Old 10-14-2004, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i am so happy to find a place i can ask my questions. i have recently found out that my fiance' is an alcoholic. he knows he needs treatment and is right now with his family to "dry out". he was working in the east coast(he was fired b/c of his drinking) while i am going to school on the west coast.( i am in my 30's). my friends tell me to break up with him b/c he'll be nothing but trouble but i love him. i have started therapy to cope b/c i found out i am co-dependent. i never saw him drink in front of me b/c i don't drink myself. so i want to know what lays ahead of me on this journey with this man.i don't have anyone to ask so here i am thanks :lumpy
Old 10-14-2004, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Pixiegirl,

Welcome to SR. They (we) are a great bunch of people here.

You might want to have a nose around and read some of the threads to answer your questions about what lies ahead.

Is your boyfriend getting any help with his drinking apart from drying out with his family?

You've found the right place. Don't be afraid to ask questions - that's what we're here for.

Take care

Minnie
xxx
Old 10-14-2004, 04:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Hi Pixie,

Really good post. And a very interesting thought for you. A few days ago, someone asked if they knew what they did now, would they have married the alcoholic.

It might be worth your time to go back a page or two and read the posts. Lots of us were in your situation and still married the A. I have no regrets because of my mental and spiritual growth. But others said, "NO WAY" .

Other then reading that post, read all of them to get an education about the disease.

Love is a wonderful thing, but it can be the most painful experience in your life with an alcoholic.

Wishing you well and keeping you in my prayers :rose ,

Kathy
Old 10-15-2004, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Welcome pixiegirl,
Sounds like you are already getting some help for this. Reaching out and finding support can help get us through whatever we need to face. If you haven't been to an Al-Anon meeting, you may want to check one out. To find a meeting in your area http://www.al-anon-alateen.org/english.html and select "How to locate a meeting."

There is plenty of support out there, no matter whether you choose to stay or not. That is a personal decision, and no one can tell you what YOU should do. But it would not be bad to learn as much as you can about the disease of alcoholism, and be clear on what you are facing. Hugs, Magic
Old 10-15-2004, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks!

i want to thank the people who have responded to my post. it really makes me feel good that strangers do care about someone they don't know. thank you