Slip, Relapse, Does it matter?

Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by darlacfp View Post
And in the middle of his week of having 4 drinks, he actually saw his therapist and they decided he was doing so well he only needs to come once a month now.
Because he is lying to them. Or, he's lying to you about what they actually said. I say this because I told my parents, who were paying for my psych and meds, different dates and times so I could use their money (and not go or get the meds)....to drink.

Rigorous honesty is what AA calls the type of truth-telling and truth-living we must do to stay sober. He is committing both overt and covert lies, lies of omission and commission, whatever kinds there are to do.

The bottom line question is: what do YOU want?

You can only control you and your choices - not his, obviously. Is a life of questioning, probable ongoing deceit if he never really wants to quit, emotional turmoil, etc - what you want?

Good luck to you. Take care of YOU. Then it is easier to make the right, best decisions.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:26 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post

You can only control you and your choices - not his, obviously. Is a life of questioning, probable ongoing deceit if he never really wants to quit, emotional turmoil, etc - what you want?
That is the question... thank you for boiling it down to that. Because even when he was sober (or so he said) I didn't feel completely sure of the truth and certainly not now that he did drink and hide it again, after three years of insisting his urge and all temptation was gone. I need to decide if that's what I want in my life for good. I was waiting for that questioning to stop but now I know it will always be there in the background.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thousandwords53 View Post
Thank you, yes.
I need to try and decipher what I am exactly afraid of. .. How much of my fear is self doubt alone... I have a therapy appointment today. Perfect timing
Hope therapy was helpful thousandwords...