New - mom of newborn and feel hopeless

Old 05-17-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Lilro View Post
Oh and sorry... I spelled decisions incorrectly, lol. No judgement! It's early!!
You mean judgment? Sorry, we were just talking about me and my compulsive editing.

El, you and your husband are both responding in typical ways to the realization that the drinking is creating real problems. It's absolutely normal (and whether it's acceptable to you is a different story) for an alcoholic's initial response to be to try to "control it." I did that for four years after admitting I had a "problem" before I was willing to quit drinking for good. And that's actually not a very long time, if you look at the universe of alcoholics out there. Some keep it up for decades and some never get to the point of quitting.

And even though it may look/seem to you (and to him) like cutting back to a few beers is "progress"--it actually doesn't stop the progression of alcoholism (which will progress no matter what as long as the alcoholic continues to drink).

That's why we are suggesting you learn about alcoholism. So you know what you are dealing with. And it's entirely up to you how long you are willing to wait for him to "get it." Just be aware that controlling/moderating his drinking will not work over the long term if he's crossed that line into alcoholism.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
You mean judgment? Sorry, we were just talking about me and my compulsive editing.

Theiyr're will be misspeltin is sum of my commentses.

so theiyr're.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Lexie!! Bwahahahaha.. I give up!
Old 05-17-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Lilro View Post
Lexie!! Bwahahahaha.. I give up!
When you're a lawyer, and have been typing the word "judgment" 20 times a day for 20 years, it tends to be one of those words you don't even think about. If you're a normal person, that extra e just seems to BELONG there.