Let Go and Let God

Old 09-28-2001, 10:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Smile Let Go and Let God

Well, just a note to say that letting go is really easy when you do step three "which is let go and let God". I lived with an alcholic for 24 years. I finally quit holding my breath that he would come home after work and not go to the bar. That we could go out for an evening and not have it end in disaster. I tried to detach from his alcoholism with love. I have discovered that I can't do that so I had to just detach. Our divorce was final on September 17th and guess what? The world has not ended. I am going to be fine. My three teens are doing even better than when I stayed married for their sake. Don't get me wrong. I still have the headaches of bills and 3 teens and the animals, etc., but I don't have to babysit a 50 year old anymore. I told him he could have liberal visitation, but not when he's drinking. I told him he could come to the house for visitation, as he is staying at a buddy's place that is not condusive to children, and I would leave. BUT, he will not be there drunk. I will not argue with him drunk (what's the point of arguing with a drunk person?). But, most of all I go to my meetings. I find myself smiling a lot more nowadays. I am getting out more and finally living a life. I don't have anyone special except me right now and that is enough for today. Who knows what tomorow will bring but today is good and I look forward to tomorrows now. Thank you for this line for MY recovery.
Old 09-28-2001, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations Cheryl....
I started smiling again when my addict left town, too. That tells us we did the right thing.
Smoke
Old 09-28-2001, 12:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Angela

You've done a really brave thing.

I left my alcoholic husband after 10 years, and you're right - it wasn't as frightening as I thought it was going to be.

Keep smiling!!!

Angela