Potential....

Old 04-02-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Potential....

having watched the back end of a giraffe for about a month now, i started thinking about the concept of Potential. as loved ones of addicts/alcoholics we often focus on what we believe we see in them, what they COULD be, the times we are sure we see signs of that potential.

while there is evidence that April IS indeed pregnant, and has been since 2015 (think about THAT for a moment!), and the webcam was fired up on Feb 23rd with millions of viewers........we are all still waiting. over the past month plus there have been various signs and indications that April was "getting ready" to give birth. viewers have hung on every tail swish, foot stomp, and poop. people have lost sleep watching the silent feed, waiting.....

yesterday appeared to be THE DAY. the day that all that anxious, bleary eyed HOPE would come to fruition. Ollie, her mate, paced like any nervous father.

and yet........we got nuthin'. with every sign and indication and educated guess, with vet checks and signals galore. those of us who find ourselves constantly checking and refreshing, feel we have become experts. i swear there was a time on Friday when i thought for sure that baby was on it's way out!!! but she was just trying to lie down.....

i suppose the big difference is we can still assume/hope/project that a baby giraffe WILL come flying out hooves first at some point. we can't say so with such confidence about a loved one's sudden "birth" into sobriety. while we can assume that it just can't be THAT much longer, that no one can just keep being so danged pregnant forever, we just can't say the same for the alcoholic. there just are no guarantees. and not all the wishing, waiting or watching can make it happen.

now excuse me while i go check the webcam again. ooo, tail raise!! ah darn it's just pee............
Old 04-02-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anvil, you make me laugh until I have to pee, too!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

New meetings will have to begin..............hello my name is atalose and I can't stop watching the giraffe! lol

But a great post depicting "potential". Thank you
Old 04-02-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No. Kidding.

Good one, Anvil
Old 04-02-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was completely confused by this post Anvil as I didn't know about April so it took me awhile to catch on. Laughed and then checked out a couple of articles.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Loved this! So very spot on. I feel like Ollie...
Old 04-03-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bekindalways...............just say no!!! lol

step away from those articles and what ever you do- don't turn on that webcam....hahaha
Old 04-03-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love how recovery becomes so ingrained in us that we can even find relatable points in the gestational cycle of giraffes.

Love this!

Old 04-03-2017, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness- I am SOOOO glad I am not the only April watcher. She has brought me some comfort during these recent hard times. I had hoped for an April Fool's baby. lol
Old 04-03-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

HAHA, I'm dying!

I have dodged the giraffe...mainly because I don't have any interest in seeing ANYTHING give birth...

Bu substitute "a month" for "years" in this sentence:

having watched the back end of a giraffe for about a month now
And that's pretty much the perspective in any relationship with an active addict right there.

Thanks for the out loud laugh at work!