AH done with treatment

Old 03-27-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AH done with treatment

Venting because I need to.
Due to a weird business change right in the midst of his program, they referred members to other locations and interviewed them all, so AH was dismissed from the program and instructed to continue with AA..but he is done after about 50 days in the program. I feel frustrated to say the least. He was supposed to complete through May.
And he is all up in my business on my recovery and pointing fingers at my faults and how I've changed etc etc. I actuality I am being more "me" than I ever have been and he is now sober and experiencing life as it has been for years...I really don't think he actually likes me, just likes the idea of being married to his idea of me. But that's a different issue.

Quacks that really bothered me I heard last night was:
"I really think I could have quit drinking at any time, cold turkey no problem like I have done. I just chose not to. I was drinking and drinking and you always drove us where we needed to go, so why would I quit?"

"I would really like to be able to have just a beer or few this summer or for so and so's wedding...that will be a year for me and I think I can allow myself that"
So his YEARS of alcohol abuse and abuse of me could have just stopped...but because of ME he didn't stop...that hurt to hear. And he said it so matter of fact and has no realization of how loaded of a statement that is. Ugh.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds to me like he's "done" with treatment in more than one sense, thousandwords. I think things might be starting to look pretty clear to you...

If you don't have plans of your own, now would be a good time to make some. If you do have plans of your own, now is the time you need to stick to them.

You can do it.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Quack, quack, quack.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's not recovery talking.... quack, quack, quack.

It sounds like he's already setting himself up for an "allowable" relapse and that he's already pushing at your boundaries, looking to see how far you'll bend. Staying focused on YOUR needs right now is the important thing.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey, to his credit, he is letting you know EXACTLY where he stands on the recovery issue. He doesn't have a problem, everything is your fault.

FWIW, their keeping him longer wouldn't have changed his underlying attitude.

The good news is that you were all ready to roll when he unexpectedly took this detour. I'd be pulling out those pieces and getting them ready to put into action.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am so SO SO thankful I know about quacks and can identify them now. It really messes with me mentally when I am trying to follow my own truths and compass. I know my reality and am learning to trust it. I had a counseling appt Friday and it was perfect timing to give me added strength.

I kept repeating to him that I am ok, and to please drop the subject and to focus on himself. repeated it over again. That I am 3 years into my own recovery and I know myself better than ever. Him parroting back half information from his treatment program...So exhausting.
Also, I am trying to pay attention to actions vs. words and he is laying it on thick with gifts and dates and flowers, social media posts... etc...looks good from the outside but it is just a bandaid. He is all about controlling me to be who he wants in his eyes. Control control control...just like he controls when he goes off the rails and when he is sober. All to his benefit.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"I really think I could have quit drinking at any time, cold turkey no problem like I have done. I just chose not to. I was drinking and drinking and you always drove us where we needed to go, so why would I quit?"

"I would really like to be able to have just a beer or few this summer or for so and so's wedding...that will be a year for me and I think I can allow myself that"
So his YEARS of alcohol abuse and abuse of me could have just stopped...but because of ME he didn't stop...that hurt to hear
You know it has nothing to do with you.....and you know exactly where treatment is getting him.
And he is not ready to stop drinking. It's so disheartening when they give a little glimmer of hope, and then smash it in a couple sentences.

Keep working on you.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The whole weird business change at the facility sounds like a bunch of crap to me. He is quitting recovery and planning to drink again period. This is what would be bothering me more than him saying some words of blame towards me.

His future is being laid out for you……..he is going to drink again………..what does your future look like for you?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
The whole weird business change at the facility sounds like a bunch of crap to me. He is quitting recovery and planning to drink again period. This is what would be bothering me more than him saying some words of blame towards me.

His future is being laid out for you……..he is going to drink again………..what does your future look like for you?
Yes, exactly.the lack of ownership said a lot to me...that I am always at fault...but I was really disappointed to think forward to another summer of drinking. And the future from there. I do not plan to be there.
Any hopes I had were dashed.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thousandwords53 View Post
I actuality I am being more "me" than I ever have been and he is now sober and experiencing life as it has been for years...I really don't think he actually likes me, just likes the idea of being married to his idea of me. But that's a different issue.

Quacks that really bothered me I heard last night was:

So his YEARS of alcohol abuse and abuse of me could have just stopped...but because of ME he didn't stop...that hurt to hear. And he said it so matter of fact and has no realization of how loaded of a statement that is. Ugh.

This sounds like your husband trying to convince you or anyone else that he's completely in control of his addiction. It's a way of minimizing the severity of the problem, so he can treat it like not such a big problem (and/or not deal with it at all). Sure, I could've stopped whenever I wanted, I just didn't bother. I know I'll be completely recovered for so and so's wedding and can have a few beers, because recovery is no big deal. What's your problem?

He has no intention of stopping drinking.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Hey, to his credit, he is letting you know EXACTLY where he stands on the recovery issue. He doesn't have a problem, everything is your fault.

FWIW, their keeping him longer wouldn't have changed his underlying attitude.

The good news is that you were all ready to roll when he unexpectedly took this detour. I'd be pulling out those pieces and getting them ready to put into action.
Just wanted to say, that I am re-reading this...taking it in...all of your guys' comments. Thank you
Old 03-27-2017, 12:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do what you need to do. If he doesn't get it and isn't even willing to try, maybe it's time for you to move on. No alcoholic likes being left alone with their own stupidity for company, but maybe that's just what he needs. Prayers to you.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Thousandwords, I've been thinking of you. It sounds like he is telling you his truths and how he will live his life. Don't waste your time and attention on his quacks.
You can live your life, your truths, walk your recovery path and be happy.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I kept repeating to him that I am ok, and to please drop the subject and to focus on himself. repeated it over again.
You only have to say it once! You have the choice to end any conversation that does not go well and you have the right to NOT answer the phone again after you have hung up.

Also, I am trying to pay attention to actions vs. words and he is laying it on thick with gifts and dates and flowers, social media posts... etc...looks good from the outside but it is just a bandaid. He is all about controlling me to be who he wants in his eyes. Control control control...just like he controls when he goes off the rails and when he is sober. All to his benefit
He is going to do whatever he thinks is working. Any recognition from you even a thank you is probably scene as him winning you back over or should I say winning you right back to how he wants you to be, passive and accepting of any and all of his behaviors.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
You only have to say it once! You have the choice to end any conversation that does not go well and you have the right to NOT answer the phone again after you have hung up.

He is going to do whatever he thinks is working. Any recognition from you even a thank you is probably scene as him winning you back over or should I say winning you right back to how he wants you to be, passive and accepting of any and all of his behaviors.
So much this! ^^^ I am making it hard on myself by doing this ridiculous dance. I am chasing the path of least resistance in the moment and paying for it later. Mental note to self
Old 03-27-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Honestly thousand, nothing that he said shows any true recovery-
nothing, just quacking, how sad.

I agree with the others, he is planning to drink, if he hasn't already.

Don't lose your hard won recovery strides over this, not worth it.
As you are getting your plans ready though, one thing that dramatically
reduced quacking by my AH (currently still current) was grabbing a
pen & paper & writing it down in front of him, asking him to repeat
verbatum. Some off the stuff was so twisted he simply couldn't do
it. My demeanor while taking notes was to be sincere, as though I
really wanted to understand, which at first I did because, of course,
I thought it was me. But it wasn't and the note taking helped me
by letting me see that & shutting him up. I would ask questions,
like "so your saying I caused your drinking" right? And he would
say no, and then "so what are you saying". It took 2 incidents of
me taking notes and things changed.

I realize this may not work for you, just sharing because in my
case it did and left me with much more peace. This in turn
allows me too see the reality of my life more clearly.

Early on in my recovery The Question of Blame was resoundly
silenced by the 3 c's. As I stated to him, well if I could cause it
I could stop it as well, and how is that working for us? I reminded
him I'm not able to control the weather either.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

He's bargaining. My Abf has done this hundreds of times and each time followed by a full blown relapse. "I just want to have a few beers like on vacation, I can handle it"
Also, I first learned he was going to inpatient treatment for a month, next it changed to outpatient..now it's outpatient and a couple weeks. It's just always some way he has of diminishing real treatment. I understand your frustration. We are trying to control something uncontrollable. It is futile.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mylifeismine View Post
Honestly thousand, nothing that he said shows any true recovery-
nothing, just quacking, how sad.

I agree with the others, he is planning to drink, if he hasn't already.

Don't lose your hard won recovery strides over this, not worth it.
As you are getting your plans ready though, one thing that dramatically
reduced quacking by my AH (currently still current) was grabbing a
pen & paper & writing it down in front of him, asking him to repeat
verbatum. Some off the stuff was so twisted he simply couldn't do
it. My demeanor while taking notes was to be sincere, as though I
really wanted to understand, which at first I did because, of course,
I thought it was me. But it wasn't and the note taking helped me
by letting me see that & shutting him up. I would ask questions,
like "so your saying I caused your drinking" right? And he would
say no, and then "so what are you saying". It took 2 incidents of
me taking notes and things changed.

I realize this may not work for you, just sharing because in my
case it did and left me with much more peace. This in turn
allows me too see the reality of my life more clearly.

Early on in my recovery The Question of Blame was resoundly
silenced by the 3 c's. As I stated to him, well if I could cause it
I could stop it as well, and how is that working for us? I reminded
him I'm not able to control the weather either.
This is golden, thank you. And it cracked me up too- the visual of just putting them in their place. Letting them dig out of their own words hahaha.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

He has plans. They include alcohol.

Do you have plans?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
He has plans. They include alcohol.

Do you have plans?
Yep, sounds like time to dust off the plans you laid away . . . . sigh . . . I'm so sorry 1000words. I wish it was different.

Keep posting, breathing and doing the next right thing.