Friend triggered a hysterical breakdown

Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Let's ask a few questions here.

Have you forgotten why you broke up with him?

Do you think that when people break up they should stop any notion that they will see anyone again?

Is there an idea in your head that they should feel like they should try and get you back?

Do you feel that your ex should feel like you in this process.

In reality, you can only control one person

You

I'm not saying you should go out dating if you're not ready.

But you should stop caring about if he is or not. It only consumes you in the process. He could care less what it does to you. Why let him win again by letting what he does consume you?
Old 04-26-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
loveandmagic....You might benefit from the following:
Papers on Addiction and Recovery
There are several articles written by Floyd P. Garrett, M.D.
You might appreciate the one......"The Addict's Dilemma" and...."Addiction, Lies, and Relationships".....and, "Excuses Alcoholics Make".....

It may help take some of the guilt and responsibility off your shoulders.
Alcoholics don't drink at us, or, necessarily, to hurt us...or, even because we aren't good enough....they drink because that is what alcoholics do...
When they DO drink...it is like major parts of their "normal" brains have been chemically removed.....
This was the best thing I've read in ages. It really brought me a lot of relief. I beat myself up bc I feel like my love failed him, I feel like I just completely failed him. This helped bring me some peace, knowing that he really is just a sick man. 😢
Old 04-26-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hangnbyathread View Post
Let's ask a few questions here.

Have you forgotten why you broke up with him?

Do you think that when people break up they should stop any notion that they will see anyone again?

Is there an idea in your head that they should feel like they should try and get you back?

Do you feel that your ex should feel like you in this process.

In reality, you can only control one person

You

I'm not saying you should go out dating if you're not ready.

But you should stop caring about if he is or not. It only consumes you in the process. He could care less what it does to you. Why let him win again by letting what he does consume you?
I know this sounds crazy... but yes, I feel like he should never be involved with any other woman again, that he should be miserable without me, that he should be begging for me back, and that he should resolve all the reasons why I broke up with him so that we can live happily ever after with my irrationally small Disney-princess waist, and my pet possum Jared playing with our adorable children in the sunshine (bc if I were a Disney princess, I'd probably be given a pet possum in the movie).

I onviously am mentally aware of how absurd it all sounds... but... I just love him soooooo much. And I broke up with him with the intent of him getting his situation together bc he claimed focusing on his sobriety was difficult while trying to meet the needs of our relationship. And then it all backfired when he told me a month and a half later that he's not in love with me anymore, but he still has mad love for me and wants us to be friends. NOPE SORRY BYE.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If a "friend" said anything like that to me, they'd soon be gone from my life. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but it's none of your business any longer. I know how hard it is to stop someone living rent-free in your head, but it gets easier with time. So cry and take an action to help someone else, which always gets me out of my own head. A big hug.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sorry you are going through this.

Friend shall zip it (and this needs to be communicated). Sorry if I am too blunt - but you don't love him - you are addicted to idea of what could have been and use a few good moments of intermittent reinforcement as a back up story.

I had a friend, and my own mother as well express a hope that XAH will find a good woman to take care of him. Because he is all destitute etc. Poor thing. I told mom to keep her genius thoughts to herself. Somehow she is not concerned about me "finding a good man". Lol. I definitely have FOO issues alright.

What helped me to fight temptation to call him and ask for answers etc was a list of "why I am divorcing him" things. It was incredibly powerful tool.

Have you checked out Al-Anon? Although you are no longer with your "qualifier" - I have a feeling you may find it useful.

And dump that friend - did I mention that already?
Old 04-26-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nata1980 View Post

Sorry if I am too blunt - but you don't love him - you are addicted to idea of what could have been and use a few good moments of intermittent reinforcement as a back up story.

)

Thank you for this. It hit me like a sledgehammer to the chest. I feel like it knocked by breath out but it is also exactly what I needed to hear.

I have been doing this and I need to stop
Old 04-26-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I guess I did not phrase it correctly - my apologies. I have no idea what other people are experiencing - but I distinctly remember experiencing feeling like I could not live without XAH, and "love", and feeling helpless, and want to make him better - and this is exactly what I was doing. I was in love with the potential.

I am sorry for your loss. Grief is a process - and it is hard to say when one "stops". Love yourself and care about yourself - and this requires being easy on timelines.

Originally Posted by HeartbrokenGuy View Post
Thank you for this. It hit me like a sledgehammer to the chest. I feel like it knocked by breath out but it is also exactly what I needed to hear.

I have been doing this and I need to stop
Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The following links are part 1 and 2 of a reading about "Healing the Loss of a Dream." As has been pointed out, not only in this thread but in so many others all throughout this forum, what many of us are in "love" with is NOT the actual A, but with his/her potential, with what could be/might have been, with the dreams we had for the future. It's terribly hard when we begin to accept that those particular dreams will never come to fruition, but it's also an important part of healing to realize that what we are mourning is not so much the actual end of a relationship that often has pretty much rotted away already anyway, as it is about the loss of those hopes and plans.

https://www.cottonwooddetucson.com/p...ner-112011.pdf

Old 04-26-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nata1980 View Post
I guess I did not phrase it correctly - my apologies. I have no idea what other people are experiencing - but I distinctly remember experiencing feeling like I could not live without XAH, and "love", and feeling helpless, and want to make him better - and this is exactly what I was doing. I was in love with the potential.

I am sorry for your loss. Grief is a process - and it is hard to say when one "stops". Love yourself and care about yourself - and this requires being easy on timelines.

I think you phrased it perfectly.

It was a sincere thank you. I needed to and appreciate hearing this.

It did hurt my feelings for a second but only because it was sooo sooo true.

Again genuine thanks
Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
The following links are part 1 and 2 of a reading about "Healing the Loss of a Dream." As has been pointed out, not only in this thread but in so many others all throughout this forum, what many of us are in "love" with is NOT the actual A, but with his/her potential, with what could be/might have been, with the dreams we had for the future. It's terribly hard when we begin to accept that those particular dreams will never come to fruition, but it's also an important part of healing to realize that what we are mourning is not so much the actual end of a relationship that often has pretty much rotted away already anyway, as it is about the loss of those hopes and plans.

This is awesome. This sums up my experience perfectly. I realized I didn't actually like my ex kind of early...it actually really hurt. He had amazing potential though. The loss of that dream is a huge blow.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:59 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post

I didn't read much of these but enough to get the gist. I love what it is saying as far as losing that dream is heartbreaking, crushing.

I felt that a zillion times over leaving my qualifier. It wasn't him I greived. I can still taste how pretty that dream was and feel a bit of sadness for it.

Hang tough both LaM and HBG. You two are right in the meat of the hardwork of grieving. Whether it is a person or a dream, it must be grieved in order to heal and move on.

Wishing you both moments where the pain lightens at least a bit.