Finally!!

Old 05-03-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally!!

Good morning everyone!
Well, I finally passed all my licensing exams! I feel like I just graduated from college because now I start the career part of my journey with corporate training and online coaching modules, real life scenarios in field training, etc.

Whew....it's been quite a few trying months because I have never had to work so hard for something before on my own merits, not even my degree. Maybe it's my age or the fact that nobody else was helping me pay my bills, etc but I was putting pressure on myself to pass all the testing mostly just to prove to myself that I could start over and that I could succeed outside of my alcoholic marriage.

My son is struggling, though, so please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. He's graduating from HS. He has a lot of trepidation about his future and he's extremely worried about his father. Apparently, my XAH has been ramping up the drinking and the depression and my son is worried about him. He spends a lot of time over at his dad's and I'm hoping that changes if he can pull off community college and live off campus. The school is 45 miles away and I want him to live closer to it instead of feeling like he needs to babysit his dad.

Yesterday I took him to an educational neuropsychologist to get evaluated for his learning disabilities and he lets it out that he's been struggling with depression. I knew he had anxiety issues but I didn't know just how much he was struggling. He does go to a counselor twice a month but I suggested to him yesterday that he should go to some Al Anon meetings when he's feeling low and start finding people to talk to who can relate to what he's dealing with because my network of friends from program have helped me so much in dealing with my own fears and anxieties.

Anyway, I go to corporate training on May 15th! Things are moving fast and I'm excited. The next 2-3 months will be jam packed. How did it get to be MAY already? WOW!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations!!

I'll be keeping your son in my thoughts, too -- I do hope he makes it to an Al-Anon meeting.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats Liz!!!!!!!

I will definitely keep DS in my thoughts & prayers. This is a difficult adjustment period for any teen & I'm sure he feels the weight of the world right now. Keep reminding him that it's temporary, it won't last forever no matter how it feels right now.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad to hear that you passed, Liz--great news indeed!

Best wishes to your son; hope he finds the support he needs.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Woo-HOO, Liz!!! Congrats, congrats! I hope you and your guy do something awesome to celebrate.

I'm sorry about your son--and I think Al-Anon would be GREAT for him. It might show him that it isn't his job to take care of dad, and that stepping away from that role won't hurt his dad.

I got a call a couple years ago from the son of the victim in the most horrific DV case I ever handled. Dad is in prison for the next several years, and son is worried about "taking care" of his dad (who will be close to 70 when he gets out). Son is still struggling to accept what his dad did to his mom, but the notion he will be responsible for his dad's well-being when he gets out of prison makes me very sad. I hope he realizes, by the time it happens, that it isn't his job.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations Liz !!!! I know how hard you worked for it! Now go get 'um girl!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You worked so hard!

Thinking of your son, too. I hope he can get to an Al Anon meeting.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh, well done you!!!!

Old 05-03-2017, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!

I to hope your son finds his way to al-anon.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations! I've followed your story for a long time. I'm so happy for you.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Liz....considering you son's age...do you think that Adult Children Of Alcoholic meetings would be appropriate for him....he is on the edge of adulthood and he is the child of an alcoholic.....
Or, at least to read their book/materials...?
Old 05-03-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats liz!!
Old 05-03-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Liz...Congratulations.....you have completed a big milestone...and I know that it was tough as *ell!
Old 05-03-2017, 10:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's great news!!! Congrats! All of your hard work has paid off!

I will pray for your DS. I know my children worry about their father, and it breaks my heart. My DD is also struggling with anxiety and some depression, that breaks my heart too. The best thing I can do is help her access the tools to help herself, and to listen. That's what I am trying to do!

Hugs to you! I hope you celebrate!
Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wonderful news - well done
Old 05-03-2017, 05:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh my gosh, how wonderful!

Your son is at such a tough age. To take on the responsibility for his dad in his alcoholic state is a burden that he shouldn't bear. I will pray for him.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You rock!!! So proud of how hard you worked to pass all those tests and you did it!! I hope you went out and celebrated.

I agree, keep the lines of communication open with him. It's always a struggle dealing with any active addict. Hugs!!
Old 05-04-2017, 01:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

good one