Don't you love it when...

Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kiwidub View Post
Most of the men you are all describing here sound like narcissists and the behaviour sounds like gas lighting. My mother is a flaming narcissist, so I have some experience here.
I agree with the narcissist suspicions.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by Kiwidub View Post
..... sounds like gas lighting.
Explain that term. I heard of it, but not sure what it means here. I always thought it meant trying to make the victim feel like they are going crazy.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by steve-in-kville View Post
I always thought it meant trying to make the victim feel like they are going crazy.
Yes, that's what it means. Also known as "alternative facts."
Old 05-29-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Gaslighting: trying to convince someone that they are wrong about something that they have observed to be true. E.g.

Person 1: You know I really love only you.
Person 2: But I've seen the texts you sent your old girlfriend!
Person 1: You really need to work on your jealousy issues. I just TOLD you that you're the only person I love. You've obviously got a problem.

Person 1: I asked you to cut down on your drinking and you said you would, but today I find all these empties buried in the trash.
Person 2: Why are you assuming it must be me that drank them all? You're so negative and judgmental. I TOLD you I was going to drink less, if you don't trust me, you're the one with the real problem.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thousandwords53 View Post
He has a terrible boundary habit of constantly waking me up when he's awake. Like in the mornings, he leaves an hour or two before my alarm goes off. He does not make an effort to get ready quietly while the rest of us sleep and he will even start conversations with me as I'm asleep so I wake up having to answer questions in a confused state.

What he did here was:
Deflect and blame me
Guilt me
Storm off and leave
Resulting in me definitely not getting 30 minutes more of needed sleep because he left the house so I am the only parent.

Am I way off base here?
I am journaling my initial gut reaction as I am trusting it more.
Thank you all.
Abf does this all the time to me. He gets up at 430 and I don't get up for another 3 hours and he doesn't particularly seem to go through much to make sure he doesn't wake me (lights on, slamming microwave door like you would at a normal hour). Before he leaves he sits by the bed to say goodbye or will start a conversation and there have even been times it's to start a fight (!) and there I am practically unconscious and somehow I'm wrong because I don't care - never mind I'm literally half asleep. And yes, also wakes me to get romantic or tell me he's "aroused" - remember, the mentality of an alcoholic is selfishness when not in recovery, and childlike. Your AH sounds just that way. As long as you keep YOUR boundaries, it won't matter if he has any or not.