I Did A really Brave Thing

Old 04-11-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ladybird , what do you want to do? It sounds like at least two wanted you back. The one man wanted sounded like he wanted reassurances that you are resilient.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I had a major meltdown at work once--I screamed and ranted and raved at my coworkers and threw a file before storming out (of my own office, lol). It was when my second husband was in the hospital, literally at death's door from alcohol-related health problems. I had worked long hours a short time before, covering for a couple of coworkers because of personal issues (nothing approaching the magnitude of what I was dealing with) and when I asked for some help so I could go to the hospital, they couldn't spare the time. I lost it.

It all blew over shortly.

I think part of the problem here is that you were away for quite a while, incommunicado, and then you come in and sort of expect everything to be business as usual. They haven't had a chance to see how you've worked at everything to get to where you are now. There's no context for them, in other words.

I think you have to do more than "stick your head above the parapet." You've gotta let people see you on a day-to-day basis. Even if it's just going out on the street, popping in to say hello, how's it going, etc.

I DO think "The Crying Barista" would make a great book or movie title.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I had a major meltdown at work once--I screamed and ranted and raved at my coworkers and threw a file before storming out (of my own office, lol). It was when my second husband was in the hospital, literally at death's door from alcohol-related health problems. I had worked long hours a short time before, covering for a couple of coworkers because of personal issues (nothing approaching the magnitude of what I was dealing with) and when I asked for some help so I could go to the hospital, they couldn't spare the time. I lost it.

It all blew over shortly.

I think part of the problem here is that you were away for quite a while, incommunicado, and then you come in and sort of expect everything to be business as usual. They haven't had a chance to see how you've worked at everything to get to where you are now. There's no context for them, in other words.

I think you have to do more than "stick your head above the parapet." You've gotta let people see you on a day-to-day basis. Even if it's just going out on the street, popping in to say hello, how's it going, etc.

I DO think "The Crying Barista" would make a great book or movie title.
I did make it to the end of the shift but I cried all the way home and never went back. I only realised recently how much trouble my leaving had caused for them. The husband trained me and baristas don't grow on trees around here. He never got anyone any good after. His wife admitted that to me. The coffee place hosted conferences and I was very good under pressure when we had a line of say a 100 people and food to cook too. . I could do all the day to day running and he taught me how to order and maintain the machines. The straw that broke my back was not the job tho. I've explained that too them. They stood stunned and I thought at first they didn't believe me but now I've thought about it cos he said how brave I was I think they just were lost for words.

I think you are right he wants to see how I am on a daily basis so am going in most days. He said he like for us all to go out socially too for a catch up.

My lovely son cheered me up by goofy around in my sunglasses. We laughed and laughed. LOL @ a book. I bet we could all write a few best sellers.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hearthealth View Post
Ladybird , what do you want to do? It sounds like at least two wanted you back. The one man wanted sounded like he wanted reassurances that you are resilient.
I want to manage my emotions better and actually be able to be honest instead of bottling stuff up until I explode. I think the husband, who was aand still is a good friend, wants to make sure I am not going to be put under that sort of pressure again. I've assured him I won't be taking on too much and if I did go back it would be part time. So we'll see what happens.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Lad ybird...I just went back and read about when you went to the voluntary job site......
My impression.....Y ou have got some serious negative self image tapes playing in your head. Negative self talk.....where does that come from?.....
You did the job better than anyone else...you admitted this, yourself. You have a lot of talent. You aren't a menace....you are a person who has been very h urt by other people in your life who are toxic..insensitive...self centered...entitled...
and, maybe that anger is being expressed passively aggressively (indirect, rather than direct)....and, I think you are turning the anger inward on yourself, also....(a mean thing to do to yourself)....
But you are not a scourge or a menace or meant to stay in a cave on the mountainside.....
YesI think you are spot on with this. I was good at the job. I prided myself on it. I loved meeting people and making them feel welcome and everyone I saw afterward said it wasn't the same now I wasn't there.. I think when most people you are close to rejects you it is very hard not to take it personally. That is my problem. I think there must be something wrong with me . I need to remember while I have my faults, not all of the outcomes are my fault. Thanks
Old 04-15-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Update

I've been visiting the coffee place all week and re-connecting with friends there and making new ones. It feels like home to me now I've remembered how home feels.

The manager mentioned me going back to work and said he was running it past the boss over him a few days ago. Today he said I can go back when am ready.

This whole situation and my responses to it has taught me so much I can't even begin to describe.

One is I am way more liked then I ever imagined and have been missed. That my leaving as I did hurt people but they are prepared to give me another chance. That is humbling.

My negative feelings about myself are MINE. They are not vibes from other people. Feelings are not facts. I assume too much when I am in that negative zone.

Nothing I commit to has to be forever. I can give enough of myself that I am comfortable with doing and not beat myself up if it doesn't alway go according to plan.

That if I reach out and open up people do care even tho my experiences are outside their understanding.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:10 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybird579 View Post
I've been visiting the coffee place all week and re-connecting with friends there and making new ones. It feels like home to me now I've remembered how home feels.

The manager mentioned me going back to work and said he was running it past the boss over him a few days ago. Today he said I can go back when am ready.

This whole situation and my responses to it has taught me so much I can't even begin to describe.

One is I am way more liked then I ever imagined and have been missed. That my leaving as I did hurt people but they are prepared to give me another chance. That is humbling.

My negative feelings about myself are MINE. They are not vibes from other people. Feelings are not facts. I assume too much when I am in that negative zone.

Nothing I commit to has to be forever. I can give enough of myself that I am comfortable with doing and not beat myself up if it doesn't alway go according to plan.

That if I reach out and open up people do care even tho my experiences are outside their understanding.
Amazing Ladybird. I'm so, so pleased this week went well for you.
Print your post out and put it somewhere you can reread it when feelings start to feel like facts again (because they will at various points in your life), when you are struggling to find humility need to face your fears, and when you are scared to give someone else a second go when they apologise and ask for one.

Lovely post to read. Thanks for sharing.

BB
Old 04-15-2017, 07:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Spectacular. Yay, you!!!
Old 04-15-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A work in progress

What a happy update! I had a feeling that's what would happen if you stuck around for a bit. I know *I* have seen TREMENDOUS growth in you from the way you were when you first came around here. And I know you only from your posts!

I've talked before about how I've noticed you sometimes tend to look at things in a black-and-white way. This is another example where there is a lot more nuance, and a lot more possibility, than is obvious on first glance or first emotional reaction.

Good job!! Proud of ya!