smith has a pretty good speach on facing fears and how he experienced it skydiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG-F_rRVdLc">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG-F_rRVdLc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
Old 06-09-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

let's help a guy out

how's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ-O3WEMtAE
Old 06-09-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting! Love this!!!! ^^^
Watching again tonight. Not a great evening and can use some courage to face that fear!
Old 06-10-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smarie78 View Post
In many ways I have been called fearless by others, but the one place I have the greatest fear and cowardice is toward other people.
This is similar for me and it helped me to pinpoint my fear. What exactly are you afraid of? Life has taught you this fear, so it's a logical protective mechanism, but we all know that fears ultimately work against us. So you're not wrong to have fears, but it might help for you to write out exactly what you're working with. When it comes to other people, what exactly are you afraid of?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
under new management

I have lived a fear-based life for my whole life. Afraid of people, places, things.

My new philosophy is to say YES instead of the usual automatic no.

I have had some wonderful experiences because of my YES, one being a solo trip to a place I have never been before (Seattle, loved it!). I had never stayed in a hotel alone, much less landed in a strange city for a completely solo vacation! It is one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

The more I have said YES to the positive things, the less afraid I feel of life.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

back when my daughter took dance classes, the studio offered adult classes as well. she was old enough to be in the class with us. it was super fun. as much as i love to dance, turns out choreography was my nemesis. and tap is a lot harder than it looks!

anyways, the studio did two recitals a year. one around dad's day and the other at christmas time. lemme tell you it's one thing to sew sequins on a tutu and get your KID all done up for a recital and quite another when YOU are a performer! standing in the wings waiting for our turn, my mind went blank. what was our song? how did it start? what was i supposed to do once i went out on stage????

did i dance well? not so much. did i hit all my marks? no idea. but dammit i have performed on stage at the Fifth Avenue Theatre in Seattle in SPANDEX. just can't imagine much else life could throw at me that was more scary or embarrassing!!!! bring it on!!!
Old 06-10-2017, 08:49 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tap is ridiculously hard!!
Old 06-11-2017, 09:05 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

If I'd just gone to AA meetings and not got a sponsor and worked the steps I wouldn't have made any progress. If I'd still been sober I certainly wouldn't have been sane. Why not try doing what you know you should do instead of saying what spyou shouldn't do but then doing it anyway. If you try it just for a few months and your emotional life is still unmanageable you can always go back to being a landing strip. Like you say, we can be led to a river full of water, but if we resist taking that drink it does us no good at all.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery, whenever you decide that you want it. BB

'Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.' Mahatma Ghandi