Divorce

Old 05-17-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Divorce

I was served with a separation agreement. I thought we were going to try and look out for each other in this process, but as written the AH keeps anything of value and leaves me saddled with credit card debt and not being able to pay the bills. I've been praying to my higher power and asking for guidance on how to cope. I'm afraid I'm going to be filled with hate after this process- is there anything that can be done to lessen the anxiety and worry and to keep from polluting myself with these feelings?
Old 05-17-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

get an appointment with an attorney??
Old 05-17-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, first things first.

If you've been served with papers, you need a lawyer to explain what it all means and what your options are. Once you know that, you can decide how you want to respond.

You can't just sit on something like this, because if you fail to file a response you won't have a leg to stand on, legally. So find out what's what and then you can figure out what you want to do.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've got an appointment- this has just been such an eye opener-
Old 05-17-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There's a difference between being filled with hate and acting in self-defense when you're being attacked.

If you have enough assets you could choose to go passive and let him have whatever he wants, that's a choice. But if this is going to kick your finances in the teeth, you have to fight back and you can process it later.

An amicable divorce is a rare bird. Sounds like that's what you agreed upon...but now he's reneged.

The high road is nice in theory...but it's incredibly expensive real estate.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just because he asked for something doesn't mean he'll get it, and it doesn't mean it will necessarily be a horrible, drawn-out and expensive process. It's not unusual for the first person to file to ask for way more than they are likely to get. So don't get ahead of yourself or let your imagination run away with you.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
There's a difference between being filled with hate and acting in self-defense when you're being attacked.

If you have enough assets you could choose to go passive and let him have whatever he wants, that's a choice. But if this is going to kick your finances in the teeth, you have to fight back and you can process it later.

An amicable divorce is a rare bird. Sounds like that's what you agreed upon...but now he's reneged.

The high road is nice in theory...but it's incredibly expensive real estate.
Totally agree with this line of thought.

I was married once. Non alcoholic. I retired young. She resented it. She filed. Asking for all of everything and leaving me with all the debt. She hired the best atty in the county.

Drug it out for 3 years. In the end she got nothing but what she could load in a UHaul trailer in 24 hours.

She got like a couch and etc furniture. Nothing else. Left owing her atty and everyone else money. Including the IRS.

It was still very expensive for me, but NOTHING like it could have been.

Chin up. If they are asking for it all, they are gonna have a tough time getting it. If you contest it the courts will eventually sort out who gets what.