New here..AH just got out of treatment and drinking already

Old 06-06-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by imaj79 View Post
FallenAngelina - There is only one beginner group in my town that is at a time of day that I am able to attend and they said that we were supposed to attend the 6 weeks of the beginner class before moving on to a different class.
To add to berrybean's post, I'll say that the meetings aren't classes and the "6 beginner meetings" thing is only a recommendation, not a prerequisite. I went to one beginner meeting, got the point and moved on to finding regular meetings so that I could find the right one(s) for me to begin my program. I understand the "6 beginner meetings" recommendation to be there for those of us who might feel overwhelmed, lost and unable to speak in larger groups. It's a helpful place to start, but not essential - and certainly not something that should stop you from starting all together.

My A also has no intentions for recovery and has never been to an AA meeting in 40 years of drinking. He's a different animal than someone who is in and out of recovery/rehab, but loving an alcoholic is loving an alcoholic - and that is the one and only requirement of Al-Anon.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by imaj79 View Post
So today, I flat-out asked him if he wanted to stop drinking. He said yes and then he said well I want to cut back and he said he didn't think he could ever totally quit. He said he didn't want to go back to how much he used to drink because he is feeling better . But I can't help but feel that it will only be a matter of time until that happens again. So now I have that nice tidbit to chew on. I told him that I was very worried about his liver and he said that he is not worried about it....uggg.
Sounds like my AH. He's trying to make bargains with himself. I'd have the same conversations with my AH as well. He'd talk about how much better he felt when he wasn't drinking then not 2 hours later, he'd be pouring himself a drink.

Not worried about his liver? That's just denial.

It's a crazy cycle. You will never be able to talk sense into him. I've tried (we've all tried) and you'll just get exhausted of having the same conversations over & over & over & over. . . . .

Hugs to you.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I haven't been back to update, but long story short, nothing much has changed. There have been good days and bad days. Today is a bad day and I just feel so lost. Today feels like deja vu from before he went into treatment. Today is one of those days where I'm like yep I'm done, but I just feel so spineless and I don't even know how to go there with a child and a mortgage and a home that is really not in selling shape and bills, and dogs....etc. I don't know where I am going with this, guess I just needed to vent.
On a better note I opened up to a friend today that is a recovering A and it made me feel a lot better.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't even know how to go there with a child and a mortgage and a home that is really not in selling shape and bills, and dogs

so then do some footwork, research, planning. knowledge is power. planning is power. you are NOT spineless, nor helpless.....you just need a machete and someone to point you towards true north so you can hack your way out of the jungle.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
I don't even know how to go there with a child and a mortgage and a home that is really not in selling shape and bills, and dogs

so then do some footwork, research, planning. knowledge is power. planning is power. you are NOT spineless, nor helpless.....you just need a machete and someone to point you towards true north so you can hack your way out of the jungle.
Yup, the situation won't improve if you keep waiting. The biggest projects can be broken down into smaller bites. Step one would be to get some legal advice.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Legal advice is a good idea. You are feeling overwhelmed because you are doing everything, with little or no help from your partner.
You can change this. Not today, or tomorrow, but you can.
Get some advice, just put one foot in front of the other.
You do not have to live like this.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yes, legal advise! Most attorneys will give you legal consult for free. Go speak to someone who can at least tell you what you would need to do/expect. It will help you to feel a bit more in control. I stayed for YEARS. I thought our lives were so entangled with kids and finances it was not even possible to leave. I was wrong.

Big hugs.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I think I just need to bite the bullet and seek some professional help.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I don't even know how to go there with a child and a mortgage and a home that is really not in selling shape and bills, and dogs....etc.

OK when I decied I was done I had an animal rescue with 40 rabbits in my garden, 8 cats, a dog, 12 guinea pigs and a half finished house that needed work I couldn't do, 8 kids at home, 4 of whom were on the cusp of going to uni and one doing training. I had no job outside the home, no money and nowhere to go.

I made a plan and 3 years on am divorced, in a flat with my two youngest sons. 3 cats ( my older kids took the rest and ditto the piggies) my dog is with a good friend and I see him all the time. My older adult kids got a house together and are at uni or finished now. The rescue animals all got adopted and the house sold after I got workmen in to do the bits I couldn't.

We are happy...so happy. At the time I seriously doubted how it would all come together but it did. You can do it. Yes we've less money but you can't buy peace and great memories we are building.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybird579 View Post
I don't even know how to go there with a child and a mortgage and a home that is really not in selling shape and bills, and dogs....etc.

OK when I decied I was done I had an animal rescue with 40 rabbits in my garden, 8 cats, a dog, 12 guinea pigs and a half finished house that needed work I couldn't do, 8 kids at home, 4 of whom were on the cusp of going to uni and one doing training. I had no job outside the home, no money and nowhere to go.

I made a plan and 3 years on am divorced, in a flat with my two youngest sons. 3 cats ( my older kids took the rest and ditto the piggies) my dog is with a good friend and I see him all the time. My older adult kids got a house together and are at uni or finished now. The rescue animals all got adopted and the house sold after I got workmen in to do the bits I couldn't.

We are happy...so happy. At the time I seriously doubted how it would all come together but it did. You can do it. Yes we've less money but you can't buy peace and great memories we are building.
Thanks Ladybird579, I do realize that people do it all the time and it was super helpful to hear your story. I appreciate it. It is all just so overwhelming and my emotions seem change on a dime right now.....
Old 06-07-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybird579 View Post

Really inspiring!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

one time one of our dogs had some serious intestinal issues that we were not aware of.....he managed to get himself OUT of the pen, made it to the back of the house, trying to get down the stairs - as far away as he could get. BUT his GI tract didn't hold out and there was a lengthy trail of canine diarrhea thru my living and down the back CARPETED stairs.

awesome home coming.

did i WANT to deal with the fecal matter covering what seemed like a mile of my carpet?

NO.

did i want to get soapy water and cloths and get on my hands and knees and start scrubbing up dog sh!t?

NO.

but what was my choice? leave it ? live WITH it? incorporate it into my normal?

NO.

we often do what we HAVE to do, rarely what we WANT to do, or WISH we could. it's part of being a grown up.