SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   True to form (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/406027-true-form.html)

musiclady14 03-10-2017 08:22 PM

True to form

As I've posted previously, my three children and I are leaving my AH on Monday. He doesn't know the exact day, for safety reasons. Only that we're leaving over March Break.

My counselors warned me to be cautious at this time because physical violence can come into play.

Things were fairly calm until today. I've been detached and steering clear of him.

Then, today, AH opened a separate bank account and deposited his biweekly paycheque in it. I have no access to funds now, and our automated payments won't go through because the account is at max overdraft.

Then tonight after work AH got drunk and chose a silly issue to get upset about. I was in my daughter's room with her. My youngest son (6) was playing in his brother' s room (16) because big bro is away at a friend's house. Anyway, AH came to the door of dd's room, knocked loudly and stepped inside. He began raising his voice about this non-issue. I remained silent so as not to exacerbate the situation. I could see he was drunk and angry. Then AH went across the hall and started yelling at my ds, using profanity. My son ran past him and into my daughter's room. AH began yelling at me again. Lots of profanity. I said, "Please, just stop." I closed the door and locked it. He grabbed the door knob and tried turning it a few times. When it wouldn't open, he began alternating between banging on it loudly and pushing on it forcefully. He finally went away and has since gone to bed. I don't know how much he drank but it was definitely quite a bit. It was obvious in many ways that he was very intoxicated.

I was ready to call the police. I've done it once in the past. This event frightened my two out of three kids. I felt a panic attack coming on but managed to stop it. AH has never done anything like that before.Hopefully we'll get through this without further disturbances. Staying safe, though. And my heart finally stopped racing. Anyone else have a similar experience when you were leaving? By the way, our wifi gets turned off tomorrow so I won't be back on until Monday. Will be here a bit longer tonight, though. Thanks.

LexieCat 03-10-2017 08:38 PM

Keep your cell phone on you at all times.

I'd also suggest calling the DV hotline or your local women's shelter, and getting some help with a safety plan.

Please check in as you are able to. Do you have a lawyer? You need access to funds, and it may take a court order to get it.

One suggestion--depending on what state you live in, you might qualify for a protective order based on his actions tonight. If you get an order, not only would he have to leave until you are safely out of there, he could be ordered to provide support to you and the kids on an interim basis.

Be careful and stay safe.

53500 03-10-2017 08:39 PM

Musiclady, this is frightening and I'm praying for peace in your home. Why not call the police? Or is there someone else you can call to help you?

I have not been in that exact situation but have been in scary and threatening situations with an ex drunk/stoned bf.

Jaeger 03-10-2017 08:41 PM

musiclady,
Please say safe. I'm not sure where you are located. If you are in the US you may want to look into filing a POA. This would also help you with temporary support since he has cut off your access to funds.

Jaeger 03-10-2017 08:43 PM

^ Lexi posted as I was typing. Definitely look into this! Tonight sounds frightening.

sauerkraut 03-10-2017 09:04 PM

Musiclady,
Call the cops if you feel at all unsafe. I know that might be traumatic for you and your kids, but down the road it can help you establish his pattern of violent behavior (which I'm trying to do with my STBXAH now). More importantly, it sounds like you might need protection now.

musiclady14 03-10-2017 10:38 PM

Thanks for posting. I appreciate your input.

teatreeoil007 03-10-2017 11:34 PM

Musiclady-I'm worried about your all's safety. He escalated, that's for sure. I'm concerned he may escalate again, especially while drinking and it could be worse next time. Please take care and don't hesitate to call the DV or the cops.

hopeful4 03-13-2017 09:12 AM

I think you should call the police. If nothing else to establish this pattern of behavior. I was scared to do so b/c I knew it would be traumatic for my kids. What a mistake.

I did not call the police multiple times on my X. Come to find out in a custody battle, or even a modification later, had I done so (legitimately, as he deserved it), I would have helped my children tremendously if there was any dispute for custody or lessening time b/c of his bad, and very scary, behaviors.

Hugs friend. A day at a time.

qwer1234 03-13-2017 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by hopeful4 (Post 6365311)
I think you should call the police. If nothing else to establish this pattern of behavior. I was scared to do so b/c I knew it would be traumatic for my kids. What a mistake.

I did not call the police multiple times on my X. Come to find out in a custody battle, or even a modification later, had I done so (legitimately, as he deserved it), I would have helped my children tremendously if there was any dispute for custody or lessening time b/c of his bad, and very scary, behaviors.

Hugs friend. A day at a time.

Similar happened to me....I never called police. When I tried to get supervised custody everyone looked at me like I was nuts. He was a closet drinker and abuser and a pillar of the community, health care provider, and church member.

Establish the pattern now.

qwer1234