Couldn't believe the state of my ex!

Old 04-30-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

When I was drinking no one ever told me to stop, but I don't know if it would have done anything.

This last round of drinking, I truly did not care if it killed me. I started drinking in my fifties after having been sober for many years, nearly two decades. Life just got to me, finally. Job loss, financial losses in 2008, all my family members dying, my best friend had a nervous breakdown and blew up her family (figuratively), I found out I had a serious illness - really, I gave up. I was overwhelmed with life.

Alcohol shuts up all that pain.

You say this man is in his sixties? Life is a cumulative series of events that can be frightening and pretty tough - and then add on advancing age and it is even easier to see how this happens. I can easily see how he could just not care any more. Truly. I didn't even care if it killed me.

Then miraculously one day I did. It wasn't anything anyone said or did, because no one knew; I drank mostly alone at home. I just woke up one day sick of it all and got on my knees and begged. That was my first sober day, over three years ago. It can happen.

I didn't even see that the alcohol was causing the continuing depression far beyond the actual events, and I'm certain I wouldn't have believed anyone if they told me it was - I would have listed all the above things and then bought a bottle. It's a beast.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
When I was drinking no one ever told me to stop, but I don't know if it would have done anything.

This last round of drinking, I truly did not care if it killed me. I started drinking in my fifties after having been sober for many years, nearly two decades. Life just got to me, finally. Job loss, financial losses in 2008, all my family members dying, my best friend had a nervous breakdown and blew up her family (figuratively), I found out I had a serious illness - really, I gave up. I was overwhelmed with life.

Alcohol shuts up all that pain.

You say this man is in his sixties? Life is a cumulative series of events that can be frightening and pretty tough - and then add on advancing age and it is even easier to see how this happens. I can easily see how he could just not care any more. Truly. I didn't even care if it killed me.

Then miraculously one day I did. It wasn't anything anyone said or did, because no one knew; I drank mostly alone at home. I just woke up one day sick of it all and got on my knees and begged. That was my first sober day, over three years ago. It can happen.

I didn't even see that the alcohol was causing the continuing depression far beyond the actual events, and I'm certain I wouldn't have believed anyone if they told me it was - I would have listed all the above things and then bought a bottle. It's a beast.
Wow biminiblue !
Your timing is good!!
I am at work just wondering what makes him not stop.
His best friend dropped dead on the way to the airport on boxing day last.
He too liked the whisky too much.
His family is disarray. One of his daughters isn't talking to him as well.
He's divorced and his business runs itself so there's nothing to fill his days.
I so hope you're doing well now.
What you said really resonated with me, thanksX
Old 04-30-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spookyboo22 View Post
Heartbrokenguy I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thanks for your reply!
I just can't understand why they choose to do the things they do. It's such a tragedy for all involved.
I hope you find peace and comfort as you deal with all this X
Thank you. I move closer to peace each day as I make the choice to deal with and feel all my emotions rather than repressing them.

As for why they choose to do what they do- someone once told me, I believe it was actually this forum, that our need to understand why is us applying rational logic to an irrational problem- addiction.

This statement has been extremely helpful for me as I have long been a problem solver and figured that if I just thought about it long enough or hard enough then I could figure it out.

The only answer is that I will never understand why and that I am not meant to.