Just a minor complaint about drunk ex at kid events

Old 06-01-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Right, DTs are a different animal--potentially life-threatening. Few alcoholics ever get those.
Aha, thanks for the clarification. I thought "shakes" and "DTs" were one and the same.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
Aha, thanks for the clarification. I thought "shakes" and "DTs" were one and the same.
I think it's a tendency to confuse the "tremens" in delirium tremens with "tremors." Tremors are relatively common and not dangerous in/of themselves (though any signs of withdrawal indicate the physical dependency is progressing). DTs involve hallucinations, potentially seizures, etc. It's possible to die from DTs.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If he were honestly trying to get better, pushing himself to stick with a program and stay off the booze, even when it hurt, I would want to help.

hmmm, what does that mean exactly? help HOW?
Old 06-01-2017, 02:13 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
If he were honestly trying to get better, pushing himself to stick with a program and stay off the booze, even when it hurt, I would want to help.

hmmm, what does that mean exactly? help HOW?
Ask how I could help. Verbally express encouragement and support. Tell him that I think he's on a good path. All the stuff that I would do for a friend who was trying and struggling, but will not do for an alcoholic ex-husband who shows no sign that he really grasps how much damage his drinking is doing or that he is willing to stop drinking, despite having access to a whole world of recovery resources.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
Ask how I could help. Verbally express encouragement and support. Tell him that I think he's on a good path. All the stuff that I would do for a friend who was trying and struggling, but will not do for an alcoholic ex-husband who shows no sign that he really grasps how much damage his drinking is doing or that he is willing to stop drinking, despite having access to a whole world of recovery resources.
^^^^ Makes total sense to me Sasha. Unfortunately doesn't sound like he is any where near willing to stop.

Courage and divine grace to you lady!