TV show you might want to see

Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

TV show you might want to see

go to

Intervention Full Episodes, Video & More | A&E

these are actual interventions . an intervention is done by family, friends, loved ones to emotionally compel the addict to agree to rehab.

basically raising the bottom so the addict need not hit rock bottom.

i highly recommend to watch for anyone dealing with an addict.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

interventions run by a TRAINED professional, making ONE offer to the addict - accept the help offered now or "we" will no longer be able to support you, live with you, allow you in our homes, etc.

The show has been around for a long time now. In fact, the addict of a loved one here on SR was in an episode many many years ago. he was in pretty bad shape - i don't recall the long term outcome.

I think the most "interesting" part of the show is observing the dynamics of the loved ones - the severe enabling and codependency. in order for the intervention to have any chance at success, THEY have to change their behaviors. the success stories are heartening, the failed terms of sobriety very sad.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please bear in mind that this is a TV show. Not reality. The show does give a good "overview", or perhaps a "summary", of what a real intervention is like.

In real life it takes a huge amount of work on the part of the family to get to the point where the TV show starts. Most of the larger recovery centers will provide a free initial interview and go into the details of an intervention.

Mike
Moderator, SoberRecovery
Old 04-12-2017, 02:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drinking to Oblivion

I found Louis Theroux's documentary "Drinking to Oblivion" quite insightful.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Another problem with "Intervention" is that the addicts and alcoholics portrayed tend to be those with the most dramatic manifestations of the disease. It's easy to watch it and think, "Well, MY alcoholic isn't THAT bad--maybe I'm making too much out of this."

Or people watch it and think they can stage their own intervention (which is akin to attempting open heart surgery because you've watched one on TV).

It's actually the only "reality" show I can stomach, and that's because its portrayal of the rationalizations of the addicts, and the pain of the family members affected, is fairly accurate and the sense that suffering is exploited for entertainment is minimal. But it shows only the tip of the iceberg as far as what alcoholism looks like.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

we enjoy the tv show Mom with the Mom and Daughter that are recovering AA and drug use.. and the ladies that they are part of as a group.. I think sometimes it opens a door in Eddie Lee's brain.. at least I see a light on the other side of his ears. ho ho ho ho.. most of the time it is very insightful.. some times hard to take.. most of the time.. the easier parts of being that type of family.. the Grandmother just passed and Bonnie Plunkett. did a very interesting thing.. by going to the grave on her own.. she took control for her own life and realized she could not blame everything on her Mom...
sometimes it makes me sob.. sometimes its a great set of laughter.. most of the time it is the life we all are trying each day to just get through..
you know they have to be doing something right this Sept 2017 will be 4 years of AA meetings and coffee and tears and screaming and Mom and Daughter adjusting to life as adults with a problem...
Mom is an American sitcom that premiered on September 23, 2013, on CBS. The series was created by Chuck Lorre, Eddie Gorodetsky, and Gemma Baker and distributed by Warner Bros. Television. It stars Anna Faris and Allison Janney in lead roles as dysfunctional mother/daughter duo Christy and Bonnie Plunkett.
Mom (TV series) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mom_(TV_series)