Needy men

Old 05-10-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Needy men

I'm surrounded by them!

1) BIL: his mother treated him like a baby since he was 3 when she became a very premature widow. He is now living with us because his mother paid for everything when she was alive and since she's been dead he's blown through her small inheritance and wasted a chance to live in the house next door to us, which I bought for her. He likes to talk to me because I'm "positive"

2) DB: my brother who did SO well for the past 8 months sober at a VA facility. He's been alcoholic since he was 13. But I posted fairly recently about his success staying sober, but he fell off the wagon, posting pictures on FB with him with a martini in his hand. He likes to talk to me because I'm "encouraging"

3) AH, the neediest of them all: He is a narcissist, and he succeeded for many years, as many of them do. Of course, his success was on the back of my compliance with loans that neither he nor I could afford. My bad on that. Lately, now that he's at almost rock bottom, he is clinging to me and at the same time, slaying me with his anger. I am the last vestige of his previous life. And he's not a happy man.

Yesterday, he was screaming at me going through a toll booth at rush hour in NJ. Anyone ever been there? Anything you can do about it? I don't think so. But he was screaming at me that people were "laughing at me" because I let them in front of me (merging is an acceptable protocol in high traffic situations). I kept my cool beautifully.

Today I asked him to call the insurance company to correct a billing mistake (since I'm Medicare eligible and he's the only person left on the billing, he was the right person to talk to customer service.)

He couldn't do it, so I did it.. is that enabling? I'm just trying to make sure I don't have to pay double this month. When they asked me to get confirmation from him that it was OK for me to discuss the case with them, he flew off the handle on the phone. "Why do you always DO this to me?????" What? Ask you to do ONE THING while I'm working?

I have found a potential house up in VT and I'm working on getting it. But what is it about these MEN?

ETA: OR... what is it about ME?
Old 05-10-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh Solo, I hope you get that house!!!
Old 05-10-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

SoloMio, my alcohol-dependent sib cannot do the smallest thing. Everything is a big deal.
I despair sometimes. His disease is kicking his a**, and it just ain't pretty.
Hang in there. On to Vermont!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Vermont is LOVELY. I've done a few trainings there--flying into the teensy Burlington airport and driving up to Killington. I don't know if I'd want to deal with winter in NE, but when one lives in a snowy area one gets accustomed. I lived in Colorado for years but every time it snows in NJ you'd think, based on how everyone reacts, that they'd never seen a snowflake before--that it was some rare occurrence like Haley's Comet.

I hope you're able to get some peace, and soon. Getting screamed at on the Turnpike (or Parkway or whatever) is no way to live.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Vermont is LOVELY. I've done a few trainings there--flying into the teensy Burlington airport and driving up to Killington. I don't know if I'd want to deal with winter in NE, but when one lives in a snowy area one gets accustomed. I lived in Colorado for years but every time it snows in NJ you'd think, based on how everyone reacts, that they'd never seen a snowflake before--that it was some rare occurrence like Haley's Comet.

I hope you're able to get some peace, and soon. Getting screamed at on the Turnpike (or Parkway or whatever) is no way to live.
I LOVE that airport! TSA just standing around waiting for people to come through as opposed to Newark with the masses of people there. I would live in VT for the summer and then go somewhere else in the winter. I have 3 kids in VT and 1 in NJ, so I'd allocate my time accordingly. I found an adorable little summer cabin 15 minutes from my son. Very cheap because it hasn't been updated in 40 years and it's only 650 sq. ft, but that's the charm for me.

I know the Fates will decide what's best for me, but I hope they decide on this little house!!!
Old 05-10-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I remember one trip from Boston to Burlington where the plane was so tiny I could have reached over the pilot's shoulder and flown the plane (or, more likely, crashed it). When it was time to come home, the winds were so bad I was relieved when they kept postponing the flight till conditions improved, but eventually they wound up piling us in a van and driving us to Boston!
Old 05-10-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I remember one trip from Boston to Burlington where the plane was so tiny I could have reached over the pilot's shoulder and flown the plane (or, more likely, crashed it). When it was time to come home, the winds were so bad I was relieved when they kept postponing the flight till conditions improved, but eventually they wound up piling us in a van and driving us to Boston!
They don't even have that plane anymore, to my knowledge. No non-stops from BTV to BOS. I've had to take the Megabus, which is great, actually. $27 for "first class" (you get a table)
Old 05-10-2017, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Ah.

Last time I went, I took Amtrak. Nice trip by train, especially in foliage season.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Have you ever thought that perhaps you need to make changes in who you let drain your life resources.

I was the first in my family to cut ties with my forever problematic brother. Finally 4 years my mother, followed suit everyone else had already. And for many years I was made out to be impatient, cold hearted etc. So I easily distanced myself from that. When it came full circle, everyone now says I did the right thing so long ago.

Bottom line: We can choose who we want to be around. I don't care what aspects of family is involved.

When my EXAGF started to make me regret being with her, you get them out of your life. We can control our own happiness.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hangnbyathread View Post
Have you ever thought that perhaps you need to make changes in who you let drain your life resources.

I was the first in my family to cut ties with my forever problematic brother. Finally 4 years my mother, followed suit everyone else had already. And for many years I was made out to be impatient, cold hearted etc. So I easily distanced myself from that. When it came full circle, everyone now says I did the right thing so long ago.

Bottom line: We can choose who we want to be around. I don't care what aspects of family is involved.

When my EXAGF started to make me regret being with her, you get them out of your life. We can control our own happiness.
This!
My family is the definition of emotionally unstable and needy. I limit my contact because I realized I became everyone's therapist and the relationships are terribly onesided. When I needed help they were supportive but they lacked the ability to really understand what I needed. They couldn't give what they didn't have. You can choose who you're around. IF someone doesn't enhance your life you really don't need to be around them.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hangnbyathread View Post

DNA does not create automatic obligation in my world either, I won't be sucked dry by emotional vampires. People don't always understand my POV, but they don't have to for it to be valid & true for me.

I listened to an amazing interview yesterday with Christiane Northrup, MD that was all about avoiding emotional vampires & how to recognize them; it was really great. (If any of you registered for that Hay House Summit going on now, it was part of those sessions.)
Old 05-11-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ap052183 View Post
This!
My family is the definition of emotionally unstable and needy. I limit my contact because I realized I became everyone's therapist and the relationships are terribly onesided. When I needed help they were supportive but they lacked the ability to really understand what I needed. They couldn't give what they didn't have. You can choose who you're around. IF someone doesn't enhance your life you really don't need to be around them.
I wouldn't consider my family in the same aspect you did. But the point is, we reach an age where we are free to make choices. I am not going to let anyone drag me down. As a result of disconnecting from my brother, my mom took his side. Thus making me choose. So I did.

We didn't talk much for about 5 years. I lived my life just fine. Meanwhile my brother drained her. He was a consummate con man and manipulator. Mom wore her rose colored glasses. Moms love their children in whatever way they need to. I get that.

Then when my dad died, and my brother became abusive towards her, she FINALLY saw the light.

He finally had noone left in the family to drain. He had no more friends. An 3 ex wives. His kids no longer spoke to him. My mom hasn't spoken to him in 6 years now. She is the happiest she has ever been since I've been around her.

These choices aren't always easy, but you are your own ship's captain. Someone once put it in perspective pretty good. If you're on the Titanic, and all you do is move deck furniture around, there will be no life jackets left by the time you finally see its gonna sink. No matter how the deck furniture looks.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

And let me add another aspect to this. My XAGF hated that I knew how to cook, clean, take care of myself, and was doing so before we met. It was a bone of contention for us at the start. So I finally relaxed and let her start doing for me. In her mind it showed I needed and wanted her more.

I learned it was also a way for her to have some control over a lot more than you plan. When it was time for her to go, her story to everyone was, look what I did...I did everything for him. And this is how he treated me. He throws me out. Easily making me look like a bastard. They always saw that she took care of my every need. They never heard the history or reason. So again it was a form of manipulation and control. Those effin men are the pigs..........

So if you get used to doing it all for them, and they get used to letting you........then don't be upset if they go "Why are you making me do all of this now.?" You've kind of set your own standard for disaster by allowing them to become used to being needy.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Time for change. Instead of all this focus on THEM, why not try to focus on what is good for YOU, and stop having contact with anyone who is not part of that group. Including your husband.

Hugs.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When it was time for her to go, her story to everyone was, look what I did...I did everything for him. And this is how he treated me. He throws me out. Easily making me look like a bastard. They always saw that she took care of my every need. They never heard the history or reason. So again it was a form of manipulation and control.
Yeah - I think this is a bit of a common codie trait - I am certainly guilty of feeling like - "look at all I did for him, and this is how he treated me."

So, SO thankful for some recovery and helping me see that some of it was coming from a place of manipulation and control...and a way to make myself feel needed.

ETA: OR... what is it about ME?
We're sick! What we allow is what will continue and we can change it at any time!
Old 05-11-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I WISH I could cut ties with the alcoholic sib in my life. He lives with my mother, who is almost 92 and needs daily help.
He is there infesting the place every day.
When my mom passes or goes into care, he is in my rear view mirror.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
I WISH I could cut ties with the alcoholic sib in my life. He lives with my mother, who is almost 92 and needs daily help.
He is there infesting the place every day.
When my mom passes or goes into care, he is in my rear view mirror.
I felt the same way about my brother. THANKFULLY he did himself in on his own while mom as still able to enjoy having some life left to enjoy. From what I gather, because one of his ex wives dumped it on her, was that he has moved out of country, and tried to leave some crap with her. She wanted to have no ties to him for any of it so she dumped it on his son. Who is trying to dump it on someone else.

I say throw the crap away. All it does is allow him to keep some of your energy.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yah. My sib moving out of the country is one of my fondest wishes.
Not gonna happen, but I can dream.
And, speaking of crap, along with all of his other charming qualities, he's a hoarder.
The garage is full of his junk.
I found out the other day by accident that he cuts his own hair because, as he told mom, "he doesn't have any money."
Which is a lie.
He lives like a homeless person, but he isn't homeless.
Not yet.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
What we allow is what will continue and we can change it at any time!
YES

True freedom for me is knowing that I don't have to cut off every single person who feels problematic for me. I have many, many options now instead of two limiting extremes of "fix it" or "throw the bum out." I can change my perspective and my thoughts at any time and by so doing, I can change my experience of people, especially the problematic ones. There are many more options besides either suffering in silence or cutting people off. I can chose to focus on all the negatives about someone or I can choose to focus on what feels better for me. Nobody is all good or all bad - and I don't even think there is such a thing as a "needy person." Our response to people, what we bring to the situation emotionally, is what determines our experience with them. Awareness of my emotional choices is true freedom and health, to me.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post

I listened to an amazing interview yesterday with Christiane Northrup, MD that was all about avoiding emotional vampires & how to recognize them; it was really great. (If any of you registered for that Hay House Summit going on now, it was part of those sessions.)
Thank you for turning me on this audio, FireSprite. I'm listening to it right now, and I really do need to hear those messages--it's really good! I also bought her "Goddess" book on Kindle.

I agree with everyone who said that I don't have to sign up for the negative vibe. This audio now is talking about "rescue addiction" and how real love transcends the need to save people. Really good stuff!