Need support, part 2

Old 03-23-2017, 08:13 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Wow, it may take a while to get your motor running, but when you go, you GO.

All those sound like totally excellent steps. So proud of you!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Well I am finally mad because in addition to me making the last two payments on his car when he was missing , I learned today that he got $800 in fines for getting towed when he disappeared on me. The car is registered in my name so I am responsible for making the payments.

Also when he "fooled" the sheriffs and police and people in the psych ER I realized that he is a sociopath.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:02 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

So glad to hear you are taking steps to separate from this man OT.

Please, please work on yourself. You have been through the wringer and worse . . . .you have put yourself again and again in this position. Please figure out what is going on with you that has led you to do this.

Big hug.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:15 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OT4Kids View Post
Also when he "fooled" the sheriffs and police and people in the psych ER I realized that he is a sociopath.
Congratulations on this realization! You're now on the right path right PAST this loser!
Old 03-24-2017, 05:44 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

OT,
You go! This man is not good for you. In fact, he is detrimental and abusive to you! No one deserves the kind of abuse you have endured. Please take a few minutes to write down all these things along with all the bad things he has done to you so you can remember these feelings when you doubt yourself. So proud of you for taking car of yourself!
Old 03-24-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Yes, I realize he only contacted me because he ran out of money and his car was towed and he couldn't get it out. Besides that, he had me convinced he was dead. I wasted my time, money, energy, sanity, as well as time of police in 3 states, a commisioner, a judge, and several sheriffs and I got more behind at work. When asked him why he left he blamed my mom, my kids, and me for upsetting him. He could not take any responsibility for his behavior. So yeah, I am finally mad and finally realizing that this situation will never change and if I continue to involve myself in it I will end up dead or back in the hospital.

Thank you all for your support.

And for any of you who are in a similar situation, get out before you lose your money, your time, and your sanity like insid
Old 03-24-2017, 08:18 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I meant "like I did"
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OT4....yes, anger can be a strong motivator. Please write down the most horrid aspects of this relationship, and carry it...so that you can keep these things in mind....whenever you might start to doubt yourself.....
It helps to stay in touch with the reality of the pain.....especially, during the first few weeks.....
Old 03-24-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I wasted my time, money, energy, sanity, as well as time of police in 3 states, a commisioner, a judge, and several sheriffs and I got more behind at work. And for any of you who are in a similar situation, get out before you lose your money, your time, and your sanity like I did.
Let this also be a perfect example for those that come to this forum kicking and screaming that their situation is unique and we on the forum are crazy for thinking the way we do... the posters here only want the best for those who are hurting and try to point out the obvious and get so frustrated when they still just don't "get it"... until they do GET IT. It's in their own time just as with OT.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

The good news is that I finally am mad at him. No, I am not allowing him to stay at my house. I went to see my psychiatrist this morning and he increased my antidepressant and added a small dose of anti anxiety meds. He wrote a note for me to take a week off from work. I made appointments with a new primary care dr who does western and holistic medicine and made an appointment with a new Rheumatologist. I contacted my bosses at both of my jobs and am making plans with them to catch up on paperwork. I contacted the local abused persons program and did an intake meeting with a therapist there who will get me set up with group therapy in addition to my individual therapy. I have asked 3 friends, my parents and my sister for support in stopping contact with him and I suspended service on his phone. It took a lot to get here, but I am ready to take care of myself.

Thank you all for your support!
Damn, that gave me goosebumps! Look at you GO!!! Stay strong - it is very easy for us to slide backwards! These are all the right things!!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

If the car is in your name, borrow the $ if you must and get it out of impound.

Then sell it!!

You could use that $ to help YOU right now.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:03 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Good idea to sell the car! I want to see if my ex husband will pay me for half of its worth because our older son is 16 and will be getting his license soon.

This is still hard. I have just been keeping busy..thank goodness for soccer tournament and futsal championship, guitar lessons and dinner with my parents, sister and her kids and having my kids this weekend.

Got some errands done. Got some rest. Need to do more catch up for work.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

OT, if you have the time, I'd sure like to get some input from you on this thread: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...vs-i-want.html

The thread is about the difference between "wanting" something and being "willing" to do whatever it takes to get there. I think you might have some things to tell us about how you moved from "wanting" things to change to finally being "willing to do whatever it takes."

I cannot tell you how glad I am that you've found your strength, your voice and your spirit at last.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I am not mad anymore. Just sad. When does it get easier.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
A work in progress

There's not a set timetable. Look, you're still very close to all of this. The wounds are quite fresh, and you've been dealing with incredible stress for the past several months.

I can promise you that it WILL get better, though. Unless, of course, you maintain contact with him, which will prolong the process of healing indefinitely. If you can firmly shut the door on him and go with absolutely no contact, it will give you a chance to pull yourself together--with whatever help and support you need. I really recommend continuing with therapy. You'll get through this and there will be a happier life on the other side.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

It's going to take awhile OT. Every individual is different. For many it is several months, For me it was several years but . . . It. Did. Get. Better. And was so worth it. Actually leaving my qualifier and staying away from him was probably one of the biggest things I've done in my life.

Please take it one day at a time and let us know how you are doing.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:52 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

It's often said around here that "healing takes time. And time takes time." No shortcut, no way around. You can't rush it or skip it. Doing the work is what sets you up to enjoy the benefits for the rest of your life. As dandylion is fond of saying, "short-term pain for long-term gain."

I made this thread a while ago b/c of a quote on this topic that I particularly liked and wanted to share: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...akes-time.html
Old 03-29-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Just don't lose your momentum! You jumped on and did some really good things for yourself, keep that focus on YOU!

Hugs!
Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Whenever I've finally let go of those things I didn't want to let go of, I thought I would never feel happy again. That I would be sad and depressed forever.

It did take time but that belief turned out to be not true at all.

It was all a matter of riding out that painful time to the best of my ability. To accept it wasn't going to feel good for awhile. That hard time never lasts--it will end.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

My emotions were all over the place for 4 - 6 months. Sad, angry, lost, happy and back to sad again. Then they planed out because I was starting to accept what happened, my role, his role, my responsibility, and both of our actions.

A year out - I'm better than I ever remember being. It comes - work on you, re-find the things that make you truly happy WITHOUT him as a factor! You can do this, be gentile with yourself!