Adult Children

Old 03-25-2017, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Adult Children

I don't remember who it was on this forum, but a little while back I read a post that mentioned the Big Red Book of ACOA and also that ACOA is not only for people who grew up in an alcoholic home, but also people who grew up in a dysfunctional home.

I was intrigued, and I got the Big Red Book for my Kindle. I read the Laundry List and cried - something really clicked. I identified SO much with many of the items on the list.

I have now been to 3 ACOA meetings, and I am blown away. For so long, I have felt so alone in my struggles, and now I have real life people who understand and accept me. I am starting to feel safe with them, and although I haven't participated in any actual "sharing" yet, I feel so much comfort.

So thank you to whomever brought ACOA to my attention. I highly recommend it.

Old 03-26-2017, 11:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

🤗 Great post!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bump.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had heard of "adult children of alcoholics" before but it always sounded like hooey to me until I really started to examine myself and my behaviors and started digging for answers (or at least the right questions). I will have to get the book - I've read bits and pieces and articles about it and it really hits home for me - my mother is an unrecovered ACOA herself as was my stepdad who was also an addict. It's really liberating when you realize it's not "just you" but is in fact a normal human response to an unacceptable and broken life experience.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by glenl View Post
I had heard of "adult children of alcoholics" before but it always sounded like hooey to me until I really started to examine myself and my behaviors and started digging for answers (or at least the right questions). I will have to get the book - I've read bits and pieces and articles about it and it really hits home for me - my mother is an unrecovered ACOA herself as was my stepdad who was also an addict. It's really liberating when you realize it's not "just you" but is in fact a normal human response to an unacceptable and broken life experience.

Well said!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't been to an ACoA meeting in a long time. The first one I went to, I felt right at home at as soon as I heard the words "Children of Alcoholics and Other Dysfunctional Families".

Just looked up meeting times... there's a new group meeting tonight.