Your experiences on anti-depressants / anti-anxiety meds

Old 05-12-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I just started Trintellix and have been feeling itchy this week. Thanks for posting this, I did not even think to tie the two together.
I reduced my dose for a couple of weeks and the itchiness mostly resolved. It shows up occasionally but it is mild and a non issue for me.

Overall, I am really happy with this AD.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've had really good experiences with antidepressants. They're a case of "your mileage may vary": for some people (like me), they make a huge difference; for others they do nothing or they generate foggy and agitated/lethargic responses.

If you've just started and you're feeling crappy, I would encourage you to persist for a few weeks, BUT FIRST check with your doctor to be sure that what you're experiencing is within the range of normal initiation side effects and not something more serious. Also, be willing to switch things up - if one drug doesn't work, another one might, and despite what doctors might tell you, no one really know why one works and another doesn't. If they're working right, you won't feel "high" or "drugged" or ridiculously happy, you'll just feel - steady.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Casseopia View Post
Hello all,

I wondered if you had any experience with anti-anxiety / anti-depression meds that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I was put on 50mg Sertraline (I believe it's also called Zoloft) by my doctor and started yesterday.

I spent the afternoon in a hazy fog, really tired and spaced out.

This morning and this afternoon, while on my daily dog walks, I was totally and utterly fizzing with adrenaline and anxiety. And that does not normally happen on dog walks where I usually feel safe and happy.

I do understand that anxiety can temporarily worsen on these types of meds but this feeling right now is absolutely horrible. I was on the verge, earlier, of asking my friend to have my dog for a couple of weeks - but I realised I would almost certainly not leave the house in two weeks which would make things much worse.

I want to get better as this anxiety has become a nightmare to live with. If I knew that there was a strong chance it would improve after a while, I would have to just grit my teeth and breathe through the initial stages.

What are your experiences?
Zoloft didn't help me and I was always instructed to take my anti-D's at night to prevent these side effects best I could. Each doctor is different, Do know it takes time to to see if this medication will work for you.

Several years ago I wrote a column on Zack Grienke. He won best pitcher in the American League (baseball). He literallly walked out of a million dollar contract early in his career and placed on the long term disabled list. The reason was crippling anxiety and depression. For him, the magic medicine was Zoloft and he is now one of the highest paid players in baseball. He reported the same side effects as you listed in an interview.

You aren't alone, this proves you are with some of the greats!
Old 05-13-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone - it's been helpful to read about your experiences.

The side effects seem to be settling a bit already (day 4) which has surprised me.

I spoke to the doctor who said heightened anxiety at the beginning was common.

Now - I'm off to learn baseball to prepare for being the first British woman with a glittering, multi-million dollar career in the sport!
Old 05-13-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Casseopia...if you can learn cricket...baseball will be a cake walk.....

***Being Brit...are you familiar with the party game "cake walk"?
Old 05-13-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Casseopia View Post
Thank you everyone - it's been helpful to read about your experiences.

The side effects seem to be settling a bit already (day 4) which has surprised me.

I spoke to the doctor who said heightened anxiety at the beginning was common.

Now - I'm off to learn baseball to prepare for being the first British woman with a glittering, multi-million dollar career in the sport!
Ah Cass, you do make me laugh. And then tear up as I know a bit of what you are going through.

Stay the course beautiful one!
Old 05-15-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

wellbutrin here. When my soon to be ex walked out on me after being sober 5 mos) I was a mess, crying, shaking,depressed, heartbroken (and he was an a-hole). I had never been on meds before.
Sometimes when your in a bad way and you can't climb out, it's okay to ask for help.
Dr also gave me Xanax for anxiety. I was not sleeping more than 2-3 hrs a night for over a month.
I'm 3.5 months out. Last week I realized that I hadn't taken Xanax for over 2 weeks.
I still take wellbutrin, but rarely Xanax anymore. So for me it was a temporary need. If I feel anxiety or overwhelmed again I have it to use (and I will) I'm not to proud to admit when I need help... NOW!
Was a real jackazz for yrs keeping his drinking secret...It made me crazy.
Therapy has been a Godsend, plus being with my dogs and walking, joined the gym and just being outside did wonders.

I think had I taken care of my own needs yrs ago and went on meds, I might have been clearer headed and made better decisions. (2 ulcers later)...I call them beer and Jack & Coke.

I was ashamed for so many yrs that I couldn't fix him and make him love us more than the drinking, when I should have been addressing my own issues being married to an alcoholic and codependency.

There is not a fits all type of thing with meds. Trial and error.

Much prayers and good luck
Old 05-15-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I take zoloft 50 mg and have since 2002. I tried a ton of different antidepressants and this is the only one that I could tolerate. I take mine at night to avoid the side effects. I can tell you listen to your body is the best advice some docs want to raise the dosage quickly and that is incredibly dangerous. Give it 2-3 weeks and then if its not working try something different. Good luck
Old 01-18-2018, 10:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Akc

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Ah Cass, you do make me laugh. And then tear up as I know a bit of what you are going through.

Stay the course beautiful one!
Hi I know this is an older thread but I’m Day 2 On sertraline and I feel nauseous, clenched jaw, and so jittery and Shakey.. Any advise to get through these side affects?
Old 01-19-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Paxil made me lethargic and tired, although I had been on it before. Prozac gave me headaches - bad headaches. Buspar gave me headaches and stomach issues - but I absolutely LOVED how it made me feel. Even AW and DS said I was more fun and upbeat (they didn't know I was taking anything at all) - but the headaches and gastro issues were too much.

I would like to get on something though with everything that's going to be coming up in my life soon.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I take 50 mg sertraline but when I started I took 1/2 pill for 2 weeks before going up to 50 and I take it at night. I have tried all sorts of meds and this one was the mildest for my body. I have been on it since 2001 with really no issues. I did experience the foggy brain when I first started but they kept trying to push the dose up too fast(I started at 25mg then they quickly put me up to 150mg), so I started lowering it and it felt better. I think they probably pushed the 50 on you too fast, its the lowest therapeutic dose but you can still take 1/2 until your body acclimates. I take at night because pills bother my stomach but I have found it really helps me get good sleep and settles my brain. Hope that helps
Old 01-19-2018, 10:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Akc View Post
Hi I know this is an older thread but I’m Day 2 On sertraline and I feel nauseous, clenched jaw, and so jittery and Shakey.. Any advise to get through these side affects?
These are not uncommon side effects for any of the SSRI antidepressants. The majority of your serotonin receptors are actually in your gut, not your brain, hence the gastrointestinal effects. The jitters are also common.

I've started courses of antidepressants over the years, starting with sertraline. These side effects in particular subside as your body adjusts to the medication, it takes me about a week for them to start getting better and about two weeks before I'm no longer experiencing them.

One thing you can do if they are unbearable is to start slower. If you're on the smallest pill, you can halve it, at least for a few days. When I did this, I still had gastrointestinal side effects but they were much milder. Of course there are stomach settling over the counter medications and strategies. Ginger ale and ginger in general, pepto-bismol, antacids, etc. Whatever you do, you can't add Ondansetron (Zofran), which is a very powerful and anti-nausea medication often prescribed for morning sickness and nausea and vomiting during chemotherapy. Unfortunately it has an interaction with SSRI antidepressants like Zoloft that can be very dangerous called serotonin syndrome, and sometimes doctors aren't aware of this. Do NOT take this medication while on Zoloft!!!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:10 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sotiredofitall View Post
Zoloft is wonderful for me, but every one of those can react differently with different people. For me it also helps with a bit of OCD, but it most definitely helped ME with my depression. I slept the first week when starting it, but also began a couple other meds at the same time. I've had to take anti-depressants for a while.
Same here. I like the Zoloft. Completely changed my life for the better.

The first week I started off on 1/2 a dose (25 mg) and then the second week, full dose.

I think I remember being a little tired and had some funky dreams at first, but that was about it. Started working immediately for me.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnrising View Post
I take 50 mg sertraline but when I started I took 1/2 pill for 2 weeks before going up to 50 and I take it at night. I have tried all sorts of meds and this one was the mildest for my body. I have been on it since 2001 with really no issues. I did experience the foggy brain when I first started but they kept trying to push the dose up too fast(I started at 25mg then they quickly put me up to 150mg), so I started lowering it and it felt better. I think they probably pushed the 50 on you too fast, its the lowest therapeutic dose but you can still take 1/2 until your body acclimates. I take at night because pills bother my stomach but I have found it really helps me get good sleep and settles my brain. Hope that helps
This! ^^^ I have to take at night, too.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I take Effexor and Trazadone with no problems. Lexie is right, call your doctor to see if this is normal or not.