Failing Myself

Old 03-14-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SaveYourHeart View Post
Thanks guys, I know I have a lot of work to do on myself, but it really is nice to know I have a bunch of anonymous internet friends to support me, even when I'm not doing my best.
It's totally okay to not do your best, hon. I personally believe there is sometimes too much pressure to always "do your best": always. And while there is nothing wrong with doing your best, you gotta cut yourself a break now and then and just be okay with just being. Just be. No pressure. No self talk of having to accomplish so much in a certain time frame or you'll feel like a failure. Life tends to unfold at its own pace anyway. Just relaaaaax.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
It's totally okay to not do your best, hon. I personally believe there is sometimes too much pressure to always "do your best": always. And while there is nothing wrong with doing your best, you gotta cut yourself a break now and then and just be okay with just being. Just be. No pressure. No self talk of having to accomplish so much in a certain time frame or you'll feel like a failure. Life tends to unfold at its own pace anyway. Just relaaaaax.
Sometimes it feels like nothing I do is ever enough, like at 24 I should have my life figured out. I feel like everything I've done since high school has been a failure, including my marriage. I guess I'm just really frustrated, but it is always nice to hear that I don't have to be my best all the time. I really do put a lot of pressure on myself.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

At 24, you're barely getting started, my friend. Give yourself a break.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I agree- go back to Alanon. I did everything you have done and I still go- I have had some growth- much more to come - often when I hear a new person share I feel empathy for what I went through at the beginning- it helps me to free myself from guilt, regret, shame, and to recognize my own growth, too. Alanon is for you! so keep going.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

SaveYourHeart - it is ok to NOT be perfect None of us are. Remember to be gentle on yourself. You're going through such a massive and important learning experience right now.

Take time to for some self care, Al Anon, reading, chats with trusted friends/family. Things that make you feel good. (((hugs))) my friend
Old 03-15-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sending you a hug.

I turn 59 next week and I now know two things: first, no one ever has it all figured out because life is a constantly changing thing. Second, anyone who claims they have it all figured out is too smug and tedious to be bothered with.

Be kind to yourself, okay?
Old 03-15-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
I agree - my yoga instructor has always been awesome about reminding us that our personal Best changes all the time - yesterday's Best & tomorrow's Best may be 2 very different versions of You, but they are both valid & authentic. Your Best doesn't mean Perfect, definitely cut yourself some slack!