How to let go

Old 04-08-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to let go

My ex and I had a weird relationship.. well I'm very strong headed, smart, but I always wanna help people. Well just the ones I really care about. My ex was an alcoholic, went to rehab, is out now, refuses to contact me. But he's given me no explanation why. If he told me why he can't because of a b and c I'd be bummed out but a lot better than I am now. I'm also sober, just never got into drugs and alcohol. But he's been contacting our old friends that he used to drink with every single day. So 1. I'm not understanding how that works.
2. What really happens after rehab?
3. How do I let go? Should I let go?
4. Why is it that the significant other (me in this case) is looked at in recovery as "the bad guy" or not a good idea?

I've been looking all over this forum to find and read whatever I can that will help me understand cause I literally don't, and I'm not afraid to admit that. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Old 04-08-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Theresa, it's cruel of him not to at least let you know why he's acting this way and it would be hard for you to find closure.

I've seen many posters who have had a similar experience of their A breaking off contact on leaving rehab. There could be many reasons, but some of the more common ones are:
Met someone in rehab - it's an intense, intimate place where close connections are often made.
He may want to concentrate exclusively on himself and his recovery, and for what ever reason feels you would interfere with that process.
He may have relapsed and doesn't want to discuss it.
He may feel you're too dominating and he's not strong enough to cope with that right now.

Or something completely different.

In the face of this frustrating silence from him, you're going to have to be strong and stop obsessing about it. You can concentrate on living your own life, and moving on from him. If that's the way he wants to end it, its a reflection on him, not on you, and you deserve better than that. And yes, he's made his attitude clear, so moving on is the only way to go.

I'm pretty sure no recovery program would call you 'the bad guy' but your ABF might have identified his relationship with you as a trigger to his drinking, or may simply want to do this on his own, away from the old routines.

Have you considered going to Al-anon (for the F&Fs, not the addict)? It could be the best way to meet people who understand what you're going through.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Theresa, it's cruel of him not to at least let you know why he's acting this way and it would be hard for you to find closure.

I've seen many posters who have had a similar experience of their A breaking off contact on leaving rehab. There could be many reasons, but some of the more common ones are:
Met someone in rehab - it's an intense, intimate place where close connections are often made.
He may want to concentrate exclusively on himself and his recovery, and for what ever reason feels you would interfere with that process.
He may have relapsed and doesn't want to discuss it.
He may feel you're too dominating and he's not strong enough to cope with that right now.

Or something completely different.

In the face of this frustrating silence from him, you're going to have to be strong and stop obsessing about it. You can concentrate on living your own life, and moving on from him. If that's the way he wants to end it, its a reflection on him, not on you, and you deserve better than that. And yes, he's made his attitude clear, so moving on is the only way to go.

I'm pretty sure no recovery program would call you 'the bad guy' but your ABF might have identified his relationship with you as a trigger to his drinking, or may simply want to do this on his own, away from the old routines.

Have you considered going to Al-anon (for the F&Fs, not the addict)? It could be the best way to meet people who understand what you're going through.
Yes I've considered going to Al Anon.. just finding the time.. I remember him saying to my friend "I know if I talk to her I would try to manipulate her"... and to me when we talked for a week, he told me he has a lot of shame and guilt towards me. I went to therapy, and took meds in the past months and it was awful. Quickly got off of the meds I knew they weren't for me, but this is the hardest thing. And especially cause he just stopped talking to me, no explanation why. It's hard to move on for sure. That's why I'm thinking it's not over yet.. I mean the situation. I know he'll call me or see me someday and I have no idea what would happen. Thanks for the response
Old 04-09-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, it sounds to me like he's given you an explanation. He said he feels a lot of shame and guilt toward you. Right after rehab, in early recovery (assuming that he still is), an alcoholic is feeling pretty fragile. And most of us do feel incredible shame and guilt about things we did when we were drinking. He's not feeling like he can face that or cope with it just yet. If he continues to work his recovery, he will. That is no guarantee that he will want to resume the relationship--people do change and a relationship that seemed like a good fit while he was drinking may no longer feel that way now that he's sober. It isn't a reflection on YOU, it's just that people sometimes grow in different directions.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it an be over when YOU say so......instead of sitting around waiting to see if he changes his mind. screw that. he BAILED. his actions tell you more than his words ever could. haven't heard his "words" over the years? blah blah blah, yada yada.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

But he's been contacting our old friends that he used to drink with every single day. So 1. I'm not understanding how that works.
2. What really happens after rehab?
3. How do I let go? Should I let go?
4. Why is it that the significant other (me in this case) is looked at in recovery as "the bad guy" or not a good idea?
1. if he's contacting his drinking friends then maybe he's not serious about his recovery yet. Or maybe he's not fully grasped all the concepts and tools of recovery.

2. one of two things happen after rehab, he either will jump head first 24/7 into a recovery program like AA and put all he has into it or he will drink again.

3. You let go by understanding that you can't hold onto someone who doesn't want to be held.

4. I wouldn't say the "bad guy" concept as much as I would say "the enabler". Sometimes just staying with an alcoholic witnessing them drink to intoxication can be seen as enabling. He does what he does with the drinking and you stick around it in spite of the negative consequences can be seen as enabling. Very often in relationships that the alcoholic has there is a codependent enabler and when the dynamics of that change so does the relationship.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
1. if he's contacting his drinking friends then maybe he's not serious about his recovery yet. Or maybe he's not fully grasped all the concepts and tools of recovery.

2. one of two things happen after rehab, he either will jump head first 24/7 into a recovery program like AA and put all he has into it or he will drink again.

3. You let go by understanding that you can't hold onto someone who doesn't want to be held.

4. I wouldn't say the "bad guy" concept as much as I would say "the enabler". Sometimes just staying with an alcoholic witnessing them drink to intoxication can be seen as enabling. He does what he does with the drinking and you stick around it in spite of the negative consequences can be seen as enabling. Very often in relationships that the alcoholic has there is a codependent enabler and when the dynamics of that change so does the relationship.
We argued a lot. I wanted him to leave for months. I knew it wasn't just that easy. I never enabled him. He knew I didn't like the drinking either. But I wanted to be there for him and support him and encourage him. Seems like he just pushed me away. Maybe he's not ready to let go of old friends?
Old 04-09-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Well, it sounds to me like he's given you an explanation. He said he feels a lot of shame and guilt toward you. Right after rehab, in early recovery (assuming that he still is), an alcoholic is feeling pretty fragile. And most of us do feel incredible shame and guilt about things we did when we were drinking. He's not feeling like he can face that or cope with it just yet. If he continues to work his recovery, he will. That is no guarantee that he will want to resume the relationship--people do change and a relationship that seemed like a good fit while he was drinking may no longer feel that way now that he's sober. It isn't a reflection on YOU, it's just that people sometimes grow in different directions.
It was almost a good fit. We got along the best when he wasn't so drunk, near the end... he started to cut back himself. And he got a little agitated because of it but not towards me, towards our friends. He knew I hated the drinking, cause I saw what it did to him. I could tell he wanted to change. And he went to rehab all by himself and paid for it! I'm very proud of him. I told him that so many times.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
it an be over when YOU say so......instead of sitting around waiting to see if he changes his mind. screw that. he BAILED. his actions tell you more than his words ever could. haven't heard his "words" over the years? blah blah blah, yada yada.
Yeah I sent him a nice novel.. explaining I was hurt. He used to do anything for me.. without me even asking. He was nuts about me, all of this is just a slap in the face for me.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Should I walk away? I mean should I keep my hopes up?
Old 04-09-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Theresa96 View Post
Should I walk away? I mean should I keep my hopes up?
There isn't anything in your original post that indicates you should keep your hopes up, and a lot that says you should walk away.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

What would be the point in waiting around? It doesn't sound like he's ASKING you to wait around (which still wouldn't obligate you to do that).

Here's what jumped out for me, in your first post: "I'm very strong headed, smart, but I always wanna help people. Well just the ones I really care about."

Did you maybe, unconsciously, get attracted to this guy because he made you feel NEEDED? My older son, who is now 30, had a real passion for the wounded people he came across in his world. Friends with problems. BIG problems. The last relationship he was in, before his current g/f, was with a woman who had serious psych issues (probably borderline personality) and was abusive toward him. Before her, he had a collection of male and female friends with one thing in common--they were almost universally people with serious "issues"--he found himself in trouble more than once where these friends were involved. But he was kind, and he felt for them, and he wanted to be their friend because, well, they seemed to need a friend.

He's finally learned to make appropriate boundaries and to steer clear of people whose issues negatively impact his life. I'm very proud of him.

Maybe that doesn't describe you, but it was in the first line or two of your very first post. Maybe it's something to think about?
Old 04-09-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

We argued a lot. I wanted him to leave for months. I knew it wasn't just that easy. I never enabled him. He knew I didn't like the drinking either. But I wanted to be there for him and support him and encourage him. Seems like he just pushed me away. Maybe he's not ready to let go of old friend
Wanting him to leave and actually following through with making him are two different things.

He knew you didn't like his drinking but he did it anyway and continued to live with you in spite of your feelings. Did he also drink in your home?

I don't see you have a choice here, he already walked away. And I also don't see anything that would indicate you holding out "hope".
Old 04-09-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
What would be the point in waiting around? It doesn't sound like he's ASKING you to wait around (which still wouldn't obligate you to do that).

Here's what jumped out for me, in your first post: "I'm very strong headed, smart, but I always wanna help people. Well just the ones I really care about."

Did you maybe, unconsciously, get attracted to this guy because he made you feel NEEDED? My older son, who is now 30, had a real passion for the wounded people he came across in his world. Friends with problems. BIG problems. The last relationship he was in, before his current g/f, was with a woman who had serious psych issues (probably borderline personality) and was abusive toward him. Before her, he had a collection of male and female friends with one thing in common--they were almost universally people with serious "issues"--he found himself in trouble more than once where these friends were involved. But he was kind, and he felt for them, and he wanted to be their friend because, well, they seemed to need a friend.

He's finally learned to make appropriate boundaries and to steer clear of people whose issues negatively impact his life. I'm very proud of him.

Maybe that doesn't describe you, but it was in the first line or two of your very first post. Maybe it's something to think about?
I just saw what his addiction was doing to him. It's like I saw the person trying to get out. It was sad. That made me fall for him. But he did treat me well. There were times he tried to manipulate me, he failed lol. It's hard to cause he's my first relationship and my "first" so I'm kinda stuck lol.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Wanting him to leave and actually following through with making him are two different things.

He knew you didn't like his drinking but he did it anyway and continued to live with you in spite of your feelings. Did he also drink in your home?

I don't see you have a choice here, he already walked away. And I also don't see anything that would indicate you holding out "hope".
We didn't live together. He lived with a friend/ and at home with parents. He knew I didn't like his drinking he didn't drink around me. I told him I wanted to support him and be with him and encourage him. He asked me to visit him and send letters. He told me not to stick around. I said I wanted to. But here we are.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

What do I do if he comes back to me? Take him back? Not sure maybe more of a gut feeling I'll have then? Thanks everyone for helping me
Old 04-09-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Why would take back someone who would treat you this way? You deserve better.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
Why would take back someone who would treat you this way? You deserve better.
Very true. Thank you. I know it'd be hard not giving in to him.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Theresa...it will be a lot easier not to give in to him if you remember that you would just be asking for another big slice of the misery pie.......
Old 04-09-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, attraction to people who are "sad" and "need help" is a pretty good indication that you are likely to wind up with more of these relationships--like my son did--and a lot of unhappiness and drama. At worst, you will wind up with someone who actually abuses you physically, emotionally, and/or financially. Abusers have radar for people like you.

If I were you, I'd consider exploring your feelings for someone like this. It isn't like falling in love with someone and then having a problem develop that you never had reason to see coming. This guy might as well have had a neon sign on his forehead, and you were attracted to that. You could be headed for a worrisome future unless you examine that tendency and work to overcome it.