I am new here

Old 12-31-2001, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HeartBroken

Post I am new here

I've been lurking here the last two days, reading.

I am glad I found a place to talk. My husband drinks too much. We've been together for six years (four of them married) and I am afraid it's going to end because of his drinking. We have a son together who is 3. His son from a previous marriage also lives with us and he's 9.

I feel guilty and scared and alone. He went to my brother's house the other night to drop my stepson off there to spend the night with my nephews. My brother drinks too much also, which doesn't help. Anyway, my husband never came home that night. He drank so much over there, he couldn't drive home. He came in the next day around noon like nothing was wrong. This isn't the first time it's happened either.

He won't admit he's got a drinking problem. I'm going to start going to Al-Anon meetings in my area right after the holiday.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and thanks for letting me post here.

Old 12-31-2001, 02:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

[This message has been edited by RovenRev (edited January 10, 2002).]
Old 12-31-2001, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Becky

I hope you will go to meetings and think of yourself and the children. You can not help someone that doesn't want help. My son has problems with drugs for the last seven years. He still will not admit he has a problem. I have deceided that I can only help myself, we can change anyone else.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2001, 05:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Needles

Hi heartbroken & Rev, I am so sorry to hear your story, Rev, and bless you that you are sober with this burden that you must live with every day. And heartbroken, my children were little when my ex-husband drank and because of it I had 6 slight strokes before I was 25. On doctor's advice, I had to eliminate the problem which I did. I am not sure which was worse for the kids, to leave their father, or see him drunk all the time. Whatever course you choose, my prayers are with you.

Old 12-31-2001, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Old 12-31-2001, 06:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Needles

That is what I meant Rev, the loss of your family. My husband begged me not to leave, that he could not live without his children, but on the advice of a Neurologist, I left. It broke my heart, but if i wanted to see my children grow up, (the doctors words) I had to leave. My heart goes out to anyone who loses the people they love.

Old 12-31-2001, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused