"Goddesses Never Age", book recommendation

Old 05-16-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up "Goddesses Never Age", book recommendation

I was already a fan of the author of this book, Christiane Northrup, MD. Her book "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" has been a staple in my personal self-care library for many, many years. But last week after I listened to her podcast via the Hay House Summit I jumped online & immediately ordered her more recent update, "Goddesses Never Age".

I've only spot-read sections as I've had time since it arrived before the weekend, but I can already tell you that this is a PHENOMENAL BOOK every woman should make time to read. She outlines self-care practices & information in a way that impacts every part of a woman's world.

So many of her points were things I've already been using in my recovery process so this unexpected validation was beautiful to me personally. Even in the little reading I've done, I've seen her weave so many familiar references like "not my monkey, not my circus" right alongside medical "advice".

Her career is fascinating to me because while she started in the hard & fast world of logic as an OBGyn, her work now speaks to finding a greater balance with mind, body AND soul.

If you are interested, her podcast is still available for about a week online. (requires registering for the free summit) Otherwise, I cannot recommend this book highly enough!
Old 05-16-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

FS, I have a copy of "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" that my mom bought me many years ago. At the time, I didn't get a lot of what she talked about. I've been re-reading parts of it in recent years and it makes a lot more sense to me these days.

Thanks for the recommendation.

ETA: HA!! My library system DOES have that one, and there is not even a waiting list! I put it on hold, should be able to pick it up in a couple of days.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I ordered it - sound like something I need to read right now - thanks!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Picked up the book at my library on Friday, haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet, had another to finish first (trying to end my habit of having 4 or 5 books going at once and not being able to fully focus on any one of them!)

Looking forward to it, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It's probably a terrific book--I trust your taste and judgment. I just have to get over the off-putting (for me) title. When I went on my trip to Morocco a couple of years ago, the most utterly annoying person in this group insisted on addressing us as "Goddesses" the entire time. I even told her at one point to knock it off. If she had been likable I probably could have tolerated it, but with her, it was one more nail scratching on the chalkboard--the only sour spot in an otherwise fantastic trip.

I don't like to think of myself as a "goddess"--it just doesn't ring true to me. So at some point maybe I'll get over my mental hurdle with it and just pick up the damn book. If you shouldn't judge one by its cover, maybe the same is true of titles.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, I agree. The title would have put me off if I didn't already believe the author has a lot to offer. The flowery language is definitely the one thing that I struggle with in her more recent writings, but the overall content is still valuable.

There is only a day or so left, but maybe try the podcast (although it's a much different, specific topic by comparison to this particular book) to see if you like the author's general message before committing to the book?
Old 05-22-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks for the suggestion! I will check it out.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FireSprite, thanks so much for recommending this book! Like Lexie, I would probably not have checked into it on my own just b/c of the title, even though I know some of the author's other work and found it really worthwhile. This is at least as good as "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom", IMHO.

I've read a good portion of it so far and have made some tweaks to my regimen of supplements based on her suggestions. And so much else that she says is really ringing true to me, either confirming something that I've noticed or giving me an idea about what direction to point next.

Thanks again!