Love - the Netflix series

Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Love - the Netflix series

Has anyone else watched this new series?

I kind of got into Season 1 last year but wasn't quite sure how I felt about it/where it was going. Now that I just finished binge watching season 2, I'm really liking this show. It took me a while to really sink into the characters & "see" them, even though I found a lot of it very quirky & witty in a real-life kind of way.

It is striking me as raw & honest & it could be subtitled: "Love - a real look at living with cross-addictions and co-dependency."

I don't want to spill 2 seasons worth of spoilers in the first post but if you are looking for a mature, quirky drama that isn't a tear-jerker the way "This Is Us" tends to lean, you might want to try Love out for a few episodes.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started to watch it and I liked it, although it became very painful to watch. A little too close to home. I may start watching again once a little more time passes.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I watched just the first episode and didn't love it - looks like I need to circle back!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds interesting and worth giving it a watch, thanks!!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Never heard of it and always looking for something new to watch now that I have all this free time!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
I watched just the first episode and didn't love it - looks like I need to circle back!
It definitely took time to let the story & characters develop. I'm pretty sure I stuck with it out of strict curiosity - everything seemed so disjointed at first, I just couldn't imagine how it was going to come together. Her addictions spill out the sides regardless of her high functioning state but it takes a lot longer to recognize the unchecked codependency running rampant in his world.

The way the addict/codie seem to be drawn together despite both logically knowing that they don't make sense is so realistic, it's eerie. It's likely easy to dismiss as "unreasonable" because you want to say - who would tolerate THAT?.. who would stay & be treated this way?.... (yet we know the answer - WE are those people a lot of the time, slowly adjusting to the ever-increasing temperature of the water) It builds subtly, IMO, the same way it does IRL. I'm pretty sure when I go back & re-watch it in a few weeks, I'll pick up a lot more than I did the first time around.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah wow - sucked in and 2 seasons down in less than a week.

The relationships and characters were pretty painfully familiar.

I saw some of myself in every one of them. I see 4 ex boyfriends in the show, and my boss. It's crazy, and a little raw for me too. What an interesting perspective as a codie to watch codies in action - the show made our part pretty clear. It's very good!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hear ya, firebolt. What's ironic is that I was able to call out all those codie behaviors from the get-go, but didn't start to see the negative impacts until much farther in the series. Or - I didn't interpret them as negative for a while, might be the better way to say it. It was close to the end of season one before I realized, yes, she's a mess but she KNOWS it. The subtle stuff really resonated for me - how a day could start out with one intention & end up sideways before you know it.... and how early on in the relationship this is exciting & fun but how it wears on the non-addict quickly when they recognize that loss of stability & control but have no clue how to manage it.... when it becomes EVERY day.

It's a definite testimony to why big changes (like starting or ending relationships) aren't typically advised during the first year of sobriety.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I just blew through the first season in a week or so, and just started the second. I didn't think I'd like it, but I do. What makes for great characters is that they are flawed human beings. I think that's what gets on my nerves so much about "This is Us"--on that show it seems like the flaws are more decorative than they are integrated in the person. Their wonderfulness seems just a scratch below the surface. In this show, it seems like the character flaws run a lot deeper. But you can still turn the character a certain way and see good, or appealing, qualities, too.

Anyway, I'm enjoying it. I think I like my stories a little more on the dark side.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

I really liked the show. A bit raw at times but good character developments. Has some decent humor mixed in as well.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I haven't watched yet, but I'm going to add it to my list of shows I want to see!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lexie....if you like your entertainment more on the "dark side"....I think you might really like the movie..."Last Tango In Paris"....if you haven't already seen it....
Old 04-14-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, geeze, I saw that decades ago, no real desire to revisit it. And after I read some stuff about how Brando and other males on the set surprised his co-star with the butter, I no longer really have the stomach for it.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'd like to watch this show, as well. Once I get through all my testing!
Old 04-16-2017, 05:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My husband and I watched both seasons. We liked it. Like the main character Mickey, my sister is a sex/love addict and alcoholic. That's why I joined this forum -- to talk and learn.

The main character Mickey is flawed but seems to function fairly well -- I know she is in recovery.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
What makes for great characters is that they are flawed human beings..... In this show, it seems like the character flaws run a lot deeper. But you can still turn the character a certain way and see good, or appealing, qualities, too.
Yes, this is it exactly. It's what makes the show relatable & real to me. It's random & chaotic just like we are in real life.

Gad you all are enjoying it!
Old 04-17-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think I have to give it a go!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I think I like my stories a little more on the dark side.
I spent most of last week binge-watching "Shameless" (the US version)...... if dark is what you're into.......

THIS show is the graphic, messy "Anti-This Is Us" and if anything "Love" really seems all the more realistic and middle-of-the-road to me now. Shameless goes too far down the road of complicated & outrageous the same way Us ties everything up into too many pretty, neat packages.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Season 3 just loaded to Netflix over the weekend..... I've only caught a couple of episodes but I have high hopes. I'm forecasting that we're going to see the codie in this relationship struggle with recovery as much or more so than the the addict.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

FireSprite, thank you for the recommendation. Watched the first season this past week and really enjoyed it! Looking forward to Season 2 and 3. Loved the dinner scene with Gus and Bertie and their excessive "thank yous" and hesitation to ask for a better table and then regretted that, too. Too funny...I recognized my codie self in so many scenes. I love Mickey's alcoholic/ addicted character as well...totally messed up, but so endearing at the same time. Easy to see why we codies are attracted to alcoholics!